The 31-year-old noob

wesley_r

So Sunday morning myself, Cap and a friend of mine hit up Majik for a chilled trail ride. I realised how unfit I am when it took me ages to pedal up the hills - but then on the way down things got interesting.

Thinking that Cap and said friend were still ahead of me (I had stopped just before the descent to pump my tyre) I was trying as hard as I could to make up time. By the time I got to the forest section I had settled into a very nice rythm, determined to catch them. At that last gnarly bit (by the corner of the dam) were a bunch of cops (patrolling the forest I think, getting rid of undesirables) I greeted them as I whizzed past (the 1 cop jumped about a metre up and a metre back thinking I was heading for him) and decided to put on a show - by hitting that gnarly section as hard and fast as I could - and hit it hard and fast I did! I proceeded to blast through there faster than I ever have before, and way smoother!

That short little gnarly bit may not seem like much, but hitting it the way I did has some significance. Firstly, it means I am finally getting my riding, and rythm, to a place where I am satisfied with how I'm riding. Secondly, it means I am starting to gel with my new bike, which, by the way, is an absolute gem on gnarly stuff like that! Thirdly, my confidence is now through the roof! And lastly, there's no feeling like flow!

O yeah, and when I finally got to the car park I realised I'd been chasing ghosts - my riding buddies had taken another route down and were actually behind me :lol:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha! Ja, that little section can catch you out very easily, especialy if it's wet and snotty. Lots of roots sticking out that can easily change the direction you're going in! I have on occasion not made the corner to the left at the bottom of that section...

Ha ha! Ja, that little section can catch you out very easily, especialy if it's wet and snotty. Lots of roots sticking out that can easily change the direction you're going in! I have on occasion not made the corner to the left at the bottom of that section...

I have, on occasion, almost made out with the tree in that corner :thumbup:

hey tree hugger, you better not bail come saturday ;)none of this springbok dung that's coming down on the 25 Sept :P

hey tree hugger, you better not bail come saturday ;)none of this springbok dung that's coming down on the 25 Sept :P

Oh by the way Cap, do you ride your M9 in Majik or do you have another bike for riding there? Would love to see that M9 in flight over the jump just after the log drop as you go into the trees just after the bridge (phew, long sentence)

heya Banna :)

only been to Majik with the M9 twice now i think? :unsure: I might be there this saturday after DS prac and yes, Boost the bridge, hook those bends, over log drop, pedal pedal, over that jump, but NOT into the trees :P

heya Banna :)

only been to Majik with the M9 twice now i think? :unsure: I might be there this saturday after DS prac and yes, Boost the bridge, hook those bends, over log drop, pedal pedal, over that jump, but NOT into the trees :P

:D Don't have the balls just yet, to do that final jump. The Tracer is urging me on every time I go down there, and then I just need to remind him, that we don't have any kind of body armour should things go south!

so come mayhem and anyone else. This saturday, 14h00 onward, nitida farm. it's just a friendly get2gether for pracs and giggles.

well, the GT, along with the M9 is not the best of bikes for that sorta thing. But bring it along. If i'm not wasted by this damn bug, then I'm gonna hit up majik afterward. Chase that tree hugger down.. ;)

Edited by Capricorn

• 1 month later...

progress! today I finally hit an obstacle at Majik Forest that I've been checking out for a long time, but never had the courage to hit! Those that know the spot will realise the photo doesn't do justice to how scary these rocks are from the top for a noob like me :thumbup:

I also broke my personal best beacon-to-parking time, from 7 minutes to 6:43. Feeling confident now! Have yet to take my new bike to Contermanskloof though so that's next on the agenda!

post-12904-0-31325000-1318178410.jpg

progress! today I finally hit an obstacle at Majik Forest that I've been checking out for a long time, but never had the courage to hit! Those that know the spot will realise the photo doesn't do justice to how scary these rocks are from the top for a noob like me :thumbup:

I also broke my personal best beacon-to-parking time, from 7 minutes to 6:43. Feeling confident now! Have yet to take my new bike to Contermanskloof though so that's next on the agenda!

That looks like quite a gnarly little section...