Saddles: your advice

werner J

Hi Gents, please give me your advice to steer me in the right direction.

I am doing the epic and love to be on the bike for long hours. I have been on harder saddles and I seem to be ok as long as the saddle fit my bum (you know what I mean.)

I need some advice on saddles that is lightweight yet strong enough to face external beatings like on the epic. I weigh 82kg.

This one shop in town really backs specialized saddles. (even though they do sell fizik.)

Please speak up. If you can, provide the weight of your saddle choice aswell and your experience on it. (Off course its my responsibility to buy the right size for personal fitting purposes.)

Werner

saddles are a funny one you basically have to try them till you find one that works for you, I know a couple of guys on spez saddles that switched to fizik gobi's and are very happy with them. I have a gobi myself but i dont spend too much time in the saddle, 3 hours on avg, but very comfortable for those periods. Should be fine once i am fit enough to ride longer.

Like Covie said, very very very personal choice.

For me, selle italia is the way forward. The cut out relieves alot of pressure and they have MTB specific saddles which have alot more cushioning than the wooden plank road saddles.

Like covie says, it's a personal thing, Spez Phenom 143 works for me, might not for you. I know the spez concept stores allow you to demo a saddle for a ride or two and they also have the ass-o-meter in their shops so you can at least eliminate the size guess.

I'm a fan of the selle italia SLR XC Gel Flow, have done 5 hour rides with cape storm shorts no issues, but then again Epic will be double that and you are heavier, think the SL will give better padding. But its very personal, allot of okes swear by gobis and I hate it.

I think you need to also ensure you have more than one pair of bib that fits like a glove, it costs but I think Assos is your friend here, you cant put a price on being free of saddle sores :thumbup: ALso its allot of time/money/effort to do this race, you wana finish in comfort

A safe departure point would be a fizik Gobi. I have tries quite a few different (lighter saddles). Most of them are fine for up to 3 hr rides. I used my Gobi for Cape Pioneer last year and was so glad I did. To me it is the most comfortable of all the saddles I've tried.

Something to think about for the Epic: I've never heard someone complain about a saddle that was TOO eavy after a very long ride.