Garmin is a waste of money ????

Vetseun

my phone does the same as what a Garmin does. And the nice thing is it doesn't cost extra money for using the tracking service

So what are you using as a cadence sensor...?

and heart rate strap?

Power meter?

Where is you phone during a ride?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have Polar S725X, used it for 4 years.

Picked up a Garmin Edge 305 for R900 with a faulty battery. The unit was out of warranty so therefore replaced it with a Nokia battery. Works like a charm!

They are both great devices.

The only function that interested me in the Garmin was the gps logging. I can therefore go back to the exact point after the race where my HR was say 95%, then scroll across to see exactly where it was on the map/google earth.

There are two points to weigh up between Polar and Garmin when it comes to logging your data.

Polar: +-8hrs if logs every 5sec. +-22 hrs if logs every 15sec. 99hrs if logs every 60sec. (Also depends on accessories; cadence sensor, power meter, speed sensor. etc)

Therefore this can be used for a multistage race, depending on how long the race is the appropriate setting needs to be selected from the above options. (For example: 3 day stage race, 6 hrs in the saddle per day x 3 days = 18 hrs) Therefore the record mode needs to be set to log every 15sec. OR (5 day stage race @ 6 hrs/day = 30hrs, therefore data would need to be logged every 60sec.

Now, alot can happen to your data every 15sec or 60sec! Ascent, speed and cadence would jump every 15 to 60sec when reviewing it on your PC.

Garmin: Logs data every 3 seconds on smart recording. Battery life is around 10-12hrs. Therefore all that would need to be done on the above mentioned multi-stage races is to charge the unit! You can then also see the actual route ridden on Google earth.

This all depends on what Polar you are using as the new RS800CX can be used with the optional GPS accessory. However, the data is logged at the identical increments (5sec, 15sec, 60sec)

So either charge your Garmin unit 3 times in the long multi-stage race or change the logged data on your Polar accordingly. Simpler terms; you would have very accurate data (Garmin) vs not so accurate/delayed (Polar)

My 2cents worth :D

Hmm my sigma tells me elevation,hr,ave speed total ascent in m. What more do I know?

Agree . Sigma Rox 9 quick and easy. Always picking up cadence, HR and speed. Plus it has a real altimeter so the altitude graphs looks real, unlike the garmin ascents where it looks like you been cycling upside down or riding a wave :( . The Sigma pc interface is also pretty cool, logging all data in graphs and comparing different trips. No need to recharge these regularly either as the batteries lasts very long.

Those that complain about Polar losing data does not follow instructions. I have been using Polar since 2002 (S210) and only lost info once due to a battery that failed..... that was my own fault.

Ok so before some people bite my head off this is more a question than a statement.

I just cant see what value a Garmin adds to cycling except weight.

I have a Polar it tells me all I need and want to know.

I gps for my bike just doesnt seem like a responsible expense.

Prove me wrong Im open to your opinions.

Where Garmins and Polars offer similar features, the Garmins are often much cheaper e.g. the FR60 supports foot pods, cadence/speed sensors and has full data downloading capabilities. The cheapest Polars that do this (RS800, CS 600 etc) come in at twice the price.

I initially bought an Edge 705 because I couldn't use the speed sensor on my Polar S725 with my new bike on the IDT (it wouldn't detect it when it was on the rear wheel). This may have changed with W.I.N.D sensors, though. I continue using the Garmin over a Polar because it has the following features:

- complete data download. I can get a second by second plot of the data for my entire ride. Almost all Garmins do this (even the R1.2k FR60), while only the R4k+ Polars do it.

- ANT+ support for 3rd party power meters. The Polar power meter is just not good enough.

- Advanced interval workouts. I can program intervals with multiple combinations of goals, times and distances. Polars can't do this.

- Massive memory. It's theoretically possible to record continously for 180 days before running out. It's much easier to find somewhere to charge an empty Garmin battery than it is to find somewhere to download a full Polar memory.

- GPS. The GPS data makes it easy for me to identify key points in a ride hours or days after it's happened. Looking at a map jogs my memory much better than trying to recall specific times or distances when things happened.

Guest agteros

Polar is all good until it hangs or goes blank at the start of a long race. Lots of issues with Polar, and if you havent had any yet, then they are in the post.

Garmin has awesome programability for training workouts of all sorts, you can race an existing route against a virtual partner, and the GPs part is fun too.

I have used both Garmin and Polar, both have their own special issues, I sold the polar and enjoy the Garmin now

Did the same. Had a Polar S720i, and am now the proud owner of a Garmin ForeRunner 405, and expecting my Edge 800 in the post just before Christmas. The Garmin added mapping, and instant/current speed to my running, as well as auto laps to my running AND cycling. The Edge will talk to my birthday present (power meter), for which Polar has a ho-hum solution.

Polar is good and so is Garmin, but horse for courses... A farmer might not need a Ferrari, and a racing driver might not need a tractor. Just get the right tool for what you want to do

Where Garmins and Polars offer similar features, the Garmins are often much cheaper e.g. the FR60 supports foot pods, cadence/speed sensors and has full data downloading capabilities. The cheapest Polars that do this (RS800, CS 600 etc) come in at twice the price.

I initially bought an Edge 705 because I couldn't use the speed sensor on my Polar S725 with my new bike on the IDT (it wouldn't detect it when it was on the rear wheel). This may have changed with W.I.N.D sensors, though. I continue using the Garmin over a Polar because it has the following features:

- complete data download. I can get a second by second plot of the data for my entire ride. Almost all Garmins do this (even the R1.2k FR60), while only the R4k+ Polars do it. Why do you want this and what do you do with the data.... do you have so much time at hand

- ANT+ support for 3rd party power meters. The Polar power meter is just not good enough.

- Advanced interval workouts. I can program intervals with multiple combinations of goals, times and distances. Polars can't do this. How do you see this through a haze of bloodsweat?????

- Massive memory. It's theoretically possible to record continously for 180 days before running out. It's much easier to find somewhere to charge an empty Garmin battery than it is to find somewhere to download a full Polar memory. Why do you have to store your info for 180 days I thought you said above you study the infoo second for second..... does that not become a schlepp after 180 days????

- GPS. The GPS data makes it easy for me to identify key points in a ride hours or days after it's happened. Looking at a map jogs my memory much better than trying to recall specific times or distances when things happened.

If you just knew..... When using the Polar S725 you can have the settings on the cadence as well as speed sensors changed to increase transmission strength for use on tandems and other applications.

Edited by Big H

Guest agteros

If you just knew..... When using the Polar S725 you can have the settings on the cadence as well as speed sensors changed to increase transmission strength for use on tandems and other applications.

and decreasing battery life as a consequence, while still not giving meaningful power readings

and decreasing battery life as a consequence, while still not giving meaningful power readings

Does power readings please your tostestorone clouded mind???????..... just asking..... weird what cyclists will do to ensure and confrim they are still as strong as they know they are..... and all just for bragging rights.

Does power readings please your tostestorone clouded mind???????..... just asking..... weird what cyclists will do to ensure and confrim they are still as strong as they know they are..... and all just for bragging rights.

If you put it that way then you don't really need heart rate, cadence or speed. You can check the time on the kitchen clock when you leave and check it again when you get back. Shorter time elapsed means you went faster

If you put it that way then you don't really need heart rate, cadence or speed. You can check the time on the kitchen clock when you leave and check it again when you get back. Shorter time elapsed means you went faster

You are dead right..... we are all the gullible victims of fashion and market hype..... no carbon no good, no 10/11 speed no good, no HRM no good, no Garmin guiding you on your way ..... you become a wayward soul who can get lost and cannot identify "points" along the route. Thus deeming you as a species that are called sub-cyclist!!!!!!!

Guest agteros

Big H getting defence, aggresive and personal in one go! FTW!

Ever considered that your shoes do not fit all feet?

Big H getting defence, aggresive and personal in one go! FTW!

Ever considered that your shoes do not fit all feet?

For those who do not know FTW is means "For The Win" and internet expression of enthusiasm...... thanx ou Ossie!!!!!!!

Only problem I have with my 725x is that in Windows 7 my IR USB went nuts. Lost some data from a ride like speed and all that, but I need a new IR device... So what are you getting for the pagan feast?