It's raining, its pouring....

Mojoman

Yeah, the Cato Ridge pipeline is for water, we rode past it last weekend. Still doesnt help our friends in the Eastern Cape. They must surley be looking at ideas on how to get more water to the area :unsure:

I read that once this water pipe has finished being laid down, it will leave a concrete "cover" over it that's be about 3m wide, this will then be turned into a cycling/jogging path :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that once this water pipe has finished being laid down, it will leave a concrete "cover" over it that's be about 3m wide, this will then be turned into a cycling/jogging path :)

Ive yet to see that, the pipes we saw were covered by massive rocks in steel cages, not sure if that they comin back over it with concrete, would be an awesome idea though

Not sure how it's going to work, but the "keep hillcrest beautiful" people reckon it's going to happen, starting with the path linking up kloof to hillcrest and then onwards.

We have used up most of our catchment areas, the large ones at least. Our river are small and we live in a very arid country.

Have been flying all over Brasil the last couple of days, unbelieveable the magnitude of the rivers systems - both size and quantity, even in places considered by them as arid.

damn it 150kms to Babbas Lodge for the biogen race. only to get there and get told the race is cancelled/move to the 9th Jan. @#$%#$$ now all the way home.

does anyone know what the story is do i get an auto entry or refund or what?

There are 2 pipelines. There is a petrol pipe running south of durban and up through tala valley area. But i'm sure the one running down the N3 and through cato ridge area is a water pipe? i would love to know the details, probably on durban.gov website?? i'll look!

as far as i know there are two water pipelines. one to augment durban supply and another for the north coast. Both umgeni water projects.....oh and rain just stopped here in maritzburugh

There is no proven models for predicting weather patterns. All is empirical. Not even rainfall measured is the same from one m2 to the next.

Unlike most other disciplines in Engineering where most is done from proven first principles the same cannot be said of Hydrology.

I'm a hydrology M.Sc student in PMB, Big H. I couldn't have said it better :clap:

I'm a hydrology M.Sc student in PMB, Big H. I couldn't have said it better :clap:

Teee hee I am waiting for the Mechanical fundi's to come and disprove my statement with pages and pages filled with graphs formulas and other mumbo jumbo about tensile strenghs, bending moments, and load transfers.

I will then just pull a quick Blaney Criddle on them but I cannot remember my Grandmothers birthday and how many litters our cat had...... and that is verrrrry important to get the answer!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Big H

110mm as of 09h30 this morning here in Mnandi, just south west of Centurion. Then it stopped, the sun came out and that braai we cancelled was all of a sardine the fire was a burnin.

Cant predict the weather for Sheet, and the patterns fascinate me as most of the rain seems to come from the South, but those weather systems that come from the North West - beware and sometimes we sit in the middle and get sqaut, except for a good lightning show and I have to drug the crap out of my dog - poor George!

110mm as of 09h30 this morning here in Mnandi, just south west of Centurion. Then it stopped, the sun came out and that braai we cancelled was all of a sardine the fire was a burnin.

Cant predict the weather for Sheet, and the patterns fascinate me as most of the rain seems to come from the South, but those weather systems that come from the North West - beware and sometimes we sit in the middle and get sqaut, except for a good lightning show and I have to drug the crap out of my dog - poor George!

Pretoria/Centurion is famous for its incredible hail storms coming form the north west. The last one I saw had hailstones ranging between golf and teniisballs and came over the N1 just south of the Rigel bridge. The damage path was something difficult to comprehend. I saw standard IBR galavnised sheeting where the hailstone went right through. An interesting theory was that there terriffying storms occurred when ISOR had a higher than normal day of production with a thunderstorm passing over. The rising heat thermals greater than normal apparently created these mega hailstorms