GT karakoram 29'er

Nomad978

Hey guys..

i just bought a gt karakoram 29er , and i must say i am dam impressed with it if u consider value for money !

depite the 'bling' it aint so bad looking

post-6070-0-05043600-1293548101.jpg

More info!...this is the bike I am looking at getting in the new year. I believe it goes for around R8000 or so?

Hilarious, I've JUST seen one today at CWC - took it for a spin round the lot and I love it - coincidence that you bought it today! R7995 at CWC, let me know how it performs, I love the look :clap:

Yeah,

I actualy saw one at my LBS.

Its a nice looking rig. No doubt. Very blingy, and looks like it costs a lot more than it does.

It appears to be the 29r version of the Avalanche, from a Heirachy point of view.

I was truly going to buy one, I own a Zaskar pro already (26r).

I felt the spec is a bit low (but that can be changed in time) and the weight a bit too dumpy.

I still dig them, and if they had one specced with SLX or X7, for around 10k, I would buy it without batting an eyelid.

For 8k that thing is gonna take over the market. There is a Giant and a Raleigh for cheaper but both of them only have Suntour forks and this one already comes with some bling parts. It looks like the Springbok edition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys..

i just bought a gt karakoram 29er , and i must say i am dam impressed with it if u consider value for money !

depite the 'bling' it aint so bad looking

Hi Nomad978

I've also got one of these 'brommer groen' bikes and like it a lot. Not too mad about the colour, but for the price its something I quickly got used to. Bought mine late in August 2010 and have done quite a bit of riding since then without much trouble developing: snapped a rear spoke and had to replace a fraying rear derailleur cable. Customisations done: replaced the standard saddle with a Brooks B17 leather saddle and fitted a riser bar. This helped a lot to make the riding position more comfortable. I'm based in Somerset West and the LBS mentioned that they have sold all their early stock of this 29er.

Hi Nomad978

I've also got one of these 'brommer groen' bikes and like it a lot. Not too mad about the colour, but for the price its something I quickly got used to. Bought mine late in August 2010 and have done quite a bit of riding since then without much trouble developing: snapped a rear spoke and had to replace a fraying rear derailleur cable. Customisations done: replaced the standard saddle with a Brooks B17 leather saddle and fitted a riser bar. This helped a lot to make the riding position more comfortable. I'm based in Somerset West and the LBS mentioned that they have sold all their early stock of this 29er.

Karakoram, if you don't mind - what sort of riding do you do with your 29er? I read somewhere else on the hub that one hubber had an issue with wheel flex on contermanskloof's singletrack with a demo unit - have you had any issues with your wheels?

Karakoram, if you don't mind - what sort of riding do you do with your 29er? I read somewhere else on the hub that one hubber had an issue with wheel flex on contermanskloof's singletrack with a demo unit - have you had any issues with your wheels?

I mostly ride dirt tracks in our local vineyards as well as rutty jeep tracks out at Struisbaai, and some single track riding near Stellenbosch.

My LBS recommended bringing the bike in for a check-up after a month or so and one of the snags I listed was the spokes felt like they were busy loosening. The technical guy at the shop confirmed my prognosis and re-tweaked the spokes plus added some 'nipple freeze' (don't ask) stuff to prevent a re-occurrence. While riding out at Struisbaai one of the rear spokes simply snapped. I took the wheel to another LBS (somebody that understands bicycle wheels) for a spoke replacement and when I collected the wheel the chap mentioned that the spokes were much too tight. During the service he eased off the tension and also trued the wheel. I've since done two rides with the repaired wheel and have had no trouble yet. The front wheels has been okay all along. Time will tell.

Thanks for the response, considering one of these, just trying to work out how well it will perform as a trail / singletrack rig

Edited by the_wes