Edgemead morning training

ccc2

a group of road cyclists from the Edgemead/Bothasig/Monte Vista area will be meeting at the BP Service station in Letchworth Drive at 5.00am every Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday mornings.

Tuesday - 40 kms flatish ride

Wednesday - Hill repeats

Thursday - Sprints

We should be back at the BP by 6.45am on each day.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, just a little on the long side for me for the morning ride during the week. I have to split mine into a 1 hour morning and another 1 hour evening session 4 days a week. Bit of a pain, but traffic to get to work is MORE of a pain..

what time do you go out in the morning? you can join us and be back home by 6.00am by taking a shortcut.

Flat ride - depends on the WIND.

the hill repeats are done on Jip de Jager

sprint sessions along Giel Basson

Is Giel Basson Legal to ride on as its a M19 or something? I need to use it to commute to work and dont want to upset anyone.

Is Giel Basson Legal to ride on as its a M19 or something? I need to use it to commute to work and dont want to upset anyone.

I rode on Giel Basson all the time, never had any issues... from Burgandy estate side it takes you all the way to Stellies (eventually becomes the Stellenbosch Arterial)

Yesterday we did Jip de Jager hill repeats - the little Tierberg climb in Parow really gets the heart pumping.

J d J is about a 4.30min climb.

this morning we did a 9 km circuit along Plattekloof rd, down to Giel Basson and then the Hendrik Verwoed link back up to P'kloof. good for legspeed (down p'kloof) power into the S'easter along G Basson and then that little power climb up H Verwoed. total dostance 41 kms at an ave of 29 kph.

you guys have a good training schedule going there. just keep it consistent and you'll be flying by argus time

I did your circuit yesterday evening and this morning (9km Giel Basson, Hendrik Verwoed and Plattekloof). last night average was 27.3, this morning 28.1 (Less wind this morning :thumbup: )

Nice little "bump" on Hendrik Verwoed Road :blink:

If I can just make 1 suggestion, at the risk of trying to look like a smart-ass. Your sprint training on Thursday, requires your body to be 100% fresh and fully recovered. So for me doing sprints the day after hill repeats is maybe not such a fantastic idea.

If your goal is to improve top speed, your session will be compromised quiet a bit, depending on how hard you went on the hills, but I assume you're going balls to the wall. If your goal is speed endurance, and wish to practise sprinting when the body is slightly fatigued, then the placement of the sessions would be alright, but don't expect your top end speed to be dramatically improved.

It might be a better idea to do hill repeats on Tuesday, easy 40km recovery ride on Wednesday, and repeated sprints on Thursday OR sprints on Tuesday(after rest day) and hill repeats on Thursday.

It's nice to see some cyclists with a plan tho...many cyclists just play their training sessions by ear.

to Slipstream Sean

thanks for the advice , much appreciated.

the thinking behind our (my)schedule was as follows:

i normally still have stiff legs from a Sunday race, hence a rest day on Monday when i attend a pilates class.

in the past i have suffered on a Tuesday doing hill repeats so i decided that a fast flat 40-50k ride on a Tuesday is better to get rid the tired legs.

the Wednesday hill repeats is a 4 min climb and we try to do it 5 times with a half hr ride back home.

the sprint sessions haven't really worked because the wind has been blowing quite severely so we have just worked thru & off into the wind and then worked on pedaling technique and leg speed when riding with the wind.

we then rest Friday.

I did your circuit yesterday evening and this morning (9km Giel Basson, Hendrik Verwoed and Plattekloof). last night average was 27.3, this morning 28.1 (Less wind this morning :thumbup: )

Nice little "bump" on Hendrik Verwoed Road :blink:

this Tuesday we ride from BP down to Paarden Eiland via C City , Sanddrift and Koeberg road. We then ride down otto doeplessis to Big Bay, turn at the circle and back to E'mead. we get back at about 6.30 - 6.45 depending on the wind.

the wind was a bit hectic on the way down to P Eiland.

we didn't dip under 40 kph on the way to Big Bay and then it was thru & off back to the Paddocks at a good average of about 30 kph into the wind. distance 46 k's.a good quality workout.

Wednesday - meet at the Letchworth BP - to the Bothasig Circle, up plattekloof, turn into P'kloof ext and do 1 climb, back down to P'kloof and then onto H Verwoed,down to Jip d Jager do climb and then take it from their deped=nding on the time.

I rode on Giel Basson all the time, never had any issues... from Burgandy estate side it takes you all the way to Stellies (eventually becomes the Stellenbosch Arterial)

You're brave. I wouldn't venture much further past Voortrekker road, some dodgy neighbourhoods between there and the airport.

You're brave. I wouldn't venture much further past Voortrekker road, some dodgy neighbourhoods between there and the airport.

Yip - it has become rather dodgy...