Who will win the Tour de France 2011 based on the new route with more climbs

janneman72

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be between three teams, my first choice is Liquigas, I think they are going to be strong with Basso and Nibali, my second choice is Astana with Kreuziger and Vino, my third choice The Schlecks.

So, I am going with Basso, Nibali or Kreuziger. I am hoping for Nibali.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

So, I am going with Basso, Nibali or Kreuziger. I am hoping for Nibali.

I believe Kreuzinger is going for the win at the Giro,so count him out for the Tour. He's good, but not good enough to do a double...

Bobster, how many have a double in the same year ?

Only 7 have ever done a giro-tour double. The last being pantani.

(Merckx did it three times!)

No cyclist has ever won all three Grand Tour events in the same year.

Only five cyclists have won all three of the Grand Tours during their career:

Jacques Anquetil (FRA): 5 Tours (1957, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964), 2 Giri (1960, 1964), 1 Vuelta (1963).

Alberto Contador (ESP): 3 Tours (2007, 2009, 2010), 1 Giro (2008), 1 Vuelta (2008)

Felice Gimondi (ITA): 1 Tour (1965), 3 Giri (1967, 1969, 1976), 1 Vuelta (1968)

Bernard Hinault (FRA): 5 Tours (1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1985), 3 Giri (1980, 1982, 1985), 2 Vueltas (1978, 1983)

Eddy Merckx (BEL): 5 Tours (1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974), 5 Giri (1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974), 1 Vuelta (1973)

Edited by TNT1

*slowbee puts on fire proof undies*

is this why some people regard alberto as such a good rider in comparison to LA ?

is this why some people regard alberto as such a good rider in comparison to LA ?

Yip. (well, one of the reasons... ;) )

Who Else Is riding, Im a bit out of the loop (been of velopages for to long :blush:

I take it the fact that theres so much climbing takes guys like Evans & Vinikorof out? Is Evans still riding or is he still crying about last years crash? Looks like he is riding but I dont think he can climb with the top guys.

I love Vino, Just cause the oke is as crazy as sa flipping fruitbat, and actually makes for good watching.

I recon If Basso's training is right he has enough experiance to try some tricks on "the stick insect"

Otherwise Christian Vandevelde can climb, maybe not a direct threat.

I, Donno, Anyone but Schlek

I believe Kreuzinger is going for the win at the Giro,so count him out for the Tour. He's good, but not good enough to do a double...

Oh, Okay, I thought he was going to be doing the tour not the Giro.

....but if he do's the Giro, I can only see Nibali as opposition.

In which case Nibali cant be a contender at the Tour either, so I will have to adjust my wish list somewhat...........

........I hope for a Basso win. :D

We need another Pantani!!!

Well, Contador already has the drugs in his system... so, you hold him down, I'll get the clippers.

AC also won three Grand Tours in a row.