fitting sram power link

hagar

Hagar, its not on our website. Only what we have experienced. Power Link may be easier to split the chain with but the original Shimano Chain pin is what we recommend.

RGDS STEVEN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven could you expand on what you are saying, I have been running a Dura Ace chain for 4500km now with QR connecting link as in the picture above. I have not experienced any problems with either the link or chain. As you know it is much easier for removing the chain for cleaning purposes.

Where would I expect to pick up problems?

thanks for that IanJ. I bought it for the fact that i would like to remove the chain from the bike for proper cleaning and then replace it. Looks quite easy to do so i will be doing it tomorrow night. hey now i will be able to sleep easy LOLLOL

thanks for that IanJ. I bought it for the fact that i would like to remove the chain from the bike for proper cleaning and then replace it. Looks quite easy to do so i will be doing it tomorrow night. hey now i will be able to sleep easy LOLLOL

Hagar i think the worst that can happen is that the link could break, I can't see that it could damage the chain or any other part of the drivetrain in any way but lets see what Steven says.

He obviously has to recommend Shimano parts for a Shimano chain as he represents the distributors.

To be honest, I have been running Shimano chains with Powerlinks for ages and I find the convenience of removing my chain for cleaning and/or swopping chains WAY easier than breaking the chain and fitting a Shimano link pin.  Try fitting a Shimano pin whilst you are stuck in the mud halfway in the middle of nowhere; practically impossible!  SRAM links are easy to take with you and allow you to take the damaged side plates out rather than having to take a whole link out and making your chain shorter. 

Shimano, come on, get with the program and give us something similar!  Link pins suck. 

hagar, get the Powerlinks, they don't come loose and once you know the trick to get them off they are invaluable.  In my mind they just make plain sense.

hagar' date=' jou lucky ou. Lyk my hierdie jaar gaan great wees vir jou, julle gaan ook nog die kerriekop ook wen.

[/quote'] LOLLOLLOL ja hell man ek hoop so ons moet iets wen dit kan nie so aangaan nie.

hey mauritz the wife went to CT today and bought these for me they are marked 10 speed  QR connecting link ??? I asked for the SRAM ??? maybe they are but got no name on them20071003_133200_03102007130.jpg

I think there is about 3 different manufacturers of these links Hagar so they most probably gave her what they had in stock Smile

I've run a SRAM powerlink on my Shimano chain for MTB (were the wear and tear should be far greater) for thousands of K's and have never experienced ANY problems.

I run 2 power links on my Shimano Chain

- care of some plonker at the Magalies monster

I also no problems with the chain - just the plonkers

Ok so here's my 0.02c's worth (lucky we not talking petrol here else you'd get nothing! So maybe you still do!)

I have used SRAM powerlinks on 9 speed chains (MTB and Road, SRAM and Shimano) for at least 2 years now and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact 1 of my MTB's has 2 Powerlinks (due to a stupid moment at the XC national in PMB this year but that's another story!). Undoing and re-assembling the chain for cleaning, rebuilding parts to other frames has been no problem!

Having said that my experience with a 10 speed SRAM link on a Shimano chain was very different! It is extremely difficult to get it to clip in unlike on the 9 speed. In fact LittleBen had to get on the bike and give it some stick on the crank to get it to finally clip. I doubt it can be easily 'un-clipped' that's for sure but I have not tried yet! Haven't tried with a 10sp SRAM chain so sorry can't comment on that.

BTW - the 9sp SRAM powerlinks are gold and the 10sp are black.

Big Ben, that's interesting because I am using the QR link (as in the picture above) and it is very easy to clip and unclip, in fact I was initially worried that it might unclip itself. I have had it on my Dura Ace 10spd chain since June and done about 4500km with no problems. I bought it at Cyclelab, where do you get the SRAM one from?

IanJ - From my LBS in Alberton (Just Cycles). Will have to get a few of those QR one's so that I can split it for cleaning etc. 

Big Ben' date=' that's interesting because I am using the QR link (as in the picture above) and it is very easy to clip and unclip, in fact I was initially worried that it might unclip itself.

[/quote']

I have found that some of these clip/unclip easily, and others do not...similar to BB's experience with the SRAM 10 spd links.  Have also run these links with Shimano chains for the last 5 years.  No problems.  I'm also of the opinion that the Shimano link pins suck big time.  Tried them only once, and had to use three pins before the link worked properly (and yes, they were the right size...)

I have successfully used the Shimano pins in both 9 and 10 speed over time. Have had just one 10sp pin failure recently when I had to use the aforementioned 10sp SRAM link.

It's just a lot easier and convenient with the removable links I guess.

Ian j. We as Shimano did the technical support on the Cape Epic in 07 and i can assure you that we fixed lots of problems with Sram Power links and many competitors actually had to change rear derailers,front derailers,chain rings etc etc after there power links failed.I am not making this up and if you want further info email jade@coolheat.co.za or tyson@coolheat.co.za

We do not recommend Power Links .

rgds sm

Hi Steven

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly why I am asking, I am not doubting what you are saying. I think you will agree though that there seem to be alot of guys using quick links that don't seem to have had problems.

Are you saying then that quick links can actually damage other drivetrain components and if so is it only when the links fail or do they cause damage even while running?