Cadence on a MTB?

mark ellis

MTB riders, do you use a cadence meter? I got one with my 705 but have never seen other mtb's using them, why?

Used to use it but with all the different terrain we come across its not really any use to me to tell me Im 120 revs going 2kph up a 21% hill :blink:

Offroad it's hard to maintain a constant cadence, so you can't really use cadence as a guide to how efficiently you are riding.

Used to use it but with all the different terrain we come across its not really any use to me to tell me Im 120 revs going 2kph up a 21% hill :blink:

Haha :lol: true, know the feeling ;)

Guest agteros

Cadence going up Breedts showing speed dropping, spinning legs like a crazy thing trying not to stand still :blush:

I have a tendency to push too big a gear so I like to sue it to make sure I don't, but thats just a glance on the screen, not riding according to it or bothered with it when I download the data

Offroad it's hard to maintain a constant cadence, so you can't really use cadence as a guide to how efficiently you are riding.

Plus One... :blink:

For training I'm undecided on what is more important: Cadence or HRM

But for the trail, I don't have time to check my cadence

i reckon HRM. Would give you a decent indication of if you are pedalling to much :lol:

Ya my garmin cadence sensor seems to have died on me, replaced the battery but no joy

Same here...

Did some research about it - plenty of complaints about how poorly they are made, given its location on the bike...

I was initially thinking of replacing mine - but not going to bother. I'm happy to have HR - and whereas cadence interested me initially, it was probably the novelty of it...

On a slightly seperate point - at least the cadence/speed unit gave one an instant accurate reading of one's speed - which was more useful. Without it, speed is measured by satellite, no?

The cadence sensor is handy when you start out but later on you get use to a 85/90 cadence. I only use mine when I do high cadence workouts and to ensure that I dont push to hard early on in a ride/race. If I go below a cadence of 85 I usually drop a gear just to make sure.