Giant Paint qaulity

iRob

I have a Giant Anthem for two years now and have not had a problem with paint work. Cable rub is a managable issue and does start after your first long ride.So after 5 months if not protected it can get pretty hectic. I stand to be corrected but in the case of a warranty claim Dragons will only deal with the LBS and not straight to the public. If you want to buy a giant you have to go through one of there dealers. Time for your LBS to step up to the plate.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cracked a Giant Atx 840 long ago, they replaced it for free with a newer model....but then it got stolen like 8months later out of the house :(

Flip those where hot bikes! I've had a few Giants: Beaut (think this is what it was called) - stolen, ATX 760 (with stem shock!) - sold, ATX 780 - stolen, ATX 870 - STOLEN (I was allowed to take this bike to school on Fridays ;-) ), Iguana (at this point my dad got over buying $$$ bikes for the kids) - Stolen but recovered, wiped out then couldn't get a shock so it became a rigid, Yukon SE - Stolen, Boulder - all vrot now, Boulder again - my dad reclaimed it, Boulder SE - gave it to my uncle, ANTHEM X2 (started to get serious now with earning a proper salary) - LOVE IT - paint issues, and last but not least my latest project a 1991 Giant Boulder with which I plan on doing my first Argus!

Hi

This is going to sound silly, but when I get a new bike the first thin I do is give the frame a really good coat of polish with a good quality car polish. I believe this goes a long way in protecting the paint work.

I normally re-polish every 6 months. I have owned two giants and have never had any issues with the paint work.

lol, yea these bloody bike thiefes...I must admit they sure have good taste!!

I had a Diamond Back Topanga, RST shock....was the bike when it came out, was like R6000 when I was 11 I got it, then they stole it also with my brothers Gary Fischer...out of the house.....got a Mongoose Villain bmx(same as Dave Mirra used at Xgames) stole it at my school a month after my Diamond Back got stolen, they cut those big wire locks off....but recovered it with broken brake lever an some ugly scratches....then stole my Giant when i was 15....only got a mtb 3 years ago for fooling around again (Giant Alias) when I was 20 :P

I suggest that you start to email your LBS and copy in the guys from Dragons (get their details on the net)! My Anthem X has been put through hell and yeah the paint has a few chips :blush: but it still looks hundreds! :clap:

Dont let your LBS avoid liability...

I've tried the LBS route. I think I'll speak to Dragons directly now. The LBS owner also cc'd me in on the emails and thier initial reply. He says if I do it privately I should get a + response from Dragons.

Most of the pictures that you have shown seem to be on the bottom half of your bike (around the chain area). The one picture you can clearly see that the clear coat is coming off.

What sort of chain cleaner do you use? I’m not sure of the correct terminology, but certain solvents (I think that is the term), eat through paint. Is it possible that you have splashed some of your chain degreaser on to the frame and it has eaten through the top layer (the clear coat) and is exposing the decals?

I did a really dumb thing a few years ago, there was some really tough dirt on the top of my seat stay and I used a type of thinners to clean it. It ate right through the clear coat, exactly as shown in your one picture. Luckily, there were no decals there and it was not too apparent on the white frame.

I agree ,could have taken more photos of the paint itself - I was just not keen to move the FD and have to re-adjust my gears 2 days before Attakwas, and also risk chipping it off further. I do use engine degreaser, but only on the chain, when its actually off the bike, so it barely comes into contact with the paint, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Ok, so Giant says this:

"*****

Op die oomlik is hierdie die beste match wat ek het vir jou klient se raam. Die main frame is R 3000 en as hy die pivots ook wil doen sal ek 'n effe gebruikte stel moet aansit. R 600 vir bo en onder saam.

Laat maat weet.

Thanks

****"

OK.... So no frame replacement or even considering the re-spray? AND they want me to spend R600 for a a set of USED pivots.

The silver frame in the pictue is the one they want me to ay R3000 for. What happens to my old frame then? Its also not even the complete frame, but only the front triangle.

Jo guys, i'm sad about this. Really sad. It looks as if they are not going to do anything at all.

Send your frame to Cycleart and let them do a custom job on it.

Is that email from Dragon?

Yes it is. I'm really bleak man.

jip.

First they said they'd do a front triangle replacement under warranty, or respray. Now this is the offer.

jip.

First they said they'd do a front triangle replacement under warranty, or respray. Now this is the offer.

So they have gone back on their word? :unsure: