Red Lights

Rebel Taylor

When commuting I find CERTAIN intersections safer to go when ALL the light are red....safest to go then....

Certain intersection have the motorist SO confused that if you add a cyclist to the mix or pedestrian...then it turns into a mess...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure i recall this topic being discussed before. I read an article a while back that most accidents at intersections in the UK with robots occur with females, Why? well females are more prone to adhere to the law and stop if robot is red, whereas males will slow down and if safe roll through ie use it as a yield sign. Females are knocked down by dozy drivers turning in front of them, , not indicating and ramming them from behind, but at least they obeying the law. Here's a thought, when riding in a group and approach a 4 way stop sign, do you file up single file and go through on the basis of each one stopping at the white line and each allowing other cars to ride through in order on a 1st to white line order, thats the law but practically it would make sense to go through as one single group even if riding single file as i would hate to be the poor drivers stuck there.

Edited by scotty

To those who roll through red lights: Do you do the same when in your car – cross when safe and yield when you deem it not to be safe? Do you get righteously indignant when taxis do things that you consider to be illegal but they consider to be efficient? Do you see a significant difference? Once you start regarding laws as guidelines that you can decide to adhere to or ignore depending on your personal take on the risks and practicalities you are on a slippery slope

On a positive note – “:Howzit “ to the roadie on the Madone that stopped opposite me (guy on matt black mtb with slightly euphoric muddy grin) at the red light on Constantia main road this morning. Not a car in sight and guess what we survived taking a 15 second track stand breather.

It is no wonder that our country is in the state it is in. Not because of corrupt politicians or incompetent police force, but by the actions of so-called educated people!

+1

the argument to justify jumping lights is hardly different to the genuinely juju'esque argument that it's the slower vehicles on the highway that cause accidents... errr no... wake up sunshines... it is usually the vehicle too impatient to overtake safely that causes the accident. the same way that it is the vehicle which jumps the light that causes the accident.

end of the day - when did we last hear of a cyclist being killed by a driver obeying the law??? (other than that tragic accident down south when someone in the bunch with a blowout caused a rider to fall under a truck). so it stands to reason that if we want the cars to abide by the law then we too should do so.

abiding by the law neither kills nor causes accidents. people who are too self-important and too impatient are the cause of accidents and road deaths.

abiding by the law neither kills nor causes accidents. people who are too self-important and too impatient are the cause of accidents and road deaths.

Slowpoke, i did a ride with you, yes we stopped at ALL red robots, NO we (including you) did not use the 4 way stop according to road legislation.

Slowpoke, i did a ride with you, yes we stopped at ALL red robots, NO we (including you) did not use the 4 way stop according to road legislation.

:o :o :o :o

Really ??

I was traveling in a staight line obeying the trafic rules when POW a furniture van side swiped me

Really ??

2) I was cycling legaly in a race when i T boned a car which ignored both the red light and the marshal.

Edited by scotty

scotty, in both those instances clearly the driver disobeyed the law resulting in harm (in this instance to you).

you have ridden with me so you should know that i'm never happy when raod rules are broken. just because the bunch didn't do it correctly does not mean i was happy about it. i mean - that is one of the main reasons certain people not want to ride with me - i chirp about jumping lights and stop streets so i'm not "fun" to ride with.

where does my comment say that it's only the cyclist that must obey the law? it is a general statement of fact - if everyone drove and rode correctly there would be farrr fewer accidents.

ps getting a little defensive aren't you? (or is that "??")

Edited by slowpoke

Ah so you talking about motorist AND cyclist obeying the law, that clears it up.

Pity about the 4 way stop. You should have been more vocal and insisted we obey that rule, It was the ride out to Magaliesberg, and from what ir recall we were quite a big group so perhaps its was more practical NOT to stop at white line, go, next rider stop at white line go, next rider stop at white line go, and repeat untill riders were through.

To those who roll through red lights: Do you do the same when in your car – cross when safe and yield when you deem it not to be safe? Do you get righteously indignant when taxis do things that you consider to be illegal but they consider to be efficient? Do you see a significant difference? Once you start regarding laws as guidelines that you can decide to adhere to or ignore depending on your personal take on the risks and practicalities you are on a slippery slope

On a positive note – “:Howzit “ to the roadie on the Madone that stopped opposite me (guy on matt black mtb with slightly euphoric muddy grin) at the red light on Constantia main road this morning. Not a car in sight and guess what we survived taking a 15 second track stand breather.

Well done dudes. We start by setting the example to others

Whoah!

I lived in the U.K. for many years, and the average bicycle courier goes through most red light intersections that are clear.

I am not condoning riding through red lights, but you can't blame the state of the country on cyclists going through red traffic lights. :D

Maybe thats why the pound has slumped lately. Darn couriers!!!!! :angry:

I also lived in the UK( 10 years) and how many of those said couriers that went through red lights were also knocked off there bikes? Lots, I can tell u that much. Its just stupid.

I'm sure i recall this topic being discussed before. I read an article a while back that most accidents at intersections in the UK with robots occur with females, Why? well females are more prone to adhere to the law and stop if robot is red, whereas males will slow down and if safe roll through ie use it as a yield sign. Females are knocked down by dozy drivers turning in front of them, , not indicating and ramming them from behind, but at least they obeying the law. Here's a thought, when riding in a group and approach a 4 way stop sign, do you file up single file and go through on the basis of each one stopping at the white line and each allowing other cars to ride through in order on a 1st to white line order, thats the law but practically it would make sense to go through as one single group even if riding single file as i would hate to be the poor drivers stuck there.

I agree with you, cyclists just need to keep in a 'tight' bunch and move through as one 'body' Works fine for 1, 2 3 maybe 4 cyclists. Bigger groups this is disatrous because cyclist number 23 thinks that if the guy in front of him can go through, then so can he.. meanwhile the car waiting is getting very irritated.

This phenomenon can be seen on any large club ride :D