Garmin is a waste of money ????

Vetseun

Ok so before some people bite my head off this is more a question than a statement.

I just cant see what value a Garmin adds to cycling except weight.

I have a Polar it tells me all I need and want to know.

I gps for my bike just doesnt seem like a responsible expense.

Prove me wrong Im open to your opinions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i couldnt agree more, what more would you need other then a polar!! and the price of those garmins way too excessive

Get a Polar and a 1:50 000 topo map of the area where you want to ride.

my phone does the same as what a Garmin does. And the nice thing is it doesn't cost extra money for using the tracking service

Edited by Whiskers_81

So why do I need a Polar? My Garmin does everything I need and want to know.

Why anything? A smartphone with the right app can do everything you would need including HR these days.

Simple, we like toys otherwise we would be running.

Ok so before some people bite my head off this is more a question than a statement.

I just cant see what value a Garmin adds to cycling except weight.

I have a Polar it tells me all I need and want to know.

I gps for my bike just doesnt seem like a responsible expense.

Prove me wrong Im open to your opinions.

Polar is all good until it hangs or goes blank at the start of a long race. Lots of issues with Polar, and if you havent had any yet, then they are in the post.

Garmin has awesome programability for training workouts of all sorts, you can race an existing route against a virtual partner, and the GPs part is fun too.

I have used both Garmin and Polar, both have their own special issues, I sold the polar and enjoy the Garmin now

I picked up my garmin 2nd hand for just under r2k 3 or 4 years back. Strapped to the surf ski, or taped to the canoe it can tell me how far i've paddled. Strapped to my wrist it can tell me how far i've run, how lost i got at orienteering or how fast i managed to get to in free fall. Strapped to my bike it can give me information there. Lot more useful than the polar as far as i'm concerned.... It's a great little tool. My phone can do all these things, but the garmin is a lot more replacable.

Pick the correct tools for the job and the one's your happy using.

Most of the people that cycle have equipment way above what they need but they buy it because it is nice to have

If it tells you everything you need to know then its no surprise you don't see any value. Sometimes you need to know what you don't know.

We,ve been doing mtb riding out in the north of JHB for years, and alway thought there must be a way of linking 1,2 or even 3 of the tracks to get 1 big long loop, we took our garmin records overlaid them on Google Earth and voila, we have now an option of up to 100km of awsome track. with out a Garmin this would be impossible. I guess if all you do is road work then you can just use a map book ;)

Most of the people that cycle have equipment way above what they need but they buy it because it is nice to have

I just want one

maddox[/b]' timestamp='1291648276' post='1246646']

If it tells you everything you need to know then its no surprise you don't see any value. Sometimes you need to know what you don't know.

Wisdom is strong in this one :o

Got a Polar CS300 wireless speed sensor it keeps losing the speed for a few seconds then your total ride is stuffed. Takes a while also to find your heart rate.

Just got a Garmin 705 what a great toy. What I like mostly is the elevation and % grade. Load garmin maps and you have a good gps. Also its very accurate.

Edited by Ceres