NCR: Vibram Five Finger Shoes

HowellingWulf

Somebody recently told me about a book they read re. the natural dynamics of running, and what crucial role the arc of your foot (acts as a elastic curved beam) plays in the whole process. Apparently, according to the book, running shoes, which supports your arc instead of allowing it to flex "as per design", negates the effect and actually screws up the whole dynamic.. Or something like that. Don’t quote me on this, but it seems vaguely plausible, so who knows, maybe these are on to something..

Running shoes also promote landing on your heel = repetitive impact and over time, injury.

The 5 finger encourages the more natural bare foot style of running on the balls of your feet.

Thick sole running shoes also prevent your feet from feeling the ground and letting them compensate for irregularities, so there are more twisted ankles etc.

The 5 fingers let your feet feel the ground and lets the supercomputer that is your brain balance your feet and body over uneven ground.

They let you feel the kudu in you.

They do look funny.

But so does cycling kit in the coffee shop...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about those ppl with oddly 'shaped' feet? My second toe is longer than my big toe but I see the design only has in-line (or shorted - gauging from the pic) :blink:

Edit: and they only go up to EU48 :( I am 49/50

Edited by SirK

The book is called Born to Run, very inspirational.

Ricky, don't buy the ones in your picture, they are now an old model and there are better ones available.

These would suit you better.

http://www.lovethoseshoes.com/images/fullsize/FF-TrekSport-Red.jpg

If you want to start running with them , be careful, you can pm. me for some tips.

I ran a nice 11 km. trail run with my Bikila's last night.

My wife wears her to gym.

These are mine.

post-4100-0-20170300-1292308410.jpg

Where did you buy these Dangle?

Drifters in Sandton City, very knowledgeable guys there.

Finish Line Cycles is also super helpful.

If i were you i have a look at the INOV-8 brand... very light, awesome shoe and they have a recovery shoe as well - recolite 190...!

The best and lightest natural minimalist trailrunning shoe in the world!

www.inov-8.com

+1

Check this out as well - interesting youtube video explaining the dynamics of "barefoot" running.

http://inov-8.com/News-Detail.asp?NID=342&L=26

Guest agteros

why are everybody so brand concious? Vibrams I can understand, as there are no other shoe that looks/acts/offers what it does...

Inov8 .. just another lightweight racing shoe. Yep, new on the market, heavy marketing, mostly used by elite athletes

But why so brand concious?

The Inov8 guys have done some very clever marketing, I agree with RearOx.

It's all in your face marketing, if all goes well in a year or so I might even get Luna Sandals.

A very interesting shoe I am after , are these puppies here:

http://images.irunfar.com/wp-content/uploads/New-Balance-Minimus-Trail.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

@Dangle. The pic I took was a screenshot off their site. I was actually looking at a the same pair you have. They have/had them at SBR in Sunninghill. I know that Troisport in Sunninghill stocks the Inov8 shoes. Maybe I should move the previous 2 sentences onto the other thread...

Inov8 shoes are very popular overseas with trail running and orienteering. Like someone said earlier, some of us have longer second toes :). I would rather get Inov8s anyway (was told that it is very good if you are a mid foot striker).

From what I heard as well, if you are a heel striker and suddenly start mid foot striking you will pick up calf and achilles tendon problems. So maybe that is something to consider if you want to change from "normal" running shoes to these.

Inov8 shoes are very popular overseas with trail running and orienteering. Like someone said earlier, some of us have longer second toes :). I would rather get Inov8s anyway (was told that it is very good if you are a mid foot striker).

From what I heard as well, if you are a heel striker and suddenly start mid foot striking you will pick up calf and achilles tendon problems. So maybe that is something to consider if you want to change from "normal" running shoes to these.

So true.

I will guarantee you, go run 1 km. and you won't walk the next day ;)

My second toe is bigger than my big toe (which makes my second toe my big toe) yes I have pyramid feet :o and the Vibrams fit like a glove.

I dont like shoe laces. The whole under-over-round-through-the-hole-thing is too complicated for me... Plus they tend to stretch and go loose. That is one of the reasons I was looking at these and as mentioned earlier, they look mighty comfy. I have 3 pairs of Salomons and was keen on trying something new and laceless (if there is such a word).

Listen to Dangle. If he says 1km only. Then its 1km only and not 2km. Your calves will hurt like hell.

I dont like shoe laces. The whole under-over-round-through-the-hole-thing is too complicated for me... Plus they tend to stretch and go loose. That is one of the reasons I was looking at these and as mentioned earlier, they look mighty comfy. I have 3 pairs of Salomons and was keen on trying something new and laceless (if there is such a word).

You will fall in love with them captain :D