Prestige Ulltra

mrmed

So, who actually raced this in this weather? Was so looking forward to hitting the Olympic distance hard today, but this incessant rain was a major turn-off. And my wife and daughter definitely didn't feel like sitting in the car for a few hours.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, who actually raced this in this weather? Was so looking forward to hitting the Olympic distance hard today, but this incessant rain was a major turn-off. And my wife and daughter definitely didn't feel like sitting in the car for a few hours.

What's the river like after all that rain?

What's the river like after all that rain?

The river looked ok, if a little, erm brown. When I left they were shortening the swim course (to 1500m) for safety reasons.

I'm really sorry we didn't get to race but in effect it was going to be a wet 1/2 marathon.

Quite sad that the weather didn't play along today, I was looking forward to the Ultra...Oh well, at least I can brag about my R500-00 goodie bag and t-shirt...

We drove down from Benoni at 04:30, terrible driving conditions the whole way. I donated my R580 entry fee which is a bit of a piss take after they canned the cycle. The river was not looking good and all the outlying areas and roads were drenched. When i left they were talking about changing the swim course but the race was going to be a 1.9k swim and 21k run.

In light of the policy regarding refunds or partial refunds i will never pre-enter a race again if you can enter on the day. I don't think it was wise to still race in that weather, the river looked very unpredictable.

Woke up to a major storm in my neighbourhood. Listened to the weather report and heard that the N1S was flooded. Decided to give it a miss. Bye bye R500.

Fees

In light of the policy regarding refunds or partial refunds i will never pre-enter a race again if you can enter on the day.

Agree there.

Won't get our entry fees back but would be nice if the organisers would at least give us some sort of discount for the next race.

I also bailed out on the race and in retrospect, for those that competed, it proved to be an expensive swim/run.

Sort of regret that I did not go. Not in my character to be a fair weather racer.

But, from looking outside, the multiple weather forecasts of rain on the net, and the rain stats from the Dept of Water Affairs, really did not think there would be a swim or a cycle.

Just for interest:

At 04h40 the Vaal River was running at 20 cubic metres per second. At 10h00 is was running at 400 cumecs. It peaked at 1400 at midnight last night. The height of the river rose 2.8m.

The Vaal dam has gone from 78% to 88% from yesterday morning after midnight to 6am this morning!

Vaal system water levels

Edited by davem

I went and it was awesome. You guys need to understand that the organisers have to incur costs to host such an event. It is not their fault that it rained.

Once we came out of the water it was sunny and nice conditions for the run. Thoroughly enjoyed it as it was a different challenge....

What are all of you guys going to do when it rains in East Londen? Cry even harder???

Common guys, show some balls and race the weather. It was an quite different challenge but good practises none the less.....

I went and it was awesome. You guys need to understand that the organisers have to incur costs to host such an event. It is not their fault that it rained.

Once we came out of the water it was sunny and nice conditions for the run. Thoroughly enjoyed it as it was a different challenge....

What are all of you guys going to do when it rains in East Londen? Cry even harder???

Common guys, show some balls and race the weather. It was an quite different challenge but good practises none the less.....

Agreed, but , at East London and PE for that matter. I won't be 1h30s drive away. When its raining, and roads are flooded I tend to stay off the roads.

good on you garfield :thumbup:

Well myself and 3 friends registered online and we were going come high water or hell... maybe an advantage of being new to the sport... as we are over enthusiastic.. In any case I put my trust in the organisers with regards to safety and it was safe in the end.....