Like Button on the hub

RexFuzzle

40 members have voted

1. 1. Like/Dislike Button on the Hub?

• Yes
    • No

This is an exact copy from facebook, but i think we should have a like button on the hub. Some people have some really sharp comments and it's really annoying reading through everybody else going haha about his/her comment...

Also a dislike button just to say that we don't really care about what you just added to the thread...

If people use it, then we can reduce the unneccasary posts like this one. I would just click on like your post.

Do we then also add an undeceided "button" ? Where does it stop?

Edited by Crack

I dislike :D this request...

I like what Cassie said.

Please god, by all that is holy and unholy, let's keep the Hub free of such mindlessness.

If you have an opinion to express, then take the time to formulate it. Amaze us with your insight, dazzle us with your wit, bamboozle us with your logic.

Or at least let as laugh at what a numbnuts you are.

...but what does it do...?

It only posts to your facebook profile. "Ricky Bobby likes <thread name> on thehubsa.co.za"

There's also the share function where a link to the thread is posted as your status update on Facebook.

It only posts to your facebook profile. "Ricky Bobby likes <thread name> on thehubsa.co.za"

There's also the share function where a link to the thread is posted as your status update on Facebook.

Thanks. Thats kind of lame...

Thanks. Thats kind of lame...

Gave up on Facebook after I got sick and tired of not caring about frickin' vampires and werewolves and my mates telling us they were just thinking bout possibly thinking about getting up.

PLease don't do it here.

Why does it have to relate to Bragbook? Cant the like or dislike button on the Hub just give an indication of what people think about a topic or a comment? So as I look at a topic and see 100s of likes I can assume that there some good posts there...if I see dislike then I wont waste my time.

All of this is becomming just so impersonal!! I would LIKE to think that our Hub community is a tad more personal than FB and all that twitter crap!!

Keep it real....

It only posts to your facebook profile. "Ricky Bobby likes on thehubsa.co.za"

I think this poll is referring to a per post 'Like / Dislike' button. There's already a Facebook Like button for each thread which links up to your Facebook profile as you've mentioned.

The forum software we use already has a 'Reputation' system which can achieve something similar. It allows you to give positive or negative rep points to any post (i.e. +1 or -1). The thread view can then be filtered to hide any posts with rep below a given threshold. This can be quite a powerful feature if used appropriately, especially in light of the discussions around comments on Classified items, however it's also open to abuse. Used correctly it can mean that the community becomes the moderator for all content whereby the collective ranking of each post will determine their value. But when likes / dislikes (+1 / -1) becomes about who-knows-who and not about the value of the content posted, the system falls down.

Perhaps it's something to be revisited for specific forums only. I'd imagine it could prove quite beneficial in the Classifieds and Tech Q&A forums, for example, where discussion is generally quite focussed and topical.

What are your thoughts? We can use this poll as a gauge of where Hubbers stand on this.

Will the rep apply only to the specific post or to the user who posted?

I could see it being worthwhile to hide specific posts, but wouldn't necessarily want to hide everything from a certain user (though you could add an 'ignore' function that does this separately, regardless of rep).

Will the rep apply only to the specific post or to the user who posted?

I could see it being worthwhile to hide specific posts, but wouldn't necessarily want to hide everything from a certain user (though you could add an 'ignore' function that does this separately, regardless of rep).

The filtering would work based on the rep / points assigned to each post, so a user might have one post with +100 points and another with -25 points. Assuming all posts below -10 points were hidden, you'd still see the +100 post, but not the -25 post.

The cumulative rep for each post made by a user would then make up an overall User Reputation, which would be displayed in their profile.