Greasing those cheap-cheap forks

RodTi

Hello All,

Bought a cheap-cheap Suntour fork off a fellow Hubber.

Want to use it on my SS - will worry about something better if the bug bites good and proper...

Opened her up - dirty, and a fair bit of wear and tear... [all good - as expected]

Not concerned about anything too expensive - don't want to waste more money on something that only put me back R300.00 :thumbup:

So - lithium grease it is? Smear around the inners after having cleaned the ugly stuff out... This should keep her going for another month or 6, no? How much is too much grease? When it starts squirting out the top/bottom? :rolleyes:

Any suggestions from those who might have done a cheap-cheap fix on a cheap-cheap fork will be appreciated! Brand-names of the grease - and where to get???

Here be some pics:

post-1360-0-96775900-1296073922.jpg

post-1360-0-05540500-1296073949.png

Fanks!

Rod

A bit of MOTOREX grease on the spring side, and possibly some 5Weight fork oil on the damper side for the sake of the seals.

Can you not download a service manual off the web?

You dont need a lot of grease, and prob about 15-20ml of fork oil injected into the lowers on the damper side before you push the uppers home and tighten up.

Or PM JOHAN B

I've never serviced a coil fork, but my air fork doesn't use any grease, only fork oil. Buy it from a motorbike shop - MUCH cheaper. Just find out what weight and volume you need for your fork.

Rod

A bit of MOTOREX grease on the spring side, and possibly some 5Weight fork oil on the damper side for the sake of the seals.

Can you not download a service manual off the web?

You dont need a lot of grease, and prob about 15-20ml of fork oil injected into the lowers on the damper side before you push the uppers home and tighten up.

Or PM JOHAN B

Thanks Drongo...

Had a look for service manuals - not concerned that much about the spring side - but all that the manuals/vids say about the damper side, as far as servicing is concerned, involves replacing the entire damper unit... :thumbdown:

So will be thinking of simply applying grease both sides - and letting her be... Really not looking for any miracles, just want a reasonably functional unit until I decide if I want to invest in something good...

Will probably drop a line to JB, and abuse his good-natured willingness to supply gratis advice!

[Possibly with the proviso that my next fork will be bought through him! :D ]

Look up the Rockshox sit for a Judy or similar service manual.

It still looks fairly good so the damper side will prob be alright.

After all, they were once all from the same stable!

Cheers. :thumbup:

I've got Axel Manitou's on my old Scott. Every few months I take the lower legs off and clean and lightly grease the insides.

Every 6 months or so I take the spring out, regrease that and change the oil in the damper.

Found it makes a big difference to the feel of the shocks, although last time I took it apart things are starting to look a little 'tired' inside... :(

Removed one of these from my girlfriends Schwinn and put on my old F100. She is very grateful - the bike weighs nearly 1 kg less and the fork - altho 5 years old and abit worn is 1000% better. Those things are real boat anchors and stiction is huge. The problem is they have no lube system like fox and RS forks but are built to look like them ie no dust boots. If they had those, they'd stay stiction free for longer but in my experience, even if you use some fork oil on the seals, stiction builds up fast. Greasing the insides will prolly help - but the weight - its huge!

Anyone want the old Suntour fork by the way - minimal use, a few scratches and lots of stiction. Offers? :D

Th non-spring side (perhaps damper-side is more elegant), gets no grease, just some oil in the bottom. About 10-20ml will do. Use motor oil if you like, it doesn't matter.

The other side gets grease on the spring and oil in the bath. The grease on the spring is just a noise-reducer, so any sticky grease you have handy will work. If it is already greased and not contaminated, don't bother taking off the old grease. Just add some. Too much care spoils those forks and they become all windgat and precocious on you.

Once the damper cartridge pops, let us know and I'll post a work-around for that one too. Whatever you do, don't spend any money on it. Use whatever you have in the garage.

Th non-spring side (perhaps damper-side is more elegant), gets no grease, just some oil in the bottom. About 10-20ml will do. Use motor oil if you like, it doesn't matter.

The other side gets grease on the spring and oil in the bath. The grease on the spring is just a noise-reducer, so any sticky grease you have handy will work. If it is already greased and not contaminated, don't bother taking off the old grease. Just add some. Too much care spoils those forks and they become all windgat and precocious on you.

Once the damper cartridge pops, let us know and I'll post a work-around for that one too. Whatever you do, don't spend any money on it. Use whatever you have in the garage.

Sorry for the hijack, but I think its relevant to the post.

Will the same apply for all coil forks? I have a pre 2008 rs tora sl with coils and if possible I wouldnt want to spend a lot on it

YOU GONNA BREAK YOUR NECK WITH THAT THING. ITS NOT INTENDED FOR OFF ROAD USE.

and if you think im talking crap, wait until you break your neck

:unsure: :blink: :unsure: :blink: :unsure: ?????

Well - you certainly know how to grab a man's attention... And if it's alright with you, I'd love to hear this prior to the breaking of necks...

Though, to be honest, I suspect I know where this is going to go... Joy.

It may not be a downhill fork, but I think it is perfectly OK for its intended use.

You are suggesting that he's going to fall 'cause the fork might break. I think that fork is stronger than modern aluminiu-stanchion forks.

The steerer is steel, pressed into a magnesium crown. The stanchions are steel, the sliders are magnesium, just like otehr forks. Where do you propose it will break?

When new on the bike in the LBS there's a tag around the left leg.CAUTION. not intended for off road use.

Johan and wot happens wen in the blink of an eye the regular intended use turns into a situation where all your prayers are on that front thing. Part no 7 has a plastic thread, that turns into part no 1.

its at that moment, the blink of an eye, dude you havent even started your prayers, when that thing ejects from its hold, firing directly at you, collapsing under weight you have put over it...

RodTi. just dump it, some dude here is selling a fox for 2K. just buy it.

im riding mtb since 1999, ive seen too many people get hurt cause they let something do wot its not intended for.

And yes sure, you will be careful. the environment never is.

When new on the bike in the LBS there's a tag around the left leg.CAUTION. not intended for off road use.

Johan and wot happens wen in the blink of an eye the regular intended use turns into a situation where all your prayers are on that front thing. Part no 7 has a plastic thread, that turns into part no 1.

its at that moment, the blink of an eye, dude you havent even started your prayers, when that thing ejects from its hold, firing directly at you, collapsing under weight you have put over it...

RodTi. just dump it, some dude here is selling a fox for 2K. just buy it.

im riding mtb since 1999, ive seen too many people get hurt cause they let something do wot its not intended for.

And yes sure, you will be careful. the environment never is.

Where else besides offroad are you supposed to use them? Im pretty sure he wont be doing massive jumps on them.