Chain whip

Musashi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

manfrog .. you have another picture ? the link takes you to the page - but there is nothing on it

Damn, looks like CWC removed it from their site. Anyway, the set looks like this.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/uploads/images/xlarge/107129.jpg

Make your own chain whip but for what it's worth I wouldn't buy that type of cassette tool. Rather by a good quality socket type tool. The advantages being that you can use it with a torque wrench to tighten, can hold it in place with a piece of threaded rod and use with an open spanner on those jammed lock nuts without the tool slipping. Also I found that with my handle type tool I could only remove 9 and 10 speed cassetts with the axel in place. For 8 speed I had to remove the axel first.

With these stands that suspend the bike along the top tube (as in the 2 examples above), don't the gear cables get interfered with if they run under the top tube? Surely this makes shifter adjustments a problem?

They probably would with mine, but my cables go on top.

Make your own chain whip but for what it's worth I wouldn't buy that type of cassette tool. Rather by a good quality socket type tool. The advantages being that you can use it with a torque wrench to tighten, can hold it in place with a piece of threaded rod and use with an open spanner on those jammed lock nuts without the tool slipping. Also I found that with my handle type tool I could only remove 9 and 10 speed cassetts with the axel in place. For 8 speed I had to remove the axel first.

now look here ,...... dont ruin a good thread bye getting technical with details on 8, 9, 10 speed cassetts and rod and things.

lets just stick to whips and chains ok .... :rolleyes:

now look here ,...... dont ruin a good thread bye getting technical with details on 8, 9, 10 speed cassetts and rod and things.

yes, you buy tools for your equipment. Why buy stuff for other systems. I payed a small fortune for the tools for the old Shimano BB and used it once. My brother-in-law asked if I could remove his Campy cranks and sayed I could not and he was amazed to hear that you get tools for each manufacturer.

as i said ... that took a long time

I leave the bike maintenance to the LBS, would you do your own eye surgery no, well why not pay someone who knows what they doing, just my 2c.

I leave the bike maintenance to the LBS, would you do your own eye surgery no, well why not pay someone who knows what they doing, just my 2c.

Not every one can do eye surgery ......... bike maintenance is not rocket science, life or sight threatening .... :angry:

life and site threatening if you screw something up big time on a front hub maybe?

anyway...

back to the whips and chains :thumbup:

Then you should let your mom still tie your shoe laces because that is how difficult it is to service a bike. :D

EDIT: sorry, I forgot the smiley face.

Edited by Mampara

life and site threatening if you screw something up big time on a front hub maybe?

anyway...

back to the whips and chains :thumbup:

OK OK I did forget to add this caveat "except for 1H" :lol: