When to service shocks??

Monark

Hi

I purchased my Anthem X in August 2009 and have never serviced the shocks (both front (Rockshox Recon SL) and rear (Fox RP)).

This weekend I overheard someone saying that they ought to be serviced every 1500km??

I have done 2000km...

Advice?

PS: Good to Go Cycles in Durban can service both for around R1000...

It is supposed to go according to hours ridden. I don't know the exact figures but they should be sent in for a seal service every 100 hours I think, they should also change the oil around that time.

Want my advice?

Don't service them till they start feeling like they need a service. With my last bike the LBS suggested a shock service, so I sheepishly agreed and ever since that day I had to send them in every 3 months because some new problem arose. To be honest you're better off learning to do it yourself !

*rant off*

:)

Anthem X0 (RP23)

It depends on the terrain (wet or dry) but I do a rear shock air sleeve service every 4 months (dry) (by that time, if you're sensitive to those things, you'll feel that the rear end becomes a bit stiffer) I also have a neoprene boot covering the rear shock.

Fork: Sid Race: With everyday riding, I HAVE to do a foamring service once a month (about 60 hours - offroad riding only) OR after a 24hr race or muddy race (try not to ride in mud) I drip a drop of oil (castrol BOT 402) on the wipers before every ride and cycle the fork, that lifts the dust that sat on the wiper edge. I wipe off with a cloth or old sock. After filling foamrings and open bath oil, it takes about 50-60 hours of riding before the foamring oil works down into the open bath and this results in a little more stiction.

I do 2 of the same bikes like this, they're 7 months old now and the forks are buttery smooth, better than when they were new and if taking off the lowers about every 50 hours, you'll get rid of dust that passed the wipers soon enough before it can do real damage to the stanchoins, because dust DO pass the OEM wipers, and don't even go near the Enduro Forkseal's wipers on a SID - they are nice looking, wipes properly, but with no foam ring, they need CONSTANT lubrication at least every 40km and in a long race like Trans Baviaans, where we had them in both our forks, the fork will become stiff and sticky after 100km or so... bad idea...

I do a damper service once a year (front and rear), but to have a fork last long, it needs to be clean and lubricated where the friction is. With the right tools, it shouldn't take more than 30 mins to take off the lowers, clean, relube etc.

I use Castrol BOT 402 (SAE 75-85) in the RP23's airsleeve, in the SID's airsleeve, in the Sid's open bath, in the foamrings. Fully synthetic. Works perfectly.

I wan't to add that 90% of folks fork that I feel, feel like crap and they don't even know it because the've long forgotten how it was sliding on that very first ride. I invite anyone to come and feel my fork at any time, I'm always floating on air... no stiction... buttery smooth...

Edited by Brighter-Lights

Thanks guys.

I have noticed that the shocks do feel a little "lumpy" and have "hardened up" a little.

I guess that it is time for a shock service. :thumbdown:

I look after the bike very well but you learn every day. To be honest, I had no idea that you need to service shocks! :huh:

Now I do... ;)

brighter lights interesting comment on the enduro wipers. I have had them and have exactly the same issue 2 rides max and then stiction becomes a big issue...I did manage to retro fit with a foam ring and the enduro seals... slightly better: three rides and then stiction. I went back to OEM seals too. they let through a bit more gunk, but are much smoother.

To the original poster...learn to do it yourself, it's not hard, the oil is readily available (I use belray fork oil of the correct viscosity from the local motorbike shop) it takes me 20 minutes max to do a seal service as per brighter lights...my fork is buttery smooth too!

Thanks guys.

I have noticed that the shocks do feel a little "lumpy" and have "hardened up" a little.

I look after the bike very well but you learn every day. To be honest, I had no idea that you need to service shocks! :huh:

Now I do... ;)

Now you do indeed. :thumbup:

If you are not able to service them yourself (service kits can be bought through your LBS) then make sure that you have them serviced by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good 2 Go are good. Just make sure that they use genuine RockShox wipers on the FORK and not generics (generics usually a sick blue colour)

If you phone in for a quotation make sure that you let them know that you require a FORK and a SHOCK service, they are different items, at different costs.

(but we shall not begin that conversation again :lol: )

Whilst you are at it - CHECK YOUR PIVOTS AND PIVOT BEARINGS ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remove your SHOCK (rear) and then holding your bike at the saddle move it gently and slowly up and down. You should feel no roughness or looseness in the frame. The pivot points should move smoothly with no 'cracking' sounds.

Seized or loose pivots are the main cause of cracked and damaged frames. At 1500km they will likely need checking anyway, as the bearings will not be in good shape. The price of a couple of bearings versus a frame? PRICELESS

Now you do indeed. :thumbup:

If you are not able to service them yourself (service kits can be bought through your LBS) then make sure that you have them serviced by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good 2 Go are good. Just make sure that they use genuine RockShox wipers on the FORK and not generics (generics usually a sick blue colour)

If you phone in for a quotation make sure that you let them know that you require a FORK and a SHOCK service, they are different items, at different costs.

(but we shall not begin that conversation again :lol: )

Whilst you are at it - CHECK YOUR PIVOTS AND PIVOT BEARINGS ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remove your SHOCK (rear) and then holding your bike at the saddle move it gently and slowly up and down. You should feel no roughness or looseness in the frame. The pivot points should move smoothly with no 'cracking' sounds.

Seized or loose pivots are the main cause of cracked and damaged frames. At 1500km they will likely need checking anyway, as the bearings will not be in good shape. The price of a couple of bearings versus a frame? PRICELESS

Just check with warrenties before getting Good2Go to do a fork/shock service.

Thanks guys.

Now I do... ;)

Servicing your shocks before a problem develops is normally a lot cheaper than trying to get them fixed after a problem develops. So even though all shocks differ riding conditions differ mileage etc. I just take my bike for a full service including pivots, front and rear shock twice a year.

Apologies for the hi-jack: :blush:

Any approximate turn-over times for a service on a Fox fork these days - if you take it in to a LBS down here in the WC, how long will you be out of action for, more or less?

Brighter-lights - the neoprene shock cover you use, where did you get it - or did you simply fashion something yourself?

Hi-jack off