XT vs. XTR shifter

Dubber88

There is absolutely no differance between XT & XTR apart from the price, you can ride normal Deore more gracefully than XTR if you just got finess,well that's how I see(feel) it. So unless you are REALLY good, Mmmmmm I think you waste your money on the top-end parts.This offcourse coming from a pleb like me :D

Edited by baie-sukkel

I upgraded from XT to XTR a while back

The shifting is a bit crisper but hardly noticable could be more from new cables.

The XTR's win in the look's department

No indicators on the XTR's like there was on my XT's

You can do a 2 gear downshift with one push of the lever on XTR and XT only does one downshift quite nice feature.

XT does give you great bang for your money but I am very happy with the XTR's

Dont know the weights but I am pretty sure XTR will be lighter

Thanks for the responses!

Biggest difference I could find was the premium for the weight difference.

I am considdering upgrading for a pure mechanical performance upgrade, example faster and snappier shifts.

I currently have Deore shiftersand a XT RD,

Wouldn't the XT shifters justify the XT RD more than the Deore's, on a mechanical level ?

Regards,

The shifting is a bit crisper but hardly noticable could be more from new cables.

You can do a 2 gear downshift with one push of the lever on XTR and XT only does one downshift quite nice feature.

The double gear shifts would obviously be a great advantage approaching uphill technical sections( at high speed).

Is this a feature you use alot?

Edited by Dubber88

With xtr you can shift to a smaller sprocket by pushing or pulling the lever, 1 or 2 at a time.

You can also shift to a bigger i.e 32 size sprocket up to four at a time, thus two pushes and you dump the whole cassette, great if you were pinning a downhill and now suddenly have to go up a near vertical face.

Think if I have a choice I would definitely consider the XTR's just for that specific feature, if I can get them second hand for a reasonable price.

I currently have Deore shiftersand a XT RD,

Wouldn't the XT shifters justify the XT RD more than the Deore's, on a mechanical level ?

I also had 2006 Deore shifters and a XT RD. Changed to 2010 XT shifters and RD. What a difference. In my opinion upgrade to XT.

If you get the XT rapid rise RD with Xt shifters then you can hit the double up shift for the hills and the two way release for the quick down shift. I find that quite combination quite smooth.

Edited by Palaeodom

If you get the XT rapid rise RD with Xt shifters then you can hit the double up shift for the hills and the two way release for the quick down shift. I find that quite combination quite smooth.

So rapidfire plus would be for the shifters and Rapid rise for the RD? My model number for the RD is : M761.

Is this an seperate/ extra model/upgrade ?

The rapid rise is...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20699

the model number is the M770 its just the rapid rise version of the XT RD which has the spring working in the opposite way, great for up shifting quickly. I've got the standard rapid fire XT pod shifter which is also model number M770...strangely.

Those are the model numbers on CRC. i'd double check if to confirm.