Broken collar bone question

chris_w_65

There are more experienced guys here, but from my crash a few years ago I had to do follow up xrays at 6 weeks and then have the doc check it out and advise. Dont recall doing any mobility exercises for the first 2 months, but I had to get a plate and 8 screws on my collarbone so maybe it will be different for you without the op.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been 4 weeks since I crashed, fracturing my collar bone, scapula and 3 ribs. Doc chose not to operate. I took it easy for first couple of weeks, after which I started wearing the sling less and less. Started riding on indoor trainer somewhere between the 2 and 3 week mark (in a sling). I have decent range of motion in my shoulder (can lift arms above head...but should I be?), although any discomfort seems to be more muscular than coming from the collar bone / scapular. 

After the attention (or lack of) that I received from the hospital, I think I'll take my chances taking advice from peeps on the bikehub...

I know I can't be lifting any kind of weight right now, but should I be doing some kind of movement exercises before the 6 week period? All info I can find is specific to either the collar bone, or the scapular but I'm just concerned about doing rehab exercises for the one that might damage the other.

This is some necro-thread!  :thumbup:

I would find a sports/rehab physio and get their input

broke mine 4 weeks. Fracture was comminuted so I had to have it screwed and plated.

Been riding my bike around Cape town for two weeks already. :)

Granted I don't have a fractured scapula, just the clavicle.

I have 95% of full movement and save for a few days before and after surgery my arm has not been in the sling.

I've only just started light muscle strengthening exercises for the shoulder and upper arm muscles.

I am not doing any push up or plank type exercises till the 6week period x-ray indicates healing is on track and bones are fused.

all the above is on advice of my doc.... except maybe the bike riding, although he didn't say that I can't