The 31-year-old noob

wesley_r

Dirtopia, Delvera outside Stellenbosch. It's essentially a 4x / pump type track. Jumps, lots of different lines, big berms. We should definitely head down sometime as a group.

Would be cool to go ride there sometime! I'll try and convince my boet as well as Bos to come with.

As long as most of the jumps are manualable (if there's such a word) I'm keen. My jumping skills are non-existent, but I need to find an excuse to work on them ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as most of the jumps are manualable (if there's such a word)

They are. I can't jump to save my life - you can manual, pump or jump depending on your mood... :thumbup:

It really is lekker. We should really organise a group and pull through sometime

• 3 months later...

noob update! let's revive this thread shall we...

so as most of you know I finally got my new whip - my Commencal Meta 5.5, '07 model, I upgraded it a bit and it's got new paint :clap:

riding the full susser is giving me a lot more confidence and I'm having way more fun and going faster and faster. A few seconds into this video (about the 11sec mark) I hit a jump at Majik forest that I've been eyeing out since I started riding! It's not very big, but to a noob like me it's huge, and finally hitting it is a nice confidence boost!

and then this last weekend I did the DS race at Nitida! There were a good few DJ / DH / FR guys there posting some insane times - my best time was a 29.something but for me, again, that's a great achievement! All I wanted to do all day was post a sub 30 second time and finally I did (even though Rika Olivier kicked my ass). Apparently my top speed on one of my runs was 39.6km/h so I was chuffed with that as well

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there!!

post-12904-0-31574900-1314720533.jpg

post-12904-0-92014900-1314720535.jpg

post-12904-0-91786400-1314720537.jpg

post-12904-0-83934300-1314720539.jpg

I am turning 40 this year and I recently started looking at my trail bike in a whole different light... My new year's resolution is to learn to jump! I am getting tired of the 40km races and wnat something different. Hopefully I will be part of the gravity club soon. You guys seem so chilled!! :thumbup:

And how are you going about it? I am a couple of years younger, but very much in the same boat

Awesome, bro! Can't wait until my FS is built up and ready to rip!

How's that going btw, haven't seen pics lately?

Edited by Zaskar09

noob update! let's revive this thread shall we...

so as most of you know I finally got my new whip - my Commencal Meta 5.5, '07 model, I upgraded it a bit and it's got new paint :clap:

riding the full susser is giving me a lot more confidence and I'm having way more fun and going faster and faster. A few seconds into this video (about the 11sec mark) I hit a jump at Majik forest that I've been eyeing out since I started riding! It's not very big, but to a noob like me it's huge, and finally hitting it is a nice confidence boost!

and then this last weekend I did the DS race at Nitida! There were a good few DJ / DH / FR guys there posting some insane times - my best time was a 29.something but for me, again, that's a great achievement! All I wanted to do all day was post a sub 30 second time and finally I did (even though Rika Olivier kicked my ass). Apparently my top speed on one of my runs was 39.6km/h so I was chuffed with that as well

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there!!

Nice you should join us on the night rides

http://www.youtube.com/user/covieza?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/0mBG34sQNGg

How's that going btw, haven't seen pics lately?

It's hangin well!

First coat of colour went on the frame this evening. Looks darker than originally thought, but that's not a bad thing!

Had a bit of a fail on the fork lowers though. A bit of moisture got in and RUINED the existing primer application, so I'm going to have to sand that back down again and start over on some areas of the fork. Pissed. And I'm out of primer. Double pissed!

Anyway. 2nd coat to go on tonight, and then a light light light sand tomorrow afternoon before the clearcoat goes on. Still need to finish stripping the swingarm though. That's been on the backburner due to work commitments (ie: I gotta make myself some money!)

I hope to be totally done by the weekend. I'm home most of tomorrow anyway (working from home 'cos the SAPO don't know how to confirm a delivery time for the packages) so will get most of that done then.

Other than that, it's all go!

This week im moving so im pretty much spending the week packing but basically whenever we get the chance Cap look me up on FB then ill let you know when we go. ill send you my details in pm

Awesome!

What happened at about 1:06?!

Awesome!

What happened at about 1:06?!

hahaha, I wish I knew :D clipped something with my pedal i think