Raleigh bashing

Pot Hole

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raleigh is a people's bike. I bike for everyone, or at least one that more people can afford. Like all bikes that are starting out there were a number of design and mnufacturing flaws that were ironed out. So yes raligh is good, so are Dahitsu motorcars, and Vuka motorbikes. and that is where the problem is. The average roadie (which excludes BigH and dirt rider immediately) does not want to be seen near such a accessible product. Roadies want to buy from bikeshops run by people that own porsche's and hardly dangerous's. They want to cycle stuff endorsed by donald duck, and riden by chicken. It is part of the culture. Why drink ricoffee when only nescafe will do? It is not about being good, but rather about looking good.

On the other hand each to his own, I would also prefer to ride a bike that weighs in under 9 kgs, which few raleighs even with all the bling did.

3-4yrs ago Raleigh made a huge push to get into the market in a big way. They werent "junkbikes" they were high-spec bikes sold cheap. Bike shops broke them down for the spares & the frames were then for free.

Ultegra throughout for R7k was a helluva deal.

Anyway, they put their prices up in line with others so there's a lot less being sold & so less activity on the Hub.

I had an RC7000 for a couple of years and now have the components on a Da Rosa frame - marvellous.

But dont say "Junkbikes" about people's machines it makes you sound like a dick.

Low Joe at least it seems you are safe..... your spaghetti bike is made of spaghetti not chinese noodles.....

read here.... http://allanti.com/articles/where-was-my-bike-made-pg328.htm

Raleigh is a people's bike. I bike for everyone, or at least one that more people can afford. Like all bikes that are starting out there were a number of design and mnufacturing flaws that were ironed out. So yes raligh is good, so are Dahitsu motorcars, and Vuka motorbikes. and that is where the problem is. The average roadie (which excludes BigH and dirt rider immediately) does not want to be seen near such a accessible product. Roadies want to buy from bikeshops run by people that own porsche's and hardly dangerous's. They want to cycle stuff endorsed by donald duck, and riden by chicken. It is part of the culture. Why drink ricoffee when only nescafe will do? It is not about being good, but rather about looking good.

On the other hand each to his own, I would also prefer to ride a bike that weighs in under 9 kgs, which few raleighs even with all the bling did.

well said raleigh =ricoffy

I still would not buy another Raleigh. Ones you have seen the light there is no going back. ;)

Glad I have the Powertap test data from back to back testing to prove it. :)

The_Break, please elaborate on "Glad I have the Powertap test data from back to back testing to prove it" ...?

Thanks

Edited by attreewr

well said raleigh =ricoffy

What type of frame(s) do you ride Stevie?

What type of frame(s) do you ride Stevie?

spose i'm a bikesnob

mtb full:santa cruz superlight

mtb ss:kona colin mcrae edition

road: giant ocr3

fixie:schwinn madison

maybe this should be my sig, would be like those car forum okes then. road bike is actually heaviest of the lot. borrowed the bike off my dad, think its mine now. don't really race road so its just for fun/training and no point in spending cash on. sora rocks

spose i'm a bikesnob

mtb full:santa cruz superlight - I think Taiwan, most likely Giant. They make some in USA thoughmtb ss:kona colin mcrae edition - Fairly and Hodaka in Taiwan road:

giant ocr3 - Made in Taiwan - Giant also makes, or has made, bikes for many other prominent brands, including Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, and Bianchi. Giant's claim to fame is that they have the most sophisticated and efficient manufacturing facilities in the bicycle industry. A bit of trivia is that Giant owns 30% of Hodaka, a key Taiwanese supplier for many brands such as Bianchi.5

fixie:schwinn madison - Could be USA but most likely Taiwan

maybe this should be my sig, would be like those car forum okes then. road bike is actually heaviest of the lot. borrowed the bike off my dad, think its mine now. don't really race road so its just for fun/training and no point in spending cash on. sora rocks

So ...... see my post in bold above..... It seems you ride four Giants, made right next door of the factory also owned by Giant that makes Raleigh's

What bike do you have?

Cervelo S2, Cervelo P3C, just sold my Cervelo Soloist Team and had a Cervelo Soloist Carbon. Prior to that I had a Raleigh RC9000, Schwin Fastback x2 and a Cannondale CAD 6.

Oh, by the way, sorry about the rude chirps earlier. Was in a crap mood. No excuse, so, sorry!

Edited by The_Break

So ...... see my post in bold above..... It seems you ride four Giants, made right next door of the factory also owned by Giant that makes Raleigh's

There is one thing we must all bear in mind and this is best decribed by a conversation I had with a LBS owner a few years back:

LBS Owner, "This is such a good bike at a great price; in fact, did you know it is made in the same factory as the Giant TCR Advanced wth ISP? That has got to tell you it is good right?"

My response, " Really, wow, did you know that Citi Golfs are made in the same factory as the Golf 5 GTI which putsout 147kW."

A product is not good or bad based on where or by whom it is made. It is good or bad based on the design, testing, manufacturing, actual materials used and most of all the quality control.

The_Break, please elaborate on "Glad I have the Powertap test data from back to back testing to prove it" ...?

Thanks

I really dont want to go into detail, but the summary of this is that I noticed a marked difference between bikes with only factor being different in the frame. Especially during high power sprints and intervals. This is a huge and long debate as to exactly why one would see this difference, but unless one has a detailed understanding of engineering and structural design it would not be more than another discussion that would end with no real outcome for everyone.

All I meant was I tested it and saw results that made me happy I had upgraded to a frame that gave me better results especially in the all to crucial stages of a race.

I really dont want to go into detail, but the summary of this is that I noticed a marked difference between bikes with only factor being different in the frame. Especially during high power sprints and intervals. This is a huge and long debate as to exactly why one would see this difference, but unless one has a detailed understanding of engineering and structural design it would not be more than another discussion that would end with no real outcome for everyone.

All I meant was I tested it and saw results that made me happy I had upgraded to a frame that gave me better results especially in the all to crucial stages of a race.

And how many races did you win on your Golf GTI ..... your palamares would be ok

And how many races did you win on your Golf GTI ..... your palamares would be ok

If you figure out my name you can google it.

Palo...

Edited by The_Break

still the best raleigh ever, at 7.65kg beats some carbon

That bike would not beat my neices tricycle.

It needs some pedals first! ;)