Broken collar bone question

chris_w_65

Its like a crashed car, never the same again! In the winter its saw and i find it now after almost 2 years that when i sleep on that shoulder too long at night, that aches a lot! Luckily you cant even see my scar anymore, had a very good dr!

Broke my scapula (shoulder) in a crash with a car.... 8 years ago. It's still a moany SOB that aches at times. I don't think it ever really gets sorted.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...............................speeding up the healing of fractured bones..................................

• Don't drink alcohol
  • Don't smoke
  • Sleep lots

I added my bit, probably unproven, but try it anyway!

Going to start some spinning next week Tuesday which will be 13 days after plated surgery.... Shoulder doesnt feel sore at all currently, so although it may sound early I am hoping it wont cause any damage?

Edited by MK Killer

I have done a lot of googling on speeding up the healing of fractured bones. As I also am booked of for 6 weeks. I am planning (or rather hoping) to make this the most productive 6 weeks in healing time as I can.

Here is a few pointers: (Although this is is written for women, I am sure it will work for men too)smile.png .

In further searches the following were also mentioned:

• Don't drink alcohol
  • Don't smoke

http://www.womentowo...urehealing.aspx

Mads... did you get the op done or natural recovery?

Mads... did you get the op done or natural recovery?

No I have a pelvic fracture from falling off my bike a 3 weekends ago.

Luckily I only have to be bedridden for 6 weeks and no weight on my legs. I say luckily , but it is no joke. But I also believe it is better than an operation........ on the other hand with an operation you know the fracture will be in the correct position at the end as it is kept there with screws and plates. Does that make sense?

Luckily I only have to be bedridden for 6 weeks and no weight on my legs. I say luckily , but it is no joke. But I also believe it is better than an operation........ on the other hand with an operation you know the fracture will be in the correct position at the end as it is kept there with screws and plates. Does that make sense?

ya makes sense! Ouch!!! best of luck

Ouch. Not nice.

My wife broke her pelvis in 2 places 3 years ago. She was on the bike within 4 weeks. Very inconvenient in the beginning but the pelvis is the fastest healing bone. She has had no lasting effects from the break. Of course it depends on the specific break

Good luck

When it comes to collar bones I say "plate that sucker"

I broke mine (in August). Had it plated. I was driving within 3-4 days. Spruit rides after 2 weeks. Dirt jumping after 4.

I still have some discomfort when I sleep on that side. But other than that, feels good!

Ouch. Not nice.

My wife broke her pelvis in 2 places 3 years ago. She was on the bike within 4 weeks. Very inconvenient in the beginning but the pelvis is the fastest healing bone. She has had no lasting effects from the break. Of course it depends on the specific break

Good luck

Thanks that was comforting. smile.png Even though I understand it differs from person to person. Doctor told me if I am good I will be back on the bike in 6 weeks. ......................So I am very very good. rolleyes.gif

When it comes to collar bones I say "plate that sucker"

I broke mine (in August). Had it plated. I was driving within 3-4 days. Spruit rides after 2 weeks. Dirt jumping after 4.

I still have some discomfort when I sleep on that side. But other than that, feels good!

Patches! Just the kind of positive news i was hoping for! Did you take any falls after the 4 week period and did the plate hold up?

I have a ski trip planned exactly 7 weeks after date of surgery and I am hoping to ski - my concern is since it is my first time i may take some falls but hoping that it wont be too risky?

Patches! Just the kind of positive news i was hoping for! Did you take any falls after the 4 week period and did the plate hold up?

I have a ski trip planned exactly 7 weeks after date of surgery and I am hoping to ski - my concern is since it is my first time i may take some falls but hoping that it wont be too risky?

I've had 2 bails since. Both while dirt jumping. One around 4 weeks. One around 7ish. Both times I found myself instinctively protectingthat shoulder by tucking and rolling. So no injury as a result.

Funny enough, when I first got back on the bike, I foun it wasn't jumping that hurt. (that is a slow steady pull up on the bars). It was lifting my wheel for kerbs, bunny hopping and manualling that hurt my shoulder.

But as your muscle starts grawing back (I'm sure you've noticed your injured shoulder has shrunk), you get more stability.

I've had 2 bails since. Both while dirt jumping. One around 4 weeks. One around 7ish. Both times I found myself instinctively protectingthat shoulder by tucking and rolling. So no injury as a result.

Funny enough, when I first got back on the bike, I foun it wasn't jumping that hurt. (that is a slow steady pull up on the bars). It was lifting my wheel for kerbs, bunny hopping and manualling that hurt my shoulder.

But as your muscle starts grawing back (I'm sure you've noticed your injured shoulder has shrunk), you get more stability.

Any views on taking human growth hormone to speed up the recovery?

I found the same, although I have to admit that my taste for jumping took quite a while to return.blush.png

3 weeks since i broke the collar bone and im back on the spinning bike... No pain at all... rather just what feels like a really stiff and weak shoulder...

Hope I can get it to full strength fairly quickly

• 7 years later...

It's been 4 weeks since I crashed, fracturing my collar bone, scapula and 3 ribs. Doc chose not to operate. I took it easy for first couple of weeks, after which I started wearing the sling less and less. Started riding on indoor trainer somewhere between the 2 and 3 week mark (in a sling). I have decent range of motion in my shoulder (can lift arms above head...but should I be?), although any discomfort seems to be more muscular than coming from the collar bone / scapular. 

After the attention (or lack of) that I received from the hospital, I think I'll take my chances taking advice from peeps on the bikehub...

I know I can't be lifting any kind of weight right now, but should I be doing some kind of movement exercises before the 6 week period? All info I can find is specific to either the collar bone, or the scapular but I'm just concerned about doing rehab exercises for the one that might damage the other.

post-2179-0-42377400-1604490056_thumb.jpeg

Edited by devocean