ICE ID vs Sweat Safe- Information thread/poll

Lukep

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer ICE ID or Sweat Safe and why?

• ICE ID
    • Sweat safe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the ICE ID normal wrist band. I am not a jewelry girl so i wear this all the time. Feel naked now without it :unsure:

Also a Helivac member and have the details of that on my ICE.

was quite interesting reading the reactions to sunday's tokai fatality.

on thehubsa there was a whole clamour to get ICE ID

on warthogs there was a discussion on being cautious with heart conditions and not using relative youth as an excuse not to get preventative testing.

the latter might have helped, but the former is definitely not the magic bullet to cure all.

personally i am a little sceptical on ICE ID and sweatsafe. I haven't really looked into them because i don't see what they offer over a piece of paper in a bankbag or just an ICE contact on your phone(or my discovery/med aid number). and they charge you R175 for a service that has been around for yonks (remember medic alert dog tag bracelets?). feel free to educate me otherwise.

i am not saying that it is not a good idea, but it would have been as effective as a powerbalance bangle on sunday (just didn't want to say it in that thread).

the ice thing is a once off amount....I have the ICE ID bandage....way more convenient than always having to carry paper around...

SteveCT, your comments are valid but the whole value on the ICEID is that paramedics are trained to look for certain ICE identifaction things first.

Like a helmet, the bracelet is not the cure all but it might be the one thing that saved your life.

Peronsally I've got ICE on my phone, carry my medical aid card in the backpack and busy making stickers for the bike frame - the ICE ID will be next

ICE ID-When I broke 11 ribs and punctured my lung it spoke for me. Ambulance driver wanted to take me to a state hospital ,but luckily the paramedic saw the bracelet and my medical aid info and took me to Netcare.

I cannot comment on sweat safe?

Seems to me that ICE ID is the most popular.

I personally have the Sweat Safe band,

Essentially both are the same thing

But with the hosptials being the way they are with regards to confirming that you have medical aid and that you are a paid up valid memeber with and ICE ID tag they will still call your medical aid to confirm that you are a valid memeber of that medical aid. For example I buy and ICE ID tag now and in 3 months I cancel my medical aid, my medical aid number would still be on the ICE ID tag, so the tag is not up to date,

But with the Sweat Safe I am paying monthly for cover that ensures that I will go to a private hosptial and be air lifted etc etc even though I do have a medical aid, it just take away the need to confirm before deciiding where to take me.

I like the ICE-ID as the information is available. The perfect setup would be the combination of the two as we have discovered when going to even our local hospital that they do not pull files on patients - you need to supply all the info.

I mentioned on the previous thread that I wear an ICE ID bracelet. On New Years Day, I came down big time while training in the Cradle.

I was not able to provide any details as I was unconscious for a time and pretty gaga after that.

I carry three forms of ID on me.

1. My ICE ID wrist bracelet

2. My ER24 band around my seatpost

3. A small aluminium barrel with full medical and contact details attached to my key ring. You can get these at Sportsmans Warehouse.

ICE ID was used by those on scene. The other two were not used. ER24 remained attached to the seat post, the aluminium barrel was unopened.

The ICE ID was so obvious, no one had to look any further. But there were still 2 backups.

The critical thing was that my medical aid number was visible immediately ensuring that I was admitted to Sunninghill emergency without any hassle.

I believe that a critical element to this is the elimination of human involvement in the availability of the information. Calling a number requires a phone, the person on the other end to be competent, the computer to be online, the availability of pen and paper etc.

ICE ID addresses all those issues.

I think you cannot differntiate between the two and that they have to be seen as a compliment to each other.

Seriously, for the cost of R160 the ICE ID is the best money spent. It is durable, i wear it day in and day out, spin with it, cycle with it, drive with it, walk with it, swim with it... It is right there on your arm instead of in a back pack. If you have neck or back injuries, they will not move you in order to go scratching through a bag on your back as it is too risky. Something on the arm is right there and even if you get mugged whilst laying half dead on the roadside, i hope the crooks are not so low as to steal a material band off your arm but they will take a phone, drivers license etc.

eish :unsure:

Ja picked it up with my bibs and top, you have to supply all you medical aid details, ICE contact person and numbers + medical aid details. They then give you a red ER24 band with the ER24 emergency no on it + your unique number on the inside, so I guess in an emergency they dial the ER24 no and give your unique no a reference to the despatch unit...speculating here haven't used it yet :D

btw I am a member at the fourways club.

I have to follow that up with them then....btw, I am from the CT club, Westlake (my girlfriends mom entered me there)..nice to meet a fellow club rider :)

Isn't Sweatsafe part of a broader insurance product, while ICEID is just a form of identification?

I have an ICEID dogtag that I only ever take off while I sleep.

Based on the monthly cost - I would assume that.

Sweatsafe makes more sense if you dont have a comprehensive medical aid plan...

Ice ID for me - and yeah - it is rather pricey for just an ID tag!

I think you cannot differntiate between the two and that they have to be seen as a compliment to each other.

Actually I was thinking if it was not also worth having your SweatSafe number on your ICE-ID?

Actually I was thinking if it was not also worth having your SweatSafe number on your ICE-ID?

Good idea I recon thsi is what I am going to do