Shimano with Sram?

Schnavel

Hi guys and girls

I'm pretty sure that Sram X9 shifters will work with xt Front and Rear Deraliurs, but could I just get some advice on this? Obviously both have to be 9 speed in order to work...

Will work with the front derailler but not the back. The SRAM rear shifter pulls more cable per click than the shimano ones do.

Will work with the front derailler but not the back. The SRAM rear shifter pulls more cable per click than the shimano ones do.

HUH, are you sure...then you will not be able to use a Sram cluster with Shimano RD? Lost of Bikes are sold like that.

Front yes, rear no...

As per flemming...

I still disagree....why not? I had Sram shiffters with XT RD.

One click move the RD to the next gear on the cluster and if that cluster gear are x mm apart, it should not matter if you use Sram or Shimano

Johaaannnnnn help....

Edited by coenie

There seem to be mixed opinions... Is there anyone who has tried this or a similar combination, or knows for certain that the x9 shifters will not work with the xt RD?

HUH, are you sure...then you will not be able to use a Sram cluster with Shimano RD? Lost of Bikes are sold like that.

Cluster is irrelevant in this scenario.

Just the RD shifter isn't compatible. They have different actuation ratios

One click move the RD to the next gear on the cluster and if that cluster gear are x mm apart, it should not matter if you use Sram or Shimano

Johaaannnnnn help....

Just to clear things up, you do get Sram shifters, think they are called Rockets, thats compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs.

One click is indeed 1 gear. But the difference is that the Sram shifters pull the cable 5mm and the changers moves 5mm to the next gear. With Shimano it pulls it 10mm and the changers moves 5mm, or something in that line. Sram is 1:1 and Shiman is 2:1.

Cluster is irrelevant in this scenario.

Just the RD shifter isn't compatible. They have different actuation ratios

Thanks Mamps, now I understand better...I must have been lucky that mine worked.

:thumbup:

Hi,

While we are on the topic of using the two brands in on configuration. What is your feel with regards to SRAM chains with Shimano cassette and chain rings? I have a Shimano cassette and want to use a SRAM chain.

Regards

C.

Hi,

While we are on the topic of using the two brands in on configuration. What is your feel with regards to SRAM chains with Shimano cassette and chain rings? I have a Shimano cassette and want to use a SRAM chain.

Regards

C.

no problem with that

Hi,

Regards

C.

Will work...just remember lighter often means less durable so you need to find a good balance of everything with the consumables.

Johaaannnnnn help....

Coenie. SRAM ATTACKS work with Shimano front and rear, the actuation ratio is 2:1 as per Shimano.

What model shifters were you running there?

Unless they have relaesed new ones recently they are the only ones I know that will work.

Nice strong Shifters as well.

Thanks Mamps, now I understand better...I must have been lucky that mine worked.

:thumbup:

Dude you did not have sram x9 shifters as the actuation ratio is 1:1 you must have had one of the following shifters:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/sram-attack-9-spd-trigger-shifters

or

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/sram-rocket-9-spd-trigger-shifters

u cant use sram shifters with an actuation ratio of 1:1 with a shimano RD its like mating a chicken and a dog..they are just not compatible only shimano FD's are compatible with both sram and shimano..the cassettes have nothing to do with the rd actuation ratio so they are interchangable.

Edited by MattyG

Thanks guys, now I just have to get hold of some new shifters... Anyone selling either XT or XTR shifters?