What to eat during ride?

Pls help! I am on a protein only diet, and have lost 9kg's in 4 weeks. I am feeling strong, but starting teh longer rides now. Seeing as I cant use any carbs, i.e. fruit, power bars etc., what can I eat during my long rides?

mmm....

Loosing weight that quickly, you are loosing muscle as well.

You need a balance of carbs, protein and fat in a normal diet.

Just cut out the junk, sugar, oily stuff.

Switch to low gi food, small meals throughout the day.

Eat only protein, you are indeed going to match up to your name.......

Not sure how you can be doing longer rides without carbs. :blink: Yeah, the weight loss is great on a high protein diet but horrid if you workout alot.

I gave up the high protein diets because there were days I just couldn't do anything without feeling like lead. Now I have joined Weigh-Less and I'm steadily losing every week and feel great on my rides. Just as Woofie said above, it's about BALANCE!!

Michelle

Get yourself the following book. Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance. A protein only diet is not safe if you doing high intensity training because carbs is the main fuel which gets stored in your muscles. If you don't eat carbs you won't have any racing fuel and you will burn muscle.

Also invest some money in a bathroom scale that gives Body FAT % (about R300 at clicks) and that way you can check if it is actual body fat that you are losing.

I have managed to lose 35kgs in 18 months and it is important to follow a balanced diet if you want to stay healthy and improve your overall cycling performance in the long run.

Not sure how you can be doing longer rides without carbs. :blink: Yeah, the weight loss is great on a high protein diet but horrid if you workout alot.

I gave up the high protein diets because there were days I just couldn't do anything without feeling like lead. Now I have joined Weigh-Less and I'm steadily losing every week and feel great on my rides. Just as Woofie said above, it's about BALANCE!!

Michelle

Thanx for teh advise. I am on teh Atkins diet

I would have to say get off the atkins diet, not good for training or exercising - You need the carbs otherwise no more muscles :( Great that youve lost so much weight already :clap:

Get yourself the following book. Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance. A protein only diet is not safe if you doing high intensity training because carbs is the main fuel which gets stored in your muscles. If you don't eat carbs you won't have any racing fuel and you will burn muscle.

Also invest some money in a bathroom scale that gives Body FAT % (about R300 at clicks) and that way you can check if it is actual body fat that you are losing.

I have managed to lose 35kgs in 18 months and it is important to follow a balanced diet if you want to stay healthy and improve your overall cycling performance in the long run.

If you are eating properly and have a good drink such as 32 GI or USN Epic Pro, you would only have to eat something every 2:30 to 3:00 hours.

Fruit cubes work well as you will get the sugar which you burn up in any case as well as the fruit.

Your body has more than enough nutrients to sustain itself.

I like protein when I ride, so a protein bar cut in half every 3 hours works for me, but it might not work for others.

I often take a Nougat bar along on my rides.

HL there is also another book you could look at. I always have it nearby and it has helped a lot. 'Eat Smart for Sport' by Liesbet Delport RD (SA & Paula Volschenk Rd (SA). It is focused on a low GI diet. What I especially love is that it is a South African book and lists food that is available here. It has great advise on what to do before racing and after. I've seen them at Sportsmans in Woodmead.

Carbs aren't all evil. We just need to learn which ones are best to eat and most importantly WHEN. Timing is everything.

Mich

Thanx for teh advise. I am on teh Atkins diet

Atkins was overweight his whole life and struggled with heart complications because of an unbalance diet - protein diets are stupid and dangerous.

If you are exercising properly and eating a balanced diet, you'll loose weight. If you want to loose weight faster, eat less, but in the same proportions.

:clap: