Morewood Zula Setup

Chubba

Hi All

Happy new year!

Are there any specific items i would need to look at getting for a morewood zula build. Currently have a specialized stumpjumper that i will harvest parts from. But does the zula require any specific parts?

I am also looking to replace my wheelset, currently tubeless mavic crosstrail. Don't really have budget for this but what could you recommend - factory or custom tubeless set? I weigh in at 88kgs. Frame is white/red.

Thanks

Edited by Chubba

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Na all your components should work if you build it over, My brother did put some black / white american classics on his Zula and it looks awesome, but thats asthetics, buiild over you current components till you feel the need and have the budget to upgrade.

Happy riding the zula is an amazing frame.

Thanks for the reply Covie.

American classics are awesome wheels but R4k is a bit steep for me at this time.

Really and Truly, there is nothing wrong with Cross Trail's. You'll need spend big $$$$ to get major gains there. Besides, they are bullet proof, and for heavy okes like us, they great.

I'd say stick with them!

I'm also running a set of cross trails.

Riding my zula for the last 3 months. Same color as yours. Took all my components over from my Santa Cruz Superlite. Brilliant bike. post me after your first ride and watch it on the downs.

Havent ridden crosstails but yeah AC are not known to be brilliant for heavy riders like us. I ride XT and they are bullet proof as well. But like Daniel says not sure there is much diff between the XT and the Mavics either.

To be honest, there is very little between the XT's and Cross Trails, except that the Mavic's tend to cost a bit more for bearings and body's etc. Wouldnt change them.

Thought about changing them as my one wheel has a ding in it that can't be fixed, wobbling a bit.

With all the input i recon ill just get a new rim. Thanks guys.

Is the seatpost a 30.9mm?

As far as setup, I wouldnt ride a longer fork then 100mm on the zula, My Reba came with 120mm and it made the bike terrible, uphill or down. It stuffed the angles up real bad. Ride it with enough sag in the rear, Id say 25 - 30% min.

I normally ride the front of my bike pretty low, did so on my santacruise aswell( long arms), but Im riding the morewood even lower. a even more race like position and because I want to make it climb as best possible.

I have a Crank bross Cobalt xc3 "zero rize" bar, its 680mm and has more backsweep than a flat bar, It actually goes perfect with the bike since the lively geometry and trailbike feel means one can run slightly lower front and still have a bike that loves play and popping the bike around on.

my point, keep the front low, If you want it fast, It will still handle downhills etc.

As far as setup, I wouldnt ride a longer fork then 100mm on the zula, My Reba came with 120mm and it made the bike terrible, uphill or down. It stuffed the angles up real bad. Ride it with enough sag in the rear, Id say 25 - 30% min.

I normally ride the front of my bike pretty low, did so on my santacruise aswell( long arms), but Im riding the morewood even lower. a even more race like position and because I want to make it climb as best possible.

I have a Crank bross Cobalt xc3 "zero rize" bar, its 680mm and has more backsweep than a flat bar, It actually goes perfect with the bike since the lively geometry and trailbike feel means one can run slightly lower front and still have a bike that loves play and popping the bike around on.

my point, keep the front low, If you want it fast, It will still handle downhills etc.

might have to look for a new shock, have a 120mm reba on my stumpie.

have 3 sets of bars all 680mm. all varying degree of rise. will play around with them.

climibing is my nemesis, so hope the zula can give a bit of a push uphill!

Thought about changing them as my one wheel has a ding in it that can't be fixed, wobbling a bit.

With all the input i recon ill just get a new rim. Thanks guys.

Is the seatpost a 30.9mm?

yes seatpost is

might have to look for a new shock, have a 120mm reba on my stumpie.

have 3 sets of bars all 680mm. all varying degree of rise. will play around with them.

climibing is my nemesis, so hope the zula can give a bit of a push uphill!

no the reba is perfect, you just add a spacer to limit the travel to 100mm, I did it myself, really easy.

If youre not a climber I would make the bike as climbing efficient as possible and rather be slightly worse at the downhills- your skills/talent can make up for that.

The Reba can normally convert from 120 to 100 or 80 its just spacers they put in or remove to change the settings.

not to sharp with all the technical stuff - will ask get the dudes who do the build-over of the bikes to set the reba to 100mm.

@Bos who could you recommend in CT for the build over?

BMC off Lower Main Road in Woodstock

1 Argyle Road

(Around the corner from Honest Avron)

021 448 4692