Bike insurance

The_Break

Oh ok , but i heard Cyclesure doesnt cover every thing , only if the the bike is stolen fom a locked house , and the bike has to be chained up in side the house :huh: ???

I do not believe that is true. So long as you can prove breaking and entering or illegal entry then they should cover it.

I have claimed three times since 2008 from Cyclsure to the value of about R40k and they are very, very fast and professional with the minimum of questions asked. Those claims alone far outway the premiums I have already paid and with continue to pay for them for some time still.

2 of my claims where when I was outside the country and within 2-3 days I had the cash in my bank account and could replace then at my nearest dealer.

I would not hesitate to go with Cyclesure. There have been a few nasty comments about them, but once you look into the actual circumstances you always see that the people complaining did not follow the policy guidelines and rules.

So yeah, Cyclesure for sure!

I would go local prices, they will be happy to insure for that and pay that out for local replacement

Agreed, they ask you to get quotes from a few bike dealers and then normally take the lowest quote. Also, remember to constantly keep your insurance adjusted to the current price. I think a lot of guys out there are paying too much at the moment with the strong rand. You could be saving some cash each month.

I do not believe that is true. So long as you can prove breaking and entering or illegal entry then they should cover it.

I have claimed three times since 2008 from Cyclsure to the value of about R40k and they are very, very fast and professional with the minimum of questions asked. Those claims alone far outway the premiums I have already paid and with continue to pay for them for some time still.

2 of my claims where when I was outside the country and within 2-3 days I had the cash in my bank account and could replace then at my nearest dealer.

I would not hesitate to go with Cyclesure. There have been a few nasty comments about them, but once you look into the actual circumstances you always see that the people complaining did not follow the policy guidelines and rules.

So yeah, Cyclesure for sure!

I doubt they would cover a bike that is not locked to an imovable object while in a carport . It is way too easy for someone to jump over the wall and grab it.

What would be the best value for money Bike Insurance be now days?

I have been insured with 4 companies,and am currently insured with Outsurance , possibly the only one who insures while actually racing, my excess is R250-00 irrespective of claim size, monthly cost is around R400-00 and I am insured for R125 000-00. You will need to list all your stuff separately ie Cervelo R3 @ R65 000-00, Giant Anthem @ R40 000-00 and a Giant XTC @ R20 000-00. Send them serial nos as well as a pic.

I have had two claims , one for R7000-00 and the other for R35 000-00, both claims were settled in full within 48hrs, less the R250-00 excess . With the replacement cost of bikes now you cannot efford not to be insured.

Hope this helps your plight. R3SL

ps, make sure you are covered for racing as said above because most insurers do not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with R3SL

I am also with Outsurance and they are an absolute pleasure to deal with :)

Had a claim that took 9 weeks to sort out with my previous insurer and 1 with outsurance. No hassles whatsoever with Outsurance :thumbup:

Here's another insurance company ( http://www.miway.co.za/bicycle-insurance )

I have no experience with them but I am interested on your opinions, as this seems very cheap.

On the site you can enter the value of your bike for an estimated value for the insurance.

They are cheaper , you are correct , DO THEY COVER YOU WHILE RACING ???????

They are cheaper , you are correct , DO THEY COVER YOU WHILE RACING ???????

I think they do actually. This is what the site says, "We will cover your Mountain Bike or Road Bike not only while training but also during and en-route to races!"

It doesn't appear that they cover accessories (i.e. Helmet etc.)

I wonder if they will cover 50g tubes against loss :lol:

Haha :D I think that tube was priceless, would have been a major excess.

I doubt they would cover a bike that is not locked to an imovable object while in a carport . It is way too easy for someone to jump over the wall and grab it.

I also doubt they would because that would be silly. What I meant by illegal entry is a situation for instance when your bike is inside your house and your housekeeper is at home during the day and someone enters and steels whilst she is hanging up the washing.