Red Lights

Rebel Taylor

If somebody gets hit by a car from the side, who is jumping the lights, then the cyclist will be going through the green light!

Talking about those few seconds before the lights changes to green for the cyclist. Some aren't that fast, and motorists tend to go over a red light after it has just changed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ SL-C, you are just the Fu%^**(( we do not want on the roads. Obey the rules or get off the road. YOu give all of us a bad name. YOu should get run over so that u can not ride any more.

Jeepers buddy, take it easy, the name calling is not cool, so you've got a point you want to get across no need to swear at everyone who disagree's with you, while the majority of guys on this forum will probably agree with you, not everyone is going to, thats their right and if you cant handle that dont post in the first place! :thumbdown:

I train at 4am in the week, almost no cars on the road, I dont go screaming through red lights but when I come across one, I'll slow down (sometimes to a complete stop) then make 100% sure there are no cars and go through the light, I'd manage 20km if I didnt do this! On late morning or afternoon rides I stop at all red lights. I dont agree with cyclists who shoot red robots expecting cars to get out of their way but what they do vs what I do is very different.

@ SL-C, you are just the Fu%^**(( we do not want on the roads. Obey the rules or get off the road. YOu give all of us a bad name. YOu should get run over so that u can not ride any more.

Go f%#k yourself

You silly tjop, you went from having a fair comment with some good ideas to this? I must assume that you are 100% legit in everything you do and follow the letter of the law at all times :thumbdown:

Your opinion is just that, your opinion. Others not only may but will disagree with you. Red robots and cyclists will be a discussion for ever and ever as will riding single file, Shimano vs Campekernolia etc. etc. etc

Get over yourself !

Having PMS Rebel? Your comments are uncalled for. Leave us hubbers alone. I think the majority of the hubbers has got more time(years) in the sadle than you are old. Suck it up dude.Life is too short and precious to go around and criticise others. Enjoy life,go out for a ride and just for fun skip a few robots.

Talking about those few seconds before the lights changes to green for the cyclist. Some aren't that fast, and motorists tend to go over a red light after it has just changed.

Very few people slow down to stop when the lights go orange nowadays... Most people accelerate and at least 4-5 cars shoot the red light. If you do slow down at orange and stop for red you will probably cause a 10 car pile up!! Probably the only "1st" world country where you have to look left and right when the lights go green!

Very few people slow down to stop when the lights go orange nowadays... Most people accelerate and at least 4-5 cars shoot the red light. If you do slow down at orange and stop for red you will probably cause a 10 car pile up!! Probably the only "1st" world country where you have to look left and right when the lights go green!

I always wait for the pricks in cars/taxis to finish jumping the lights before I pull away when the light goes green for me.

I always wait for the pricks in cars/taxis to finish jumping the lights before I pull away when the light goes green for me.

Metro cops could make a fortune if they installed cameras at all the major intersections to catch the jumpers. :thumbup:

easy there rider. no all of us are perfect, but no need for your language.

Whoaa dude!! Lay off the 'roids for a while!! Not a great introduction to the Hub with such an attitude...4 posts an all :D

No offence to the rest but I do detect a bit of roady attitude / agression here!!

Chill dude - most of us agree on that topic.

I travel to and from work along Main Road between Rondebosch and Claremont and, being a cyclist myself, came to the following conclusions re. red traffick lights:

Recreational cyclists on training rides jump red lights a lot more than commuters, it feels like the majority do so.

On any major intersection you can bargain on an average of 4 cars jumping the red light too.

Most motorists get pissed off with cyclists when they sit stuck in the traffic while the cyclists simply ride on and through the red light.

Some motorists will then have a lot less patience and be more aggressive towards cyclists, not leaving a safe space for them.

If you politely ask a cyclist not to do it again, you get a flood of swearing, wheter you are in a car or on a bike.

Motorists like to watch a cyclist do a track stand, I once got applause from a truck full of workers, we should do it more.

The traffic situation has deteriorated so much that I do not use Main Road for my commute anymore but do a wide ride up, along and down the mountain in stead or ride along the Liesbeek River trail.

Its does boggle the mind that people will even consider jumping a light - So many lives could be changed for the worse by the inconsideration :(