Training advice for novice

Ollie

Hi all,

Backstory first:

Before a week ago, I hadn't been on a non-IDT in at least six years.  And even when I did have a bike, it was an el-cheapo mountain bike that I used to ride to school, or to gym, or to buddies after school. I've done one 40-odd km funride in my life, and one full day 75 km "tour" of the Cape Peninsula -- both during school years.

Goals:

I have entered both the Argus and the Burger.  Which means I have a 101km seeding ride in just under two months.  I have no idea what a reasonable expectation should be for the Argus, so I have set five hours as a preliminary goal -- just over 20kph average.  I don't think I'll make five hours for the Burger.

Equipment:

My colleague has lent me his Raleigh RM 1.0. Shimano Acera 24spd gearset, SR Suntour crankset, and slicks. It feels very heavy. At the moment, a very basic computer as well.

Training:

How would you suggest I go about this?

Time is an issue. I have a young family, so I can't just go for a ride whenever I want to. At the moment, I do a short ride in the mornings (10km Monday, 12km Wednesday, 15km today).  Route is relatively flat, and I've increased my average speed to just about 24kph.

My first ride (Sunday morning) was a 21km route in a hilly area.  Not such a fantastic idea, but it's in the past now.

I have a 50km "base" ride planned for Sunday.  Should I take Saturday as a rest day, or utilize it for a decent ride leading up to the bigger one the next day, and leave Friday to rest?  Or should I forget about rest days altogether at the moment since the rides aren't particularly long yet?

I am able to monitor the following:

Current, average and maximum speed

Trip distance

Trip duration

Current, average and maximum heart rate

Soon, I will be able to monitor cadence.

Your advice would be appreciated!

Don't worry about speed, concentrate on distance and time in the saddle. When you can ride 60km confortably then start working on speed.

I'm certainly no expert on training and training programes but here are my thoughts. Also I can only go on the info you've given.

I wouldn't try and cram lots of training in all of a sudden. Even though you're doing short distances your body is going to need to adjust and rest is still important. If you do too much to quickly you'll loose the benefit from the training you do actually do.

Doing 2 or 3 short rides in the week and then a longer one on the week end will do you fine to start out with. 50km for now is a good ride if you're not used to is. I'd suggest trying to get at least 2 rides of up to 20 - 25km during the week and then the longer one on the week end. I wouldn't worry about speed etc, just focus on getting your body used to riding again. Speed will come once you're comfortable. Maybe later in November you can do a longer ride up to 70km. Also don't worry about trying to get up to 100km before the burger, while it would be nice to do at least one ride that distance I think you may not have the time to training to do that before hand. Focus on getting comfortable and getting some shorter distances in the legs

As I say I'm no expert but good luck.

Oh please... don't listen to that... there is only one way to train, ride till you bleed from your eyes!

Invest in a indoor trainer! Ive got one, and if you are strapped for time its just the tool you need!

Oh please... don't listen to that... there is only one way to train' date=' ride till you bleed from your eyes! [/quote']

I just KNEW I was doing it right! LOLClap

would it not also be a good idea to do some sort of interval training if its only possible to ride 15kms +- in the morning?

Also try and do a couple of the shorter road races on the calendar before the Burger so that you can get used to riding with other people!

Oh please... don't listen to that... there is only one way to train' date=' ride till you bleed from your eyes! [/quote']

If you are only bleeding from your eyes you aren't going hard enough, there are a couple of other orifices that should be bleeding as well LOL

<joke>

Ollie, welcome to thehub.

i agree with the guys who are saying to rather focus on tits (time in the saddle) than speed at this stage.

in a few months time (when you're good and ready) you can then change to riding till the bleed becomes! Wink

I also agree with the time in the saddle theory. Otherwise what happens is that the speed training gets your cardio fitness up quite quickly, but Looong before the end of the race you will have no leg strength left and the stamina is not there.

Longer rides also train your body to be more efficient. I speak from experience.

Having said all that, if you really don;t have time for longer rides, shorter harder ones are better than nothing. I cannot remember where I read it but someone said that shorter rides, done regularly and consistently are way better than Lance Armstrong's programme, done inconsistently and in fits and starts.

After not cycling for a while, (well not doing much of anything for awhile) I started again about 2,5 months ago and struggled to do 40km at avg 22km/h. I started spinning twice a week and do 40km training ride on Saturdays,  for about 3 weeks. Increased spinning to 3 times a week and +/- 60km on Saturdays. I am currently able to do a good hilly 80km and the avg has picked up as well. Currently spinning four times a week and looking to add a training ride on Sundays as well. (ja, vir my is dit maar 'n geval van "stadig maar seker")

I ride with a rather heavy no name brand bike, but the progress is definitely there and that is good enough for me. (Unfortunatly the weight loss thing is not happening fast enough yet)

I'm looking to do a 100km end of October.

I can also add that encouragement from the guys I ride with on Saturdays has helped a lot!! Clap So, Ollie if you can, try and join a club. Something that really helped me a lot, getting into the this cycling thing and I am here to stay.

Pantani, that bleeding from your eyes sounds more like someone who can't balance on his bike properly.

Slowpoke, I am biting my lips hard at the moment (Time In The Saddle) smiley2.gif

I could also suggest commuting to work if possible.  I know it is not always possible but that is where I started. 

I got back on a bicycle in 2000 and was in horrible shape. First ride was about 7 kilos and I was almost dead.  Started cycling to work.  Then I started doing longer distances on a weekend (40 kilos) and developed a false sense of security.  Decided to do races and my first race was the BMW challange (which was flat) and I almost DIED.  Avg 33 but spend the rest of the day sleeping. 

Met up with my cycling buddy who took me out on our first ride on a hilly route.  Did not appreciated his humor.  But from then on things went better. 

I know how things are with a young family.  I myself have a young family (two kids, one 3 and the other 10 months) and work pressure so my cycling is not quite what it should be but commuting to work and one or two spinning sessions a week and one long training ride and I am an average group A rider (hopefully) at the moment.