carbon v aliminium

zonker

would you rather have an aliminium frame with better components or a carbon frame with not so good components?

I would rather have a good alu frame than an average carbon one.

As for the parts, I will take the best frame ( either alu or carbon ) no matter what the parts, and as the parts wear out I will replace them with good gear.

My current bike has an alu frame with a carbon rear triangle, so best of both worlds for me. Looks like this:

post-19724-0-10428800-1295638737.jpg

Edited by sputnik-f1

If you are a nutter Alu frame with good components... a little heavier but no worries about throwing the bike around especially in the rough stuff :thumbup:

Edited by Paulst12

I would rather have a well designed frame that is well manufactured and has a good street rep and handles well.

The material it is made of is irrelevant.

Been through two carbon frames...too much worry if you ask me, thinking about every ding and scratch...life's too short. Give me an alu frame anyday. Rides a little harder but i'm now riding an alu frame that is as light as my carbon and its gotta be the way forward at a fraction of the price for a frame. Plus you can get it welded or repaired without huge expense, x-rays and never quite trusting it again when you catch some air and don't quite touch down right. Go good quality Alu.

Put it this way...1 decent carbon frame R10k lasts 2 years...

One good alu frame R3k lasts the same amount of time probably longer or you can buy three frames for the same cash or inevitably plug it into getting better components.

Road - carbon because it's easier (read: cheaper) to make a lightweight carbon frame.

MTB - Alu. Offroad I don't want to be worrying about bashing the frame.

Been through two carbon frames...too much worry if you ask me, thinking about every ding and scratch...life's too short. Give me an alu frame anyday. Rides a little harder but i'm now riding an alu frame that is as light as my carbon and its gotta be the way forward at a fraction of the price for a frame. Plus you can get it welded or repaired without huge expense, x-rays and never quite trusting it again when you catch some air and don't quite touch down right. Go good quality Alu.

Put it this way...1 decent carbon frame R10k lasts 2 years...

One good alu frame R3k lasts the same amount of time probably longer or you can buy three frames for the same cash or inevitably plug it into getting better components.

Are you breaking the Alu frames that they only last 2 years?

Road - carbon because it's easier (read: cheaper) to make a lightweight carbon frame.

Don't write off a good aluminium road bike. :thumbup:

(The weight of a Cannondale CAAD10 aluminium frame is 1150 grams, Pinarello Dogma full carbon is 1156 grams, both size 56/57)

If I had to buy a road frame today, it would be a CAAD10.

ali all the way...

i recently wrote off my ali very cheap frame. it had lasted 7 years of abuse. including 2 car accidents.

dont think some how the fragile carbons would have survived.....

Are you breaking the Alu frames that they only last 2 years?

Never broken an alu frame so i have no idea how long they last...definately in the region of 5 years...without the new bike temptation

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather have a well designed frame that is well manufactured and has a good street rep and handles well.

The material it is made of is irrelevant.

+1 ;)

Real men ride metal MTB's!

So if real men ride metal mountain bike then I suppose most rich guys are not real men?

So if real men ride metal mountain bike then I suppose most rich guys are not real men?

Dunno... Have you seen the cars and bikes and houses some of these really rich dudes have, then you think maybe they're compensating for something?

I know, I run a ball shaving shack, but I am sworn to secrecy...

MTB - Alu. Offroad I don't want to be worrying about bashing the frame.

110% AGREE, R3SL

Until I can afford a Trail Carbon Dualie...yes :P