Hear Rate .... how accurate

Vetseun

I know max is max but some people say you have a running max and a cycling max. Is there any truth in this? I could push my HR much higher running than I ever did on a bike.

This is the perception and ties in with what I said above. Running you can hit max much easier as you pretty much have high "load" when you run, which you only get when you push big power on the bike. But one thing is clear, a max heart rate is a max heart rate and is gentically set. It can vary slightly for reasons such as fitness, sickness, etc, but only by a few beats.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the perception and ties in with what I said above. Running you can hit max much easier as you pretty much have high "load" when you run, which you only get when you push big power on the bike. But one thing is clear, a max heart rate is a max heart rate and is gentically set. It can vary slightly for reasons such as fitness, sickness, etc, but only by a few beats.

So probably most cyclists (not talking pro) think their max is quite a lot lower than it really is (if they were to run or have it properly tested)

the length of interval you are doing is too short for HR to be of any use. It takes your heart up to 3 min to stabilise so any interval under that is virtually imposible to do based on HR alone. RPE maybe.... Get a powermeter, 1 min @ 500w on 200w off is easy to control with a powermeter.

So probably most cyclists (not talking pro) think their max is quite a lot lower than it really is (if they were to run or have it properly tested)

If they tested it on a bike then that may be the case. Before I got lab tested I never even got my running heart rate above 200. Not even during 5000m on the track where we went through the last 400m at a sprint of like sub 60sec.

the length of interval you are doing is too short for HR to be of any use. It takes your heart up to 3 min to stabilise so any interval under that is virtually imposible to do based on HR alone. RPE maybe.... Get a powermeter, 1 min @ 500w on 200w off is easy to control with a powermeter.

I agree with that to a certain degree and that is why Powermeters are better training tools than HRMs. HRMs can hoever be used effectively during shorter intervals if you start the intervals at an already elevated heart rate. Intervals under 90sec are almost impossible with a HRM though as yeah it does not stabilize and you are either going to hard or too soft in the first minute.

I used this one today and I now feel as if I did an interval session, you know seeing stars, wanting to puke, I really enjoyed the blood taste in my mouth.

This is closer to what I think my max may be at the moment

A quick update,I used river rats formula. Man did I suffer like a dog. Nearly passed out, nearly puked , blood taste in mouth. Thanks for all the inputs guys.

A quick update,I used river rats formula. Man did I suffer like a dog. Nearly passed out, nearly puked , blood taste in mouth. Thanks for all the inputs guys.

River Rats formula is 10 beats off for me. On the low side. That means if I use it I will be under training. I really suggest doing an accurate test if you can afford it if you are serious about training.

Where are you based?

Hey Agent glad I could help you suffer. :blink: How perverted is that? :huh:

When he pisses blood you will have done your job :lol:

Shot River Rat, rather suffer now and dish out the suffering when it really counts.

I see you managed to feel your intervals a bit :clap:

I tried all the formulas and there is 5bpm(probably 2%) gap between the biggest and smallest so I can live with that. Just on a side note, someone mentioned that the intervals you are doing are too short, I tend to agree, it takes time for your HR to stabilize(30sec-1minute for me) at a certain level so you might wanna look into it, that is what makes a powertap so great, no lag.

Anyway good luck