2024 Gravel Race Calendar

News bot

If big skies, huge days, and epic gravel roads are your thing, then look no further. We’ve put together a list of gravel events for 2024 so that you can justify that N+1 purchase and explore more this year. For a comprehensive listing of single day races, check out our Events Directory. You can also look for deals on stage race entries in the Entries and Services section of the Classifieds February 03: The Grind Reverse (Krugersdorp, Gauteng) – Learn More 10: 99er Trilogy Challenge (Durbanville, Western Cape) – Learn More 18: Tour de Worcester Gravel (Worcester, Western Cape) – […]

View full article

Tempted by the 99er only because it looks more fun than the road race, but that course is pretty uninspired for a gravel race. 

Edited by Newbie321

7 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Tempted by the 99er only because it looks more fun than the road race, but that course is pretty uninspired for a gravel race. 

Jip.

Struggling to see what is new to this route, for a Tygerberg club member

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Jip.

Struggling to see what is new to this route, for a Tygerberg club member

ChrisF, not sure I have done much of these trails.  Can they be done on a gravel bike, like this one, see photos...

20240104_065710.jpg

20240104_071154.jpg

1 minute ago, Johan A Marais said:

ChrisF, not sure I have done much of these trails.  Can they be done on a gravel bike, like this one, see photos...

20240104_065710.jpg

20240104_071154.jpg

The trails are in bad condition, compared to the same time the last few years.  The long winter has left some nasty ruts ...

In some areas erosion has not been attended to ....

BUT, as you ride more trails you find freshly groomed berms ....

And you can find all three on most farms.

One would need to ride and check the exact route before commenting on your question.

At a GUESS ... expect a few bad spots . 

That said, it is just possible Patrick and his elves will attend to this before the event ....

2 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

If you can conjure up an inspiring gravel route for a race starting in Durbanville I think you will have the ear of a few race organisers 😄

That said also not the route I would have picked, think it is A) too short and B) the Klipheuwel trails bit is not going to work well for gravel bikes.

The big challenge for the race organisers would be to add a gravel route that attract new riders and not simply transfer riders from the road race to the gravel route. 

17 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

If you can conjure up an inspiring gravel route for a race starting in Durbanville I think you will have the ear of a few race organisers 😄

That said also not the route I would have picked, think it is A) too short and B) the Klipheuwel trails bit is not going to work well for gravel bikes.

The big challenge for the race organisers would be to add a gravel route that attract new riders and not simply transfer riders from the road race to the gravel route. 

True gravel is a difficult task around these parts, maybe they could do a Durbie dash type MTB event instead :D 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:56 PM, Johan A Marais said:

20240104_065710.jpg

20240104_071154.jpg

Johan I did the Klipheuwel and part of the FairCape trails this morning with @KB280DT.

We were busy lamenting the sanity of doing "trails" on a gravel bike .... low and behold ... TWO riders comes from the front, on GRAVEL BIKES ....

Clearly it CAN be done.

MOST of these trails are in decent to good condition.

A few bits, typically the bits that normally stay wet after rain, are badly rutted ....

If you dont know these trails .... handle with care !!  Couple of loose turns.  Both of us nearly went wide a few times.... had some lekker FUN.

24-3-1.jpg.05b6e3d696b71a57f880dc83a9d74a50.jpg

24-3-7.jpg.1fc8443c12d1893d11e4ac41e81f7419.jpg

24-3-6.jpg.a53f658b0361ea65cde013f9cebbb15c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 12:56 PM, Johan A Marais said:

20240104_065710.jpg

20240104_071154.jpg

Johan I did another lap of Klipheuwel and part of FairCape with @KB280DT this morning.

We noticed four distinct "types" of trail

1. Farm roads - a few sections of farm roads are used to link the parts of the trails.  These are mostly in a good condition

24-1-6-20.jpg.356462ab59cbb3e72fb1fddaf23b5e7d.jpg

2. Single track and berms - Mostly the trails and berms are in good condition.  A couple of sections have erosion damage to  the side .... nothing that a bit of lane choice cant sort out.

24-1-6-22.jpg.bd26630e6cfe4cd586a28558707571e5.jpg

24-1-6-18.jpg.82bcc49925b2f18e6dc9a0a2d57b855b.jpg

3. Damaged rutted sections - there are a few short damaged sections in what is typically the low sections, those that remain wet and softer longer ....  but these are short sections

24-1-6-27.jpg.24719e8f48c5a56cb2547eb78537e30f.jpg

4. SAND - Patrick's bovine friends have totally trashed the one short section of trail .... it is just a powdery sandy section now .... this at the end of nice long downhill section .... might be fun getting there at speed.  This may very likely be repaired before the event though .... 

24-1-6-30.jpg.11215891e35b9704f239316360029d30.jpg

Would be interesting the hear the experienced gravel riders feedback after the event.  It certainly is do-able on a gravel bike, saw another one there today.

Trust the photos may help you make a call ....

Edited by ChrisF