Klapperkop

MaxUmis

Has anyone been to Klapperkop more recently?

How's the riding? and is it safe enough to do some solo exploration?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother solo there , but I am not to sure aboyut safety . They have fenced of the area but there are no access control at the gate . Apparently there are a few very nice up and down's with the technical sections to add to the fun

I've only done road riding there and trail running.

Road is lekker, there is security at both sides for what its worth, but still you do get some dodgy characters sitting around in their cars. Though there was always 1 or 2 police vehicles there when I was riding in the arfies. Very friendly, greeting you etc.

Did a trailrun there with a lady friend, parked at the fort gate and went from there.

Was a lekker run but area is not marked and kind of "secluded" so wouldn't do it alone.

Maybe we can organise a mtb group ride there, map it with the gps and post "routes" here ?

We used to go "downhilling" there when I was in primary school on Nishiki rigids.

Me too!

I had a black Nishiki Alien before I upgraded to a Diamondback Ascent with suspension, raced the 1993 Provincials down there on it, Matthew Kimble kicked everyone's asses back then.

I've only done road riding there and trail running.

Road is lekker, there is security at both sides for what its worth, but still you do get some dodgy characters sitting around in their cars. Though there was always 1 or 2 police vehicles there when I was riding in the arfies. Very friendly, greeting you etc.

Did a trailrun there with a lady friend, parked at the fort gate and went from there.

Was a lekker run but area is not marked and kind of "secluded" so wouldn't do it alone.

Maybe we can organise a mtb group ride there, map it with the gps and post "routes" here ?

Who greeted you? The cops or the other friendly gentlemen? :P

There is a trail being naturally enhanced by the Zebras. You can enter it from about 200m from the gate at the R21 on the right hand side of the road and it exits onto the road between the radio tower and the top gate. It is about 3km long but quite gnarly thanks to the Zebbies who are loosening up boulders and just leaving them in the path.

There is another path that you can enter just after the reservoirs that heads upto the radio tower it's not long but it is great hill training just keep right and it will lead you onto a jeep track.

I rode there yesterday afternoon on my own and felt quite safe. It would be great if more people would ride these paths and if you have to walk kick some of the loose boulders off the path it would certainly help me.

How many kms can you do at Klapperkop? I'm assuming that the only way to link from Groenies to Klapperkop is via the R21, which is not the safest....

How many kms can you do at Klapperkop? I'm assuming that the only way to link from Groenies to Klapperkop is via the R21, which is not the safest....

You can enter the reserve via the Top of Johan Rissik drive which is relatively safe or you can go offroad next to the fence from Fountains circle up to the entrance. I guess that you could do a loop of approximately 10 kms with mix of tar and dirt. There are other tracks from those described earlier but they end up in dead ends, which means you can up the mix of dirt if you don't mind double backing. This would include some seriaas hills though (well seriaas for me that is) the stretch down to the animal waterhole from the reservoirs is quite challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that thye have graded a fire break along the south western fenceline and I think they will also do the north west as well. This could create a trail of around 10 kays of dirt.

I see that Dirt Rider forgot his rake or maybe the Zebras are still dislodging the boulders <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Also used to ride down the old Downhill track on my crusty old avalanche reflex...that was a cool bit of dirt!!!

there was a newer DH course built for nationals a year or two ago...think it is still there and I used to see groups of car's and riders sessioning it Sunday's, don't know if that is a club or just a bunch of blokes organizing it or how often they go, but I'm coming back to P-town December and bringing my DH rig, so I'll be keen to session the hell out of klappies!!! who's with me?

• 3 weeks later...

The fire breaks have added about 6km of offroad to Klapperkop and I see more and more people are riding offroad. I just hope that criminals stay away and no bikejacking is experienced.

I've asked this in another topic as well, but didn't get any responses.

At the monument there is also about 12km of off-road, with quite a few nice on-road climbs you can do.

But at the bottom where the amphitheater is, there is a gate that is supposed to connect the monument to freedom park.

Now this was already planned about 2 years ago, but not sure if it happened, does anyone know??

Plus, can't they link monument to Fountains, and that is already linked to Groenkloof, that should give you about 40km to ride in. Should also be fairly safe.

Anyone know if this is possible?

I've asked this in another topic as well, but didn't get any responses.

At the monument there is also about 12km of off-road, with quite a few nice on-road climbs you can do.

But at the bottom where the amphitheater is, there is a gate that is supposed to connect the monument to freedom park.

Now this was already planned about 2 years ago, but not sure if it happened, does anyone know??

Plus, can't they link monument to Fountains, and that is already linked to Groenkloof, that should give you about 40km to ride in. Should also be fairly safe.

Anyone know if this is possible?

In practise yes, in theory no. The venues belong to different entities. Groenkloof/Fountains belongs to PRETORIA while Voortrekker is a private institute. Hence moving from one to the other would have to involve paying which means additional logistics. Would be nice.

Oh and the guy who reckons there is a tunnel linking Groenkloof and Klapperkop is smoking something