Used bike dealers

Edge_Design

Very random sort of rant:-

This is a shop/dealer that has always fascinated me...

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-CERVELO-T25L-TIME-TRIAL-RAOD-BIKE-W0QQAdIdZ255246588

Mainly because my stolen bike and at least 3 others have ended up with him back when his shop still ran from his garage so I've always watched his ads out of interest.

I am sure the above is a complete coincidence so no accusations here (just to clarify)! How do you buy and sell bikes if you know so little about them that you are selling a Cervelo T25L TT bike?!?! They don't print the model on the frame just for the fun of it! How do you know how much to pay for them? How does the previous owner/seller not know what the bike he owned is, surely you walk in and say "hey, I have a p2-sl I'd like to sell..."?

If you look at any higher end bikes advertised on gumtree by the shop (none right now to use as an example), you will see that they never have an original spec or matching parts on them. There will be a mix of components with low end wheels on a nice frame with a cheap fork with the wrong length steerer etc. Most of the time the stems are upside down and the handlebars at the wrong angle too...

This is more of a story that I just felt the need of posting than anything else as it really bothers me, but next time you're in the market for a new bike coz your pride and joy has disappeared without your consent, it might be worth looking at their stock.

I suppose the alternative view is that you advertise it as a T25L so that anyone who searches for a P2-SL in google won't find the ad (one of the stolen bikes found there was coincidentally advertised as a large when it was actually a medium or something along those lines).

As a disclaimer, I am not accusing anyone of anything here, just expressing possible scenarios and things that I find unconventional to raise some awareness of what you could look out for. If your bike is ever stolen, look for bits and pieces, not the complete bike.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez dude! You sure are walking in a minefiled here. Maybe you should think about deleting this as this may border on deformation of character/business.

Don't know anything abouut these guys, but just saying for your own sake. Had something similar happen to me once and the experience is not cool even though youu may not be in the wrong. A letter from a lawyer and a court date is way unpleasant.

Geez dude! You sure are walking in a minefiled here. Maybe you should think about deleting this as this may border on deformation of character/business.

Don't know anything abouut these guys, but just saying for your own sake. Had something similar happen to me once and the experience is not cool even though youu may not be in the wrong. A letter from a lawyer and a court date is way unpleasant.

All I am saying is how do you deal in used bikes if you don't know anything about them? The rest is all just fluff (and completely factual)

yeah i`ve also always wondered where he's getting his stock from...he's been around for about 3 years at least, and always have loads of bikes on gumtree.

I suspect if there was any dodgy business from his side it would've come out by now as he has been openly trading for so long...

I have actually spoken to Neil way back when, when I was interested in a bike and he seems like a nice guy....but as you say he doesn't appear to know that much about bike specs etc (and he probably doesn't ask too many questions from his suppliers)!

All I am saying is how do you deal in used bikes if you don't know anything about them? The rest is all just fluff (and completely factual)

I agree with you completely. I have looked at what this company sells, with utter disbelief. NEVER have I seen a bike sold here with one complete groupset. His pricing seems WAY off and I cant even begin to tell you how many times I have read the headline... "Full Carbon" only to discover, Carbon Stays and Fork on a Alumium Frame..... Little confusing to say the least.

Not agreeing in the full extent of yoru original post....... I wouldnt know anything about that :o

Very random sort of rant:-

This is a shop/dealer that has always fascinated me...

http://capetown.gumt...QAdIdZ255246588

Mainly because my stolen bike and at least 3 others have ended up with him back when his shop still ran from his garage so I've always watched his ads out of interest.

I am sure the above is a complete coincidence so no accusations here (just to clarify)! How do you buy and sell bikes if you know so little about them that you are selling a Cervelo T25L TT bike?!?! They don't print the model on the frame just for the fun of it! How do you know how much to pay for them? How does the previous owner/seller not know what the bike he owned is, surely you walk in and say "hey, I have a p2-sl I'd like to sell..."?

If you look at any higher end bikes advertised on gumtree by the shop (none right now to use as an example), you will see that they never have an original spec or matching parts on them. There will be a mix of components with low end wheels on a nice frame with a cheap fork with the wrong length steerer etc. Most of the time the stems are upside down and the handlebars at the wrong angle too...

This is more of a story that I just felt the need of posting than anything else as it really bothers me, but next time you're in the market for a new bike coz your pride and joy has disappeared without your consent, it might be worth looking at their stock.

I suppose the alternative view is that you advertise it as a T25L so that anyone who searches for a P2-SL in google won't find the ad (one of the stolen bikes found there was coincidentally advertised as a large when it was actually a medium or something along those lines).

As a disclaimer, I am not accusing anyone of anything here, just expressing possible scenarios and things that I find unconventional to raise some awareness of what you could look out for. If your bike is ever stolen, look for bits and pieces, not the complete bike.

hectic post dude, :o

Will dubious suppliers is all part 'n parcel of the second hand trade - I use to be a buyer for Cash Converters so I know all about it. I would just like to know if Neil is a registered second hand dealer and if he keeps the required register as per law?

Will dubious suppliers is all part 'n parcel of the second hand trade - I use to be a buyer for Cash Converters so I know all about it. I would just like to know if Neil is a registered second hand dealer and if he keeps the required register as per law?

Recon more than half the okes on the Hub need a required register

Recon more than half the okes on the Hub need a required register

Let me just rephrase that, not that I am saying half the okes on the hub deal with stolen goods. Thats not true. What I mean is that most of us love buying and then selling things again. :D

BUT YOU ARE........ BLATANTLY ACTUALLY

I believe the phrase would be something like:

An accusationable inuendo.

Yes my stolen Santa Cruz also ended up with him

So what happended, did u get your bike back or report the matter?

I understand Edge_design frustration but it becomes a little diffult to prove that some shop/person is selling stolen goods.

Onus is on the person accusing whoever to come forward with the evidence.

I would just be careful not to name individuals or shops.

Hey I know Neil and he is a good guy...

He deals in second hand bikes so I guess there are defnitely going to be scenarios where dubious goods are brought in, I hear your point edge design you want to know how he vets if the bikes are stolen or clean?

Dont know personally but believe Neil is a standup guy so I am sure he would give you that detail if you asked him.

I am sure he work like all 2nd hand dealers...take down the guys details, id,etc...so in a case a stolen bike is found police goes in, he gives the police the guys details and they handle it further...in this way he can't be blamed as he just sells the bikes :)

When I found my stolen bike, police arrested the guy a few kilometres from my school where it was stolen...cause he had to give all his details to the pawn shop

Bikes are being stolen. People are getting hijacked at gunpoint. Within my social circle two hijackings and one shot through the neck. If someone is selling mixed up component bikes (the best way to avoid investigation and recovery) then I want to know more.

(P.S. With all due respect Spat being a 'stand up guy' is not mutually exclusive to being a criminal.)

Edit: grammar

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling