CSA Licencing

levett

geez I did not know that about Roag shutting down?? :-(

Dont quote me on that, Im going on what someone else said - Im sure they have operating costs too, so a small fee would be fine I think :) Something reasonable

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my issue - WHY must I belong to a club.?

Join ROAG, it is free. And I must admit, I get more from them than I did when I was part of a big fancy club. Now I get news letters and I up to date with what is going on.

Seems the biggest cost is club memebership, i dont mind ours as the benefits such as group rides with back up vehicle, hospitality tents at some races and oher fun day events are included.

Who or what constitutes the average/grassroots rider - How much you can afford as opposed to someone that is new to the sport?

Dont quote me on that, Im going on what someone else said - Im sure they have operating costs too, so a small fee would be fine I think :) Something reasonable

I'm a member of ROAG, and this is from their E-Mail news letter that I received today:

CLUB ROAG – TO CONTINUE OR NOT?

During 2010, the costs of maintaining Club ROAG (including the R3000 CSA affiliation fee) were financed by the “owners” of ROAG. These costs included secretarial and administration costs, salaries, telephone, travel, rent, and various other costs incurred in running a business. To date, membership of Club ROAG has been free. When Club ROAG was initiated, there was little expectation regarding the “popularity” of the club. It was never envisaged (or budgeted for) that the Club would become the preference of so many riders, and that a full time employee (together with all administrative tools – computer, desk, phone etc…) would be required.

It is no longer feasible for ROAG to continue to bear the costs of Club ROAG, and we are faced with 2 alternatives.

1. Close Club ROAG.

Or;

2. Charge a nominal annual membership fee of R50 for each member.

Seems the biggest cost is club memebership, i dont mind ours as the benefits such as group rides with back up vehicle, hospitality tents at some races and oher fun day events are included.

and you get to ride with me :)

I'm a member of ROAG, and this is from their E-Mail news letter that I received today:

CLUB ROAG – TO CONTINUE OR NOT?

During 2010, the costs of maintaining Club ROAG (including the R3000 CSA affiliation fee) were financed by the “owners” of ROAG. These costs included secretarial and administration costs, salaries, telephone, travel, rent, and various other costs incurred in running a business. To date, membership of Club ROAG has been free. When Club ROAG was initiated, there was little expectation regarding the “popularity” of the club. It was never envisaged (or budgeted for) that the Club would become the preference of so many riders, and that a full time employee (together with all administrative tools – computer, desk, phone etc…) would be required.

It is no longer feasible for ROAG to continue to bear the costs of Club ROAG, and we are faced with 2 alternatives.

1. Close Club ROAG.

Or;

2. Charge a nominal annual membership fee of R50 for each member.

Ill be happy with R50 a year for ROAG - Redo my equation

So it will cost me R850/year for myself & the wife to have the privialage of just being able to enter a race + race day fees + cost of getting to the races + extras + R1700 for a safe place to ride/year+ if I wanna ride somewhere else for the day(R50) + parts, servicing + extras+ R100 ROAG membership = VERY EXPENSIVE(just to ride and have fun & few races a year)

I thought all "races" in SA were fun rides, and that our pro's are professional fun riders (quote from one of the pro's) ????

So How does that effect licenses ?

What I can't understand is that everyone is questioning paying R75 a year to CSA and what are they doing with that money, but everyone is quite happy to pay the high fees every week to race for "charity" and never question what really happens to that money.

Personally I question both.......

Who or what constitutes the average/grassroots rider - How much you can afford as opposed to someone that is new to the sport?

My point was more 'what do CSA do for us'in exchange for us paying them?

As at the end of August, CSA had received R3,040,002.83 in Licence fees (in 2010)

and had spent R766,139.94 on Salaries and R231,893.55 on Travel and Accommodation!

Ill be happy with R50 a year for ROAG - Redo my equation

So it will cost me R850/year for myself & the wife to have the privialage of just being able to enter a race + race day fees + cost of getting to the races + extras + R1700 for a safe place to ride/year+ if I wanna ride somewhere else for the day(R50) + parts, servicing + extras+ R100 ROAG membership = VERY EXPENSIVE(just to ride and have fun & few races a year)

Where do you get R850 from? I would say it's closer to R250 (R50x2 + R75x2).

The grammar and punctuation of the CSA document is pretty poor (especially those first three bullet points), but reading the document in its entirety seems to indicate that:

1.) You can join CSA and a club and then get a race licence if you want to do SA champs etc. OR

2.) You can get a day license for every race you do. No club membership required.

You do not need a membership of anything to just ride around by yourself. I asked CSA and they confirmed that you do not need to be a CSA member to be a club member.

You only need the CSA membership or day licence if you are taking part in CSA events. You only need a racing licence for SA champs etc.

This release is being interpreted in one of two ways:

1.) Everything is very like the old system for most riders. Costs remain at around R75 (like cyclosport) for most people. Racing licences cost more, but are only required for certain specific reasons. Day licences required if you don't won't CSA membership.

2.) Dramatic change in cost and licence structure from previous years. People previously on cyclosport must join CSA for R75 and must then must get a racing licence (R300) or a day licence for every race (R35/event).

Option 1 seems more probable to me.

My point was more 'what do CSA do for us'in exchange for us paying them?

As at the end of August, CSA had received R3,040,002.83 in Licence fees (in 2010)

and had spent R766,139.94 on Salaries and R231,893.55 on Travel and Accommodation!

The balance will quickly be wiped out by the Christmas bonuses ;)

One thing that these high licence fees will create is smaller racing groups but the "funrider" groups, A-C, will increase and team racing will just move to there.

So WTF must they write it in such a way that nobody understands it . I am going to ask my security guard to rewrite it and send it to them .

So WTF must they write it in such a way that nobody understands it . I am going to ask my security guard to rewrite it and send it to them .

Maybe that's the whole point. Everyone will give up trying to understand and just pay.....probably the higher amount just to make sure :(

The balance will quickly be wiped out by the Christmas bonuses ;)

Remember they also send a bunch of our "top" cyclist to go and watch the world champs in Australia.

Where do you get R850 from? I would say it's closer to R250 (R50x2 + R75x2).

The grammar and punctuation of the CSA document is pretty poor (especially those first three bullet points), but reading the document in its entirety seems to indicate that:

1.) You can join CSA and a club and then get a race licence if you want to do SA champs etc. OR

2.) You can get a day license for every race you do. No club membership required.

You do not need a membership of anything to just ride around by yourself. I asked CSA and they confirmed that you do not need to be a CSA member to be a club member.

You only need the CSA membership or day licence if you are taking part in CSA events. You only need a racing licence for SA champs etc.

This release is being interpreted in one of two ways:

1.) Everything is very like the old system for most riders. Costs remain at around R75 (like cyclosport) for most people. Racing licences cost more, but are only required for certain specific reasons. Day licences required if you don't won't CSA membership.

2.) Dramatic change in cost and licence structure from previous years. People previously on cyclosport must join CSA for R75 and must then must get a racing licence (R300) or a day licence for every race (R35/event).

Option 1 seems more probable to me.

For myself & my wife for CSA memberships, plus R350 if we both wanted race licenses(cause we are not allowed to get more then 3 day licenses, also makes sense cost wise)