What MTB shoes you ride?

mark ellis

Looking at getting some new mtb shoes end of month, just interested to see what others are riding, got a pair of Shimano's cheapies that have been great but getting a bit old now. Have been looking at Sidi and Spez, looking to spend around R3000

How 'seriously' must one consider a softer shoe (that you can hike in for Epic) vs a conventional hard soled MTB shoe. I mean, do I need to go and buy new shoes that are more grippy on the rocks, with a more flexible sole - the ones I currently ride in are like glass on the rocks - slippery!

interesting topic, also been riding with some old northwave mtb shoes and looking to get a pair at the end of this month! like the look of sidi's far more though :D what size in 44, 45, 46 is a uk 10 by the way? Does it vary with diff make shoes? Shimano, sidi, spez?

Just like a saddle and helmet, fit is much more important then price (and colour). I've got extremely narrow feet and the expensive euro brands don't fit me. The cheaper Shimano, Louis Garneu and Northwave shoes fits me better.

Have a look at some louis garneau's, they are awesome and quite well priced

I agree. The Mavic shoes are good too, if a bit pricey. I was upset when they stopped making the adidas shoes, though…still have a pair in decent nick.

Hi have had two pairs of spez. and are now looking at sidi's as both the spez. has torn and my road sidi's are just awesome! I know the mtb shoes take a lot more strain than road shoes, but two pairs with the one torn at the toe and the other pair the top strap(ratchet) torn off so that it can not be repaired.

Besides these two issues, the spez. is awesome shoes please don't get me wrong! I think its just now time to try something new...

My 2c!!

I've been riding Shimanos for some years now and am really happy - they suit me foot shape well.

THEN!

Shimano brought out the custom fit system. Holy bejeebers they're good.

Once they've been moulded to your foot it's like wearing your favourite pair of slippers.

If Shimanos work for you then seriousy consider the custom shoes - they are the dogs bollocks.

Sidi are probably the best option if you are looking at spending extra, you can replace parts on them, the tread on the bottom, the ratchets and the ratchet strap. . . . o and you can get snazy toe guards for the dragons if you find urself kicking the toe alot.

so my 2c, have a look at Louis garneau and Sidi and decide for yourself. :thumbup:

Eldron, have a look at the new LG T-Flex 300, they are custom moldable and can be repetitively molded by conventional household means :drool:

Edited by FowlStArt