Camelbak Madness

Burts

Hi Hubbers.

I've decided to try out the MTB scene as well and I must be honest... Much more entertaining than road cycling. The thing is... I want to buy myself a camelbak. Can anybody give me some advice on wich one to buy as there is so much diffirent available. I am a big guy and want one that will fit me perfectly.

Any advice on what to buy and what not to buy would be much appreciated.

Edited by Burts

Go to a shop, have a look at some and try them on, then order online from CWC! I saved myself quite a few R100 notes by doing this! I have a Lobo, it has a 3 lt bladder but once you add in some tools, keys, phone etc into the pack, it becomes a squeeze to get 3lt in. But with a couple of bottles on the bike it works out fine. And remember ti get that insulating piece to go over the exposed tubing, that first mouthful of warm water sucks!

Guest big baby

Hi Burts,

What kind of riding are you planning to do? If it's long rides you should look at the Mule. It takes 3 liters of water and holds food, jacket, tools etc.

i have the mule aswell, to be honest have not used my mule for ages, once the fitness was up I just ride with two bottles good for 3-4 hour rides. Only use mule for stage races now

One that can also hold the energy bar/spare tube/chain link/multitool/lube/windbreaker/cell phone and the R100.00 I will pay you to supply me out there on the track, because I bought the small one! &%@.

Hi guys. Thanx for the replies. Mojoman... I am in a small town in the Northern Cape. Exept for a couple of guys, the people will think I'm talking about a real camel's back. I am planning to do only one day races... Say like the Knysna Oyster Festival. So big baby... I think the lobo might be fine then.

Again. Thanx for the advice.

Hi guys. Thanx for the replies. Mojoman... I am in a small town in the Northern Cape. Exept for a couple of guys, the people will think I'm talking about a real camel's back. I am planning to do only one day races... Say like the Knysna Oyster Festival. So big baby... I think the lobo might be fine then.

Again. Thanx for the advice.

The lobo isn't bad (if you check on Bid or Buy I think someone had some going for around R550 ex postage, on CWC they have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine in Sept)) but as some of the guys have said, the Mule is a better option if you want to carry some stuff with you, although I should imagaine its like hiking, the bigger the bag, the more rubbish you take along!

Go to a shop, have a look at some and try them on, then order online from CWC!

Excuse me but I don't think that's very fair - the shop has to pay rent, salaries, lay out the money for stock, so you should support them in that regard. I get components and spares from CRC but still get some items like clothing, saddles etc that you have to get a look & feel of from local stores.

Hey Burts. It can never be too big if you are riding in the open spaces in the NC. Mine includes all the tools, a space blanket, food, liquid, pump, quick links, derailleur hanger, rain jacket, cable ties etc. It will only make you stronger. Regarding the insulation.. Freeze only half a bladder overnight and add cold liquid just before you head out and it will stay cold for hours. Once you have had a sip, simply blow back the liquid into the bladder, to avoid a mouth full of warm liquid. That way you also don't need one of those lung thingies to make your lungs stronger.You can also use your space blanket to insulate the bladder.

Pity you are in the NC as Solomon's in Jhb have great prices on their range of Camelbacks,but CWC will be a good alternative to get it to you. They also prove to be good protection when you go over the bars. Heck it's probably one of the few inventions that have trickled down from the US military that us mere mortals can actually use. Keep it real. Beware of imitations.

Excuse me but I don't think that's very fair - the shop has to pay rent, salaries, lay out the money for stock, so you should support them in that regard. I get components and spares from CRC but still get some items like clothing, saddles etc that you have to get a look & feel of from local stores.

I think its plenty fair, a certain shop wanted to charge me over R1200 for a Lobo, got it from CWC the next day after I ordered it (and that was around 2pm in the afternoon) for under R600. How can the shops justify those prices?

Hey Burts. It can never be too big if you are riding in the open spaces in the NC. Mine includes all the tools, a space blanket, food, liquid, pump, quick links, derailleur hanger, rain jacket, cable ties etc. It will only make you stronger. Regarding the insulation.. Freeze only half a bladder overnight and add cold liquid just before you head out and it will stay cold for hours. Once you have had a sip, simply blow back the liquid into the bladder, to avoid a mouth full of warm liquid. That way you also don't need one of those lung thingies to make your lungs stronger.You can also use your space blanket to insulate the bladder.

Pity you are in the NC as Solomon's in Jhb have great prices on their range of Camelbacks,but CWC will be a good alternative to get it to you. They also prove to be good protection when you go over the bars. Heck it's probably one of the few inventions that have trickled down from the US military that us mere mortals can actually use. Keep it real. Beware of imitations.

If you gonna do this, lay the bladder flat in the freezer, feels nicer on your back(bit more ergonomic), try not to let the water be near the end where the tube connects - Can cause splits and cracks.

Burt since you are still a roadie, you should know better.

Finish one water bottle before you start and have another while at your coffee stop, no need for camelbaks, saddlebags or ballsacks! Hydration is for amateurs ;)

Edited by Tankman

Burt since you are still a roadie, you should know better.

Finish one water bottle before you start and have another while at your coffee stop, no need for camelbaks, saddlebags or ballsacks! Hydration is for amateurs ;)

No coffee stops in the middle of the gramadoelas..... Keep it real