94.7 MTB - Joburg's k@kest race?

JarradVZ

dude what do you expect?

A mountain bike race piggy backing on an established road race, makes for a contrived ordinary experience.

I am amazed that they even managed to carve out a route around the castle, waterfall estate and Leeukop.

If you want a quality mountain bike race try entering some of the established races in KZN, or Mpumalanga...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not go to JHB expecting KZN single track, but I think the route builders could look for a few sections to build single track on. Karkloof started a few years ago, adding to the route each year. It is now one of the best marathons out there with a bull run of note. I will be back but think the organsiers should have a long term plan to develop the race into a top notch course.

Thanks for the info,we will definetly be looking to take on the suggestions and have already started negotiations with Leeuwkop to allow us to make use of some more single track.

We improved dramtically from last year, now we will start developing the route, but all need to bear in mind what we have and are allowed to work with :thumbup:

Thanks for the info,we will definetly be looking to take on the suggestions and have already started negotiations with Leeuwkop to allow us to make use of some more single track.

We improved dramtically from last year, now we will start developing the route, but all need to bear in mind what we have and are allowed to work with :thumbup:

Thanks Deadwood.

Lol -so you wouldn't say I should fly up for the next one? :lol: Must be hard making a decent MTB route in Gauties or are there some worthy races we Capies should know about - apart from Sabie of course?

Lol -so you wouldn't say I should fly up for the next one? :lol: Must be hard making a decent MTB route in Gauties or are there some worthy races we Capies should know about - apart from Sabie of course?

nothing really to write home about - or fly up for.

who wants to brake for zebras or giraffe anyway when you come around a corner on your favourite piece of singletrack in groenkloof? who wants to almost miss corners at the bottom of steep drops in fountains? no-one likes the floating bridges and numerous small obstacles and bridgies at the night-races at teak place? really boring routes at rietvlei. & van gaalens - up & down the pofadder - too hot & too dry & too steep up & too steep down.

naaaaah, boring!

I remember when it went through Leeukop before, all the prisoners wolf whistling and calling out to the riders in their lycra riding past, mostly at the okes too.

Average speed seemed to pick up on that section :lol:

I remember when it went through Leeukop before, all the prisoners wolf whistling and calling out to the riders in their lycra riding past, mostly at the okes too.

Route still goes thorugh Leeukop, and the prisoners still wolf whistle and call out to the riders in their lycra riding past, and still mostly at the okes too.

There I was thinkin zebra and Giraffe were a band.... Sounds like you guys are spoiled for choice. Where are the pics of all these amazing trails.

Route still goes thorugh Leeukop, and the prisoners still wolf whistle and call out to the riders in their lycra riding past, and still mostly at the okes too.

Hows the heart rate about then?

Ja, the Leader of the Pack tuned me "Skattebol, kom hie dan wys ek djou HOE om te trap nê..." It gave me a grin for the next 5kms :)

My back was sore, i was thirsty, I was spraying methane gas on my saddle, the prisoner's didnt really intimidate me. I just kept my head down and pedalled.