Giant Paint qaulity

iRob

Why would it come off in certain places and not in others?

Also, places where there was no tape - near the FD?

Does my frame still carry a structural warranty as was promised by Gert when I saw him on Friday? I asked him if anything structurally happesn to this frame, if it would still be covered and he promised me yes. I'm beginning to worry that may also be revoked for some reason.

If it is an issue with the use of the clear tape, how much and in what areas are cyclists allowed to use it so that they can protect the frames againgst cable chaff etc?

I would like this in writing from Dragons please.

You guys have my email address and phone number, please contact me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

iRob get hold of James at Dragons and chat with him and maybe you guys can come to some sought of a compromise.As long as you keep this going on a public forum i don't think that they will budge.See if you can't get them to cover 50% of the re spray ;)

He says they can have the head tube resprayed for me, to include a vinyl decal, as opposed to a digital decal, and then clear coat it.

I have a three week old Anthem X1 29er that has clear coat coming off from the decals and after reading this thread I am starting to question the paint quality of Giant!!! Will take this up with the LBS tomorrow.

iRob get hold of James at Dragons and chat with him and maybe you guys can come to some sought of a compromise.As long as you keep this going on a public forum i don't think that they will budge.See if you can't get them to cover 50% of the re spray ;)

Dragons have said that they will have the frame "repaired". This includes having the frame sent to someone, I have asked for referral or previous work before making up my mind on that, to have the head tube sanded down, the paint matched, a vinyl decal ut on, and re-clearcoated.

It all seems way too intrusive, and Dragons does not guarantee the quality of the work done, nor could any examples of revious work be supplied. I am sceptical as it might end up looking worse, and that the paint will not be matched and then I sit with a horrible repair job. Its something I'm mulling over. It is a cool option, but it needs to have an assurance of workmanship, kind of like what you expect the orginial paint work to be like when you buy a R20k bike from someone you have supported and been loyal to for ages.

I reckon i'll just get a "don't worry be happy sticker" and paste is over the head tube in the area of the crappy paint work. Provided my frame will still retain its factory structural warranty...

I have a three week old Anthem X1 29er that has clear coat coming off from the decals and after reading this thread I am starting to question the paint quality of Giant!!! Will take this up with the LBS tomorrow.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not the only flippin person experiencing this!!!!!!

PLEASE keep us all updated on what happens! I'm really keen to see what Dragons will say to you.

To fix that head tube is half a days work for someone who know what they are doing.

1. Remove tape
  2. Sand down clear and decal and light sand rest of the frame
  3. Mask in new black strips and spray (rattle can will work 100%)
  4. Mask in white name and spray (rattle can will work 100%)
  5. clear coat whole bike professionally with 2k paint

Post on MTBR.com too... why are you just accepting it... fight them... I've had 3 Anthems and I love Giant and never has any paint flaked underneath all the diff. kinds of stickers and tape I've used. Read my earlier post. No paint should flake by applying tape... not even when left in the sun... the tape will crack long before the paint...

To fix that head tube is half a days work for someone who know what they are doing.

1. Remove tape
  2. Sand down clear and decal and light sand rest of the frame
  3. Mask in new black strips and spray (rattle can will work 100%)
  4. Mask in white name and spray (rattle can will work 100%)
  5. clear coat whole bike professionally with 2k paint

Of that I have little/no assurance.

the option to get a quote and have this doe by someone I trust is of little relevance to me; I don't anyone who does this sort of this, nor anyone who has had it have to go down that route... mostly the company apologises profusely and replaces the frame.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not the only flippin person experiencing this!!!!!!

PLEASE keep us all updated on what happens! I'm really keen to see what Dragons will say to you.

Will do.

The paint chips off very easily and there are patches of clear coat coming off right on top of the decals. Very flipping p$issed off as it is a new bike!

Think giant needs to do some quality control - and thanks to all the hubbers for opening a can of worms!

... mostly the company apologises profusely and replaces the frame.

And they should if it happens within the 1st year. I don't know why paint only carries a 1 year warranty. Surely it must last as long as the frame does.

Dragons has now emailed me saying they will do nothing further and are sending my bike backt to the bike shop. WTF?

I can't believe that they still cant see that their is a problem, take it too someone independent to look at. The small claims court can be used as a last resort, with someone else coming forward with what looks to be a similar problem, your case could have a good chance.

I would love to know why the clear coat & paint is peeling off in other places as well, are they paint experts?

Edited by Caerus

Dragons has now emailed me saying they will do nothing further and are sending my bike backt to the bike shop. WTF?

Take it to the Giant Head Office overseas. If they just sorted out our problems then they would have customers for life, but instead they turn you away...... :thumbdown:

Dear Dragon Sports

If you are reading this, just do the right thing and do a warantee replacement.

If I give you the benefit of the doubt and concede that this may be a one off blemish on a otherwise reputable brand, you do your brand no favours by showing that your after sales service sucks.

It makes me think twice about buying a Giant bike.

Do the right thing and replace the hubbers frame.

cut cut cut

It makes me think twice about buying a Giant bike.

cut cut cut

Or mavic...or santa cruz for that matter.