Distributors what they do for us

Guest coenie

A man I respect and appreciate - local LBS owner - often complains about his relationship with the suppliers / distributors.

Pity. :blink:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you CWCycles Online - order placed yesterday at 15:45, received the stock this morning at 08:55

What I don't get is how this whole country can shut down because it's xmas time. For everything you have to wait till the new year. How can business just shut down for weeks? There must be someone there to process oreders. Even our local garage store ran out of Simba chips.

Whats up with that?

I ordered items from CW cycles on Thurs 16 Dec and I had it in my hands on the monday (20th). The same day (16th) I orderd a ton of kit from Wear Direct and I am still waiting for it.

They did not answer my emails and when I phoned, the phone just rang. They did not even put a reply to say they are closed and give a date when they will open. What crap is that. If you want to have a online shopping website you need to deliver. Not shut down for the holidays.

Boy do we suffer - I mean the lbs owes us, the distributor owes us - we're cyclist guys come on now - how can you shut down when we need upgrades etc.

Its rough being a cyclist - in my next life I will try running - harder on the joints, but no dealings with the lbs!

I vote that bike shops and distributors should open 365 days a year! They owe it to us............ and that would keep our oestrogen levels in check

My biggest beef with the local industry is lack of stock and knowledge.

I always do a bit of research before I buy something and tend to be a bit selective about the stuff I buy. Not quite anal but not far off :)

The probem is that shops just don't keep stock. At least 8 out of 10 attempts to buy something at the LBS result in "that'll be 5 days", "uhhhh what?" or "yeah we've heard about 15mm through axles but we'll have to make some calls and get back to you".

It's the biggest reason I shop on the 'net. You can search for 29er tyres and have 10 options not one dusty tyre hanging in the corner of the LBS.

A huge selection of stock, great prices and delivered to your door free of charge in under 5 days - how can the LBS compete with that? If people learnt to research a bit as well as service their own bikes the LBS would be extinct.

:clap: :clap: Just recieved the following from CRC in 10 days incl Christmas and New Year:

Camelback Rouge R288 plus 14% vat = R328.32

Shimano SPD M520 R186 plus 14% vat = R212.04

ProLogo Kappa Dea Saddle R232 plus 14% vat = R265.00

In Dec CWC delivered a new Truvativ Stylo Team stem and riser bar for R580 in 2 days to Jozi.

Plus....I know a great bike mechanic who works from home to sort the mechanicals I cant do myself.

So someone please remind me why we need a LBS?.............. My only loyalty is to my pocket!

My biggest beef with the local industry is lack of stock and knowledge.

I always do a bit of research before I buy something and tend to be a bit selective about the stuff I buy. Not quite anal but not far off :)

The probem is that shops just don't keep stock. At least 8 out of 10 attempts to buy something at the LBS result in "that'll be 5 days", "uhhhh what?" or "yeah we've heard about 15mm through axles but we'll have to make some calls and get back to you".

It's the biggest reason I shop on the 'net. You can search for 29er tyres and have 10 options not one dusty tyre hanging in the corner of the LBS.

A huge selection of stock, great prices and delivered to your door free of charge in under 5 days - how can the LBS compete with that? If people learnt to research a bit as well as service their own bikes the LBS would be extinct.

The corner bike shop doesn't have the capital. With product width and depth at what it is, and at the average unit cost, the guy who owns the corner bicycle shop doesnt know what to buy and would need millions to buy it. If they did put their balls to the wall they would be strapped with interest and redundant stock in 6 months at the rate of component and frame evolution.

See that the LBS puts most of his money into childrens bikes just before christmas.

They put their money into the necessities: the tubes, the small assortment of saddles and grips and tape, the assortment of lights, cartridges and the service products/ consumables needed to run the workshop.

The onus is on the distributor to carry stock which the LBS can pull off when he receives an order. When he fails to close the deal, he blames the distributor.

Lets face it, components don't last like they did when a cluster only had six gears. Technology has come at the expense of durability. The old adage always reads: the less working parts... the longer it lasts. This has boosted maintenance and service requirements.

Now throw mud and sand into the equation with the growth of MTB over the last decades. The MTB is probably the lifeline of the LBS industry in this country. Very few LBS would exist today if there wasnt the service and maintenance division carrying the shop expenses; because hell knows the fact is: goods purchases are going 'net' for the very reason Eldron highlights: confidence, availability, selection and delivery. And most importantly: price, as the middle man falls out of the loop.

But in fairness this applies mostly to the type of discerning customer. The profile of a hubber: someone fairly serious and passionate about cycling and spending regularly in the industry and not the average joe buying something to commute or something to put a bow on.

Edited by eggsovereasywithteandtoast

Guys there is a simple solution, but Dinosaurs need to die before a NEW AGE can begin.

One acronym, YDE!

Paul Simon (not of Garfunkel fame ;) ) got it right in the clothing industry.

I see it as an avenue for the LBS, but NO one wants to rock the boat.

Sad really...

Edited by 101SCC

I think you've got quite a good point there @101scc; question is, how would it work? I foresee a number of problems with that model.

Well here is soemthing worth spitting at.

From a distributors point of view:

I would not deal through any LBS because:

1) they dont want to keep stock. they want consignment stock.

2) when they do order a few units, they want to pay on 90 - 120 days. WTF do i look like a bank.

So offcourse i will charge premium price to support your coke snorting habbits.

3) if they just order stock for a client that will come pick it up 10min after you leave, they get paid immediately by the client and still say we are SO SO SO BIG bikes hsop and will pay you on 90 days.

NO THANK YOU. i do not need the shops. I sell direct. i ship product over night counter to counter and the client pays more than 50% less for a product than LBS.

Wholesalers supply Stock Direct to Public via LBS, pay rental for space and percentage of Turnover to LBS.

LBS owns space (better store higher Rent / Percentage) this comes from Location and Service.

LBS owns Servicing / Repair

Obviously it gets more detailed, but I have run numbers and it is a great business.

Are the Importers Interested to change NOPE

Are the LBS guys Interested to change NOPE

Edited by 101SCC

Well here is soemthing worth spitting at.

From a distributors point of view:

I would not deal through any LBS because:

1) they dont want to keep stock. they want consignment stock.

2) when they do order a few units, they want to pay on 90 - 120 days. WTF do i look like a bank.

So offcourse i will charge premium price to support your coke snorting habbits.

3) if they just order stock for a client that will come pick it up 10min after you leave, they get paid immediately by the client and still say we are SO SO SO BIG bikes hsop and will pay you on 90 days.

NO THANK YOU. i do not need the shops. I sell direct. i ship product over night counter to counter and the client pays more than 50% less for a product than LBS.

Correct, so that is why I propose my model. Importer owns / displays stock, money paid 7 days from Sale.

My logic is why stock a warehouse when you can put the product in someones hand?

Better shops make more, capitalist dream...

Correct, so that is why I propose my model. Importer owns / displays stock, money paid 7 days from Sale.

My logic is why stock a warehouse when you can put the product in someones hand?

Better shops make more, capitalist dream...

Well that is why Specialized open their own store in Melrose Arch.

Doesn't make up for their arrogance though.....

and also from rumours that they still charge alot

Hmm seems like you just disproved some other comments here, about why we pay more...import duties etc..

But you said that with the import duties and the shipping it still came out cheaper than here?

Coenie, I am sure you just got lucky and weren't charged the import duties... It does sometimes happen that customs slip up, to your benefit of course.

Great, but customers want choice.

Take tires, As an importer you want your product on shelf.

The better you display / market / build relationships with your customer and most importantly Price & Stock your product the more you sell the more you earn. Merchandising in the LBS is Shocking!

I'd love to be in a LBS that has Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin, Maxxis, Vittoria etc all lined up so I can feel, touch, choose and purchase the one that I want, not that the LBS wants to sell me. At a competitive (read NO Extra Man) Price.