Hear Rate .... how accurate

Vetseun

interesting discussion,

at 38 I see regularly over 180 when riding up hills which should be my max HR, according to 220-age, according to the more complex one it comes out at 190ish, but a couple of years ago at a HARD spinning session after a stressful day and NO food I had closer to 220.. The instructor was slightly worried when she asked everyone if we had managed to get our pulse high enough and I told her mine was between 220 and 230 (measuring pulse against a clock not a HRMonitor)

When I am on a long ride if I keep my pulse below 180-185 on hills I know I will not blowup too quickly, does that mean that equates to 90% certainly if I go above that on a ride my recovery time is much higher (i.e. no desire to ride for at least 48 hours afterwards)

Any thoughts? would be interested to know as to improve my climbing performance I really need to start doing some hill repeats etc..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where in cape town can I have controlled conditions, HR max tests done?

Edited by Capricorn

Agent - didnt read the whole tread - did you use a HRM or did you just calculate?

Reeason Im asking is this ex:

Max 200 bpm

50% is not 100bpm because you resting HR might be 60BPM

Thus: MHR - RHR = 140 BPM

The formula is (MHR - RHR) = HRR Heart rate reserve

Carvonin Formula

THR =(MHR - RHR) X % + RHR

Lets try the ex again:

MHR 200BPM

RHR 60BPM

HRR 140BPM

80% = (200 - 60) X 80% + RHR

= 140 X 80% + 60

= 112 + 60

= 172 BPM

200 BPM X 80% = 160 BPM

See the diff?

...that is what his looking for

where in cape town can I have controlled conditions, HR max tests done?

Either the Sports Science Insitutue or Stellenbosch University Biokinetics Laboratory at the GYM. I would suggest the 2nd optin simply because I have been there myself and the way they allow for a setup and the tests performed are all of a very good and accurate standard.

They perform a test which includes:

Max Heart Rate

Heart rate at Lactate threshold

Max power

Power at lactate threshold

VO2max

VO2 at lactate threshold

From all these values they will work out zones for you (although you should always work them out for yourself just to confirm).

You will also be able to see what your lactate to max heart rate and power ratios are and these are imprtant to your training as they will indicate what kind of training you wi be able to beneft from. I do suggest 2-3 test from just after base to mid season. About R500/test, but well worth the money if you consider how much you pay for components to improve your cycling. Getting accurate training is much more benficial.

A much more accurate formula is 210 minus half your age, then subtract 5% of your body weight in pounds. Add four for a male and 0 for a female. The only way to get a truly accurate max HR figure is to get a physiological test at a sport science centre, such as Fletcher Sport Science, but you can get a reasonable estimate by doing your own max HR test. Only undertake this test if you are fit and exercise regularly, though.

Warm up thoroughly for at least 15 minutes. On a long, steady hill start off fairly briskly and increase your effort every minute. Do this seated for at least five minutes until you can’t go any faster. At this point get out of the saddle and sprint as hard as you can for 15 seconds. Stop and get off the bike and immediately check your HR reading. This is your max HR.

“Don’t forget that your max HR figure is sport specific,” says Fletcher. “This means that your maximum on a bike will invariably be much lower than it is when you're running because the bike is taking some of your weight.” :thumbup:

meant to put this in last night...http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/training-heart-rate-monitor-basics-28838

Edited by GTRacing

“Don’t forget that your max HR figure is sport specific,” says Fletcher. “This means that your maximum on a bike will invariably be much lower than it is when you're running because the bike is taking some of your weight.” :thumbup:

Whoever Fletcher is, if this is true what he told you, he does not know what he is talking about. If he conducted his tests correctly he would find that max heart rate is max heart rate is max heart rate no matter what sports you do. Does not sound like a test centre I would spend my money at.

I hope you not putting wrong words in his mouth?

Edited by The_Break

Guest agteros

Whoever Fletcher is, if this is true what he told you, he does not know what he is talking about. If he conducted his tests correctly he would find that max heart rate is max heart rate is max heart rate no matter what sports you do. Does not sound like a test centre I would spend my money at.

Disagree though... With running I can take my HR higher than with road cycling. Averages over races are different as well, higher for running than for cycling. MTB HRs are somewhere in between road and running...

EDIT: Willing to be convinced otherwise with references :)

Edited by agteros

You seem like such a clever chap, why don't you share your wisdom with us? :angry:

Have to disagree with you on this one, I have done lab tests, and my Max HR for cycling is 196, while my Max HR for running is 211.

Polar will also tell you that HR values are sports specific.

Ok so I concede that I am not 100% correct as there is more to this:

Max heart rate should be defined as the absolute max your heart rate is able to go in any given situation.

Max heart rate used for training will need to be sport specific and hence Sport Specicif Max Heart Rate.

So we should then maybe distinguish between a sport specific max heart rate and a max heart rate. I.e. if you know your running max, but don't know your cycling max, then you should determine your cycling max for cycling.

We should then use the phrase Cycling Max Heart Rate in future debates. Will aid in understanding.

Apologies to Fletcher then! :blush:

Guest agteros

Polar will also tell you that HR values are sports specific.

And if I remember correctly, they state that running HRmax is ~15 more than cycling HRmax. Number seems to be confirmed by posts here, as well as personal experience.