Me Nervous Of Going Tubular For Racing...

'Dale

Few comments should can be highlighted:

Every cyclist should at least try tubbies.

When you puncture your race is over anyway, and the saying "but with clinchers your ride is not over" doesn't make sense. If you wanted to just ride, you wouldn't enter the race.

I bought a set of tubbies few months back. Have already glued the front wheel. Rear wheel will be glued when I get time. Got 2 types of tufo sealent. The one type you put in the tyres after you get a flat. Then you just pump the tyre and it should seal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few comments should can be highlighted:

Every cyclist should at least try tubbies.

When you puncture your race is over anyway, and the saying "but with clinchers your ride is not over" doesn't make sense. If you wanted to just ride, you wouldn't enter the race.

Cheer me up!

Unless you're being paid to ride your bike, we do this for fun. We are not Cipo-like prima donnas who get whisked away in the team car as soon as things don't go our way. Well, I am not. Your mileage may vary.

Newsflash: We are funriders. Sure we talk of this race and that race, but really, we do it to be out having fun on our bikes. If I puncture I don't want to regard my day as over just because I am not going to finish with my start group.

Some folks may be losing the sight that we get to ride in some of the most fantastic countryside the planet has to offer, and that is worth enjoying for its own sake. (Not sure if this last bit applies to those who live in Getagun.)

Edited by bikemonster

Puncture will cost you R400. My training partner had tubbies last year. And he won the trophy from the club at our year end for the most DNF's.

But then I guess, if you really want them nothing will stop you from getting them

Cheer me up!

Unless you're being paid to ride your bike, we do this for fun. We are not Cipo-like prima donnas who get whisked away in the team car as soon as things don't go our way. Well, I am not. Your mileage may vary.

Newsflash: We are funriders. Sure we talk of this race and that race, but really, we do it to be out having fun on our bikes. If I puncture I don't want to regard my day as over just because I am not going to finish with my start group.

Some folks may be losing the sight that we get to ride in some of the most fantastic countryside the planet has to offer, and that is worth enjoying for its own sake. (Not sure if this last bit applies to those who live in Getagun.)

Ah, problem with online forum. You can easily be misunderstood. I'm also out to have fun, but some guys have different goals than others and have different goals for different races.

I would guess that Airbender's goal is not to finish a race, but to ride well and get a good time. So maybe his mail goal for a race is not to get back home and say "I enjoyed myself while on the bike". He maybe wants to say it was damn hard, I nearly died, but I had a good time. I reached my goal and as a whole I'm enjoying it"

Should this be the case, then a comment like "...but your ride is not over." may not have any meaning to him.

As an example, for the 94.7 this year I wanted a good time and was riding well the first half. Then my legs gave in and I lost the group. Had to ride on my own for the remainder of the race. I really did not enjoy myself for the last half of the race. All depends on what your goals are and luckily no-one is the same, so we're entitled to have our own goals. We enjoy the sport. Some people just get their excitement from different things in the sport

Puncture will cost you R400. My training partner had tubbies last year. And he won the trophy from the club at our year end for the most DNF's.

But then I guess, if you really want them nothing will stop you from getting them

The temptation is always big to take them out for a spin, but..

If you want to be silly and use them as training wheels, you are going to pay the price hey?

Ah, problem with online forum. <snip>

Stewie I'm pleased you took my robust reply in the sense in which it was intended.

I think that we (Hubbers) have broadly similar goals: if you're riding league you want to be ahead of your competitors. If you're in the alphabet soup, your goals are likely to centre on the time you record.

But in either case, there are bigger goals (enjoyment, scenery, fitness) which do not evaporate just because the main goal has disappeared. As a f'rinstance, my training partner punctured in the One Tonner. We stopped, swapped tubes and rode on. Sure we'd lost the bunch we were with, and our plans of a "good time" went down the road with them. But we were able to carry on and enjoy the rest of the ride.

I've ridden with Airbender a number of times, and I'm pretty sure that his prime goal is always a good day out.

My guru at my LBS gave me a thumbs down on tubbies in my chat with him yesterday...

He said the cost-benefit over time is uncool and "rather spend your moola on a high-quality clincher in the top-end range..."

The input on this thread has been fantastic!

Next steps:

1/ Speak to my wife. :rolleyes:

2/ Speak to my God. :huh:

3/ See what my budget looks like after Christmas. :o

My guru at my LBS gave me a thumbs down on tubbies in my chat with him yesterday...

He said the cost-benefit over time is uncool and "rather spend your moola on a high-quality clincher in the top-end range..."

The input on this thread has been fantastic!

Next steps:

1/ Speak to my wife. :rolleyes:

2/ Speak to my God. :huh:

3/ See what my budget looks like after Christmas. :o

I have also been toying with the whole tubbie idea in my head.

But, it will just break my heart if I end up killing as many of them as I had punctures this season.

I now hate clinchers because I have had flats all season. But I think I will hate tubbies even more if I end up getting flats.

I am not convinced that a bit of sealent in a tubby will really do the trick. As Tankman said, he cant see how a bit of slime will seal a 11 bar hole. I agree with that.

I didnt realise either that they were fitted with latex inner tubes.

I thought that the actual tubby was one piece of material/rubber all the way around.

If that was the case, then plugging it would be a good option, but with a seperate tube inside that option is out the window too.

Also latex sometimes will just go POP like a balloon. If the hole being made is a little to violent you will loose all the air in one second.

Not a good thing at all!

So if you could get a tubby that doesnt have a tube inside that you could plug for flats then I think that would be awesome. With a bit of slime in there it would be easy to see the hole and plug it.

Right now I am seriously thinking about going tubeless on my clinchers.

I believe the tires are expensive and a mission to fit, but any rims could be made to work with them which would be great.

A bit of slime in there as well to identify where any holes are and I think that would be a awesome setup.

So at the end of the day it would probably weight around or slightly less than running tubes, but then at least you have more options if you have problems.

Also dont forget that you may still be able to build your clincher wheelset a bit lighter as well.

My sprint 350's - JB recons I could still take 100grams off them by taking off the straight guage spokes.

They would probably not be far off tubbie weight then.

What to do?........

What to do?........

I have also been toying with the whole tubbie idea in my head.

But, it will just break my heart if I end up killing as many of them as I had punctures this season.

I now hate clinchers because I have had flats all season. But I think I will hate tubbies even more if I end up getting flats.

I am not convinced that a bit of sealent in a tubby will really do the trick. As Tankman said, he cant see how a bit of slime will seal a 11 bar hole. I agree with that.

I didnt realise either that they were fitted with latex inner tubes.

I thought that the actual tubby was one piece of material/rubber all the way around.

If that was the case, then plugging it would be a good option, but with a seperate tube inside that option is out the window too.

Also latex sometimes will just go POP like a balloon. If the hole being made is a little to violent you will loose all the air in one second.

Not a good thing at all!

So if you could get a tubby that doesnt have a tube inside that you could plug for flats then I think that would be awesome. With a bit of slime in there it would be easy to see the hole and plug it.

Right now I am seriously thinking about going tubeless on my clinchers.

I believe the tires are expensive and a mission to fit, but any rims could be made to work with them which would be great.

A bit of slime in there as well to identify where any holes are and I think that would be a awesome setup.

So at the end of the day it would probably weight around or slightly less than running tubes, but then at least you have more options if you have problems.

Also dont forget that you may still be able to build your clincher wheelset a bit lighter as well.

My sprint 350's - JB recons I could still take 100grams off them by taking off the straight guage spokes.

They would probably not be far off tubbie weight then.

What to do?........

What to do?........

Yeah, woofie, what to do?

Choices, choices, choices.

The truth is that there are positives and negatives to every scenario.

Just enough to create my nervousness! Aaaaarghgghgh! :blink:

Now investigating the carbon clincher and comparing the two results.

So, tubeless... Hmmm... is that a 3rd possibility?

Don't do it if you are racing. I did that one season only finished 2/7 Races.

:lol: I've had similar problems Marius. BTW you in for Summer league?

:lol: I've had similar problems Marius. BTW you in for Summer league?

I still cannot believe Marius's finish rate for, I think, last year... :eek:

I still cannot believe Marius's finish rate for, I think, last year... :eek:

Not last year, his finish rate was pretty good as far as I remember.

Problem is that tubbies have latex tubes inside them which are air permeable (that's why tubbie pressures go down slowly & you have to pump them up each ride), so your Stan's or Slime dries quite quickly and you end up with a lump of latex in your wheel and the resultant imbalance can be quite noticeable in a light wheel.

Latex and slime does not mix well...... :angry:

Anybody tried Tufo tubular clinchers?

If it has an internal tube then it will be a waste of time.

If it is one solid tube/tyre that can be plugged then that would be awesome.

You would just need to carry a spare foldflat and tube on training rides though.