MTB Dilemma!!

pedal menace

Buy the Epic if you want a Specialized otherwise look somewhere else ... as the name suggests everything is Specialized and unless you have a dealer closeby you are stuffed!!

Awesome bikes but yeah ......I ride a Stevens Team Fluent so know about not having support in this country trust me you dont want that!!

Otherwise buy a secondhand frame off the Hub, some really good ones going on here!!

If I had to buy now I would buy a Merida ... Good value for money and good support all around!

My 2c .... :)

Can't go wrong with the Zula. Its the best R16K you'll spend.

When people ask me to describe the bike, I say its like its got a split personality:

Lock the front and the rear, and you go up stuff not realising that the bike weighs 12.5kg (it feels like a real XC bike going up)

Unlock the front and rear and you feel like you've got baggies on riding it like its a 150mm travel bike.

What fork does your current bike have and are you only buying a new frame? I'm asking because it would be wrong to slap on a 80mm on a Zula.

Just upgraded to a GHOST RT 7400, great bike handles well and at R25 K for carbon frame and XT 10spd a great deal. Good luck on deciding, too many bikes too little money!!!!

Top Fuel...from what perspective would you recommend the Epic? Burry Stander would also recommend and Epic but he hardly spends more that 3-4hrs on a bike. Me on the other hand look more towards 4-6 hours. Is the Epic not more for your hardcore I want to win comfort not that important but weight is kinda bike? I have to ask...only way I will get proper feedback.

I've got the ERA, which is the same as the Epic, just for us girls. I did a ride the other day that took me longer than 7 hours and I was not uncomfortable on the bike at all. They was riding with the suspension quite hard as well.

The big question is the sort of riding you want to do. When I'm hitting the technical singletrack, especially the steep downhills and rocks / roots, I miss the stumpjumper as it made everything seem easy and I was riding things I wouldn't normally have riden. My ERA on the other hand is like a thoroughbred race horse on the downhills. She just wants to go and I find myself constantly having to keep her in check. She climbs like a beast though. All I miss the stumpy, there is no way I'll ever give up my ERA.

OK...two bikeshops just called and offered me the following frames:

Shop 1. The Meride 96 NINETY-SIX Carbon Team-D...BEAUTIFUL. Any complaints? Right now in spot nr 1. Price R20K

Shop 2. Specialized Epic Full Carbon Team. R30K.

R10K difference..Sounds a bit steep for Epic. Is it worth that price? Is Merida that much "worse"?

OK...two bikeshops just called and offered me the following frames:

Shop 1. The Meride 96 NINETY-SIX Carbon Team-D...BEAUTIFUL. Any complaints? Right now in spot nr 1. Price R20K

Shop 2. Specialized Epic Full Carbon Team. R30K.

R10K difference..Sounds a bit steep for Epic. Is it worth that price? Is Merida that much "worse"?

Go ride the bike before dropping 20 -30k on a frame that may not be right for you - Do you really need to go carbon?

Whoohoo! Remember the words: To boldly go where no man has gone before...

Just ordered the Merdia 96 Team Carbon. Sabie Pre-Ride, here I come!

I will measure my inseam tonight but bikeshop says I should take a M frame (I am 1.81cm) and ride 56cm road frame.

Whoohoo! Remember the words: To boldly go where no man has gone before...

Just ordered the Merdia 96 Team Carbon. Sabie Pre-Ride, here I come!

I will measure my inseam tonight but bikeshop says I should take a M frame (I am 1.81cm) and ride 56cm road frame.

Still dont know how you can order these things and you havent tried them for a test ride? :unsure: Im 1.8 and ride a large. Very strange, but each to their own I suppose.

Im 1.8 and ride a large. Very strange, but each to their own I suppose.

Same here. I had a medium MTB (17”) but had to extend the seat post to far out that I eventually cracked the frame (where the top tube and seat post connects). I have now switched to a large and must say, I am really comfy on it.

I know that the Merida Medium is an 18” so it can still fit for 1.81m. The medium I had was 17”

Sooner or later everyone wants a Specialized so cut the crap and get one right up front :thumbup:

Sooner or later everyone wants a Specialized so cut the crap and get one right up front :thumbup:

Nah, I want a Santa Cruz :clap: Maybe, just maybe a Specialized as back-up ;)