MTB Tire pressures

Swift01

crossmarks tubeless front and back.f 1.8 bar b 2.1 bar.i weigh 104 kg.riding dual.so far so good with the crossmarks ie no punctures etc.cornering a bit of a problem.when the crossmark is done i will put a monorail infront.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm weird.

Running crossmark UST up front and Race king protection at the rear. Pressure: Around 2.8bar for both on my carbon HT.

I like the speed of the 2.8bar

Recently I've been riding at around 2.1bar, thinking more of grip now

Oh yeah, I weigh 67kg

wow you were riding hard man, you must really be feeling some bump and shock on a grinded up dirt road at that pressure.. riding lower down at your now 2.1 i bet you will learn to love more :D far more grip on a long steep climb, and more speed from more grip, but yes slightly slower if riding in a straight line, however more speed in corners, eish id be scared to push my bike around a tight bend at 2.8 bar :D

If you like the crossmarks on the front then try monorail when you need to change!!! Confidence is great and you can really push the tyre in corners, especially if you brave enough to ride it at about 1.5 bar :clap:

I LOVE MTB :clap: :clap: :clap: Why am I at work! :thumbdown:

will do :thumbup: shot meneer, and about work..... ask myself that question everyday!! :lol:

soft is goooood... but watch out for varying pump readings. i'v got 2 pumps, when the one reads 2,5 bar, the other reads 1,8 bar??? i just go by feel now... squishy!!

soft is goooood... but watch out for varying pump readings. i'v got 2 pumps, when the one reads 2,5 bar, the other reads 1,8 bar??? i just go by feel now... squishy!!

I was about to comment on this, dont think my "pomp" is the most accurate, at least i can say with confidence there is 0.2 bar difference between my fornt and back :lol:

Conti Mountain Kings front and rear.

Front 2.8

Rear 3.0

Weight 100

Ride Stevens Fluent Team full sus.

Only 10 people gave some information. Interesting Maxxis seems to be the most common brand. Would have been nicer to get more people

Its so rider and terrain specific what others are using isnt really of any use to you other than an indication that you are perhaps riding too hard.

The softer the smoother the ride and the better the grip especially on tricky technical ascents - the problems come in when you start pushing it thru rock gardens and doing jumps at speed. A too low pressure makes you more vulnerable to snake bite and rim damage even with tubeless tyres.

I have used conti RK's and MK's and just fitted a X mark ust Lust at the rear. The conti's might say tubeless but they are far softer and thinner than the X Mark - this makes them lighter but not as strong and harder to pump up even on a proper tubeless rim. They are more like beefed up tube tyres and dont realy suit fast descending on rocky terrain. That said they roll very well and the grip is awesome - in the dry a RK makes a good front tyre.

Anthem with Monorails (and more recently) Kenda Karma's.

Ride at 2.2 front and 2.3 back.

Recently got a nice hardtail, and obviously the ride is harsher on these pressures (same wheels/tyres) Would love to know if people run their HT pressures lower vs. full suss.

Rider weight = 75-80 kg

BTW rode a HT on a training ride down into the Hell a few years back with Conti Verticals (with tubes) at 1.8 Bar - no issues, but was a tad unstable in the corners.

Edited by Underachiever

SC Superlight

Front: Maxxis Aspen = 1.6 bar

Rear: Kenda SB8 = 1.8 bar

Rider = 61kg

Run them on Stans 355's.

On occasion, I've run them at 1.2 bar for smooth rocky climbs. I've dinged one rim but that was not a full perpendicular impact. Caught some building rubble side on.

Larsen Front - 2.5 - 2.8 bar

Cross Mark rear - 2.8 - 3 bar

Tubed wheels. Weigh in at 110kg (me, not the wheels!)

Riding GT hardtail.

Area of riding is the Magaliesberg.

The harder the tyre for me, the less chance of a puncture. While tubeless may be good, the two guys I stopped to help at VG on Saturday were riding tubeless. One had not put any of the liquid in (so he said), I offered him a tube but his rims had the small hole. Second guy had lost air in his tyre and could not inflate with his bomb. Once again a tube was offered and once again he had the small hole in his rim. I had 0 punctures (temping fate here) and have not had a puncture in a while nor had any rim damage in 4000km. I am using those heavy thorn proof tubes. They may be heavy, but so is my ass!

Edited by Mojoman

Only 10 people gave some information. Interesting Maxxis seems to be the most common brand. Would have been nicer to get more people

The 1.9 on those ignitors of mine is the width, thought it to be quite interesting as not to many ride narrow tires. Not factored in your survey. Presure is 2.5 and 2.2