Idiot drove at 180kmh on Rhodes drive and posted it onto Youtube

Mike45

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I'm not arguing with the illegality of this twits actions. Thing is we take our lives in our hands every time we drive or ride. The vast majority of accidents are not caused by blokes like this but by slack non concentrating people who belive a car is solely a conveyance and havent the first idea about how to drive or the laws of physics that govern the process.

Rhodes drive has the odd jogger but its no pedestrian thoroughfare. I couldnt hear tyre noise in the corners so chances are he wasnt anyhwere near track speed on the bends. 180 on a near deserted straight with a perfect tar surface - crazy illegal speed but not nearly as dangerous as you claim - its also an uphill. Worn tyres - you make much of that and seem to read in that he was driving treadless tyres with steel showing. I wonder.

My 2c - less hysteria and indignation at one tjop and more realism required.

I could hear tires screeching. Are you saying we should all try our hands on rhodes drive at 100km/h or 200km/h?

Gmmfff, youngsters of today. :P

Have got a pic (taken by me whilst driving) doing close to 220km/h in my modded Nissan SSS Turbo in the late 80's. This was at night on the road between Magalies and Rustenburg.

What am I trying to say? WE ALL ARE BONKERS SOMETIME IN OUR LIVES, AND DO IRRESPONSIBLE THINGS. As a matter of fact, I can't remember when last I was even over 160km/h in my modern car, so with age comes sobriety.

I do not condone this chaps actions, now of the firm belief that shenanigans like this belongs to the track.

This might just beat the snake thread :D

Gmmfff, youngsters of today. :P

Have got a pic (taken by me whilst driving) doing close to 220km/h in my modded Nissan SSS Turbo in the late 80's. This was at night on the road between Magalies and Rustenburg.

What am I trying to say? WE ALL ARE BONKERS SOMETIME IN OUR LIVES, AND DO IRRESPONSIBLE THINGS. As a matter of fact, I can't remember when last I was even over 160km/h in my modern car, so with age comes sobriety.

I do not condone this chaps actions, now of the firm belief that shenanigans like this belongs to the track.

You see how things have changed, I wont even drive 100km/h on that road in the daytime! There are always accidents on that stretch of the R24.

I did not even know Nissans could go that fast... :rolleyes:

He can definitely handle a car but he is obviously arrogant and looking for some kind of street cred.

Even before watching this Video I would never cycle or jog that road. Its damn risky when cars are going

60kmh let alone 180kmh.

the guy is a chop and should get his ass whipped, just for the sheer stupidity and arrogance of posting and boasting about this. BUT if he is arrested, sentenced and jailed, should i and Wannabe not be as well. I have not posted videos, but at some point in my life i have also driven like an absolute chop trying to be a hero? I aint no hypocrite!

I would also LOVE to know, how many people here have ever driven a car whilst intoxicated? Cause driving slowly drunk is O.K.A.Y!

Edited by Chubba

You see how things have changed, I wont even drive 100km/h on that road in the daytime! There are always accidents on that stretch of the R24.

I did not even know Nissans could go that fast... :rolleyes:

It was in the late 80's (88/89) those roads were a lot quiter then. You're right, these days even 100km/h is pushing it.

Just a bit more perspective on this. I was young, just left the SAPS where I was in the flying squid (done advanced driver training, etc, "thought" I could handle a car).Worked at Sun City as a Security Manager, suddenly I earned more than double my SAPS salary and then bought the flashiest car I wanted/could afford. THOUGHT I WAS INVINCIBLE, TODAY I KNOW I WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!!

Edited by Wannabe

He can definitely handle a car but he is obviously arrogant and looking for some kind of street cred.

Even before watching this Video I would never cycle or jog that road. Its damn risky when cars are going

60kmh let alone 180kmh.

Street cred with such bad cornering? I doubt it. All he can do is go fast in a straight line.

I could hear tires screeching. Are you saying we should all try our hands on rhodes drive at 100km/h or 200km/h?

Okay, will listen again.

Not at all - in fact the average speed on Rhodes is either 60 or less and its often packed with cars so I'd suggest somehwere else. Its also too narrow and has no run off areas and deep rain gutters at the side which make both driving and riding a bike hazardous. :) I ride my mtb on the gravel at the side - may have been hit by trucks by now if i hadn't.

By all means go to a track or do an advanced driving course to learn what you and your car can do.

As I said less hysteria about one oke - he isnt the devil, just one of many we face.

I doubt anyone has gone 180km/h in a 60km/h road. Anyway Chubba, maybe you should join Bubba in jail as his number one fan?

sure, no-one has ever driven at that speed in a 60kmh zone - just this guy. mabye you should come to sea point beach road and see what goes on.

you are definitely going to win the all-round 100% law abiding good citizen scout badge Mike! :thumbup:

Edited by Chubba

Street cred with such bad cornering? I doubt it. All he can do is go fast in a straight line.

So now you are the expert on car cornering - thought you'd never speed or drive dangerously? Pray tell how he should have handled those twisties? :rolleyes:

Okay, will listen again.

Not at all - in fact the average speed on Rhodes is either 60 or less and its often packed with cars so I'd suggest somehwere else. Its also too narrow and has no run off areas and deep rain gutters at the side which make both driving and riding a bike hazardous. :) I ride my mtb on the gravel at the side - may have been hit by trucks by now if i hadn't.

By all means go to a track or do an advanced driving course to learn what you and your car can do.

As I said less hysteria about one oke - he isnt the devil, just one of many we face.

If he had hit one of your family and put that person in a wheelchair for life or worse, I'm sure that person would think about devils.

Driving like that increases the risks of an accident involving other road users who actually obey the law. You always hear of cyclists getting killed on the roads, many times by hit-and-run drivers.

This guy has now denied having driven in those videos. If he had knocked over a cyclist - he would probably also deny it. Shows he is a coward with such an inferiority complex that he needs to put other people's lives at risk for his cheap thrill. What a selfish arrogant ****.

100%

I get really upset when stupid f&^&ers!! drive on our roads like this!!

The speed limits are there for a very good reason.

I hope this guy knocks a tree all by himself in the middle of nowhere and gets the steering wheel through his head that he deserves.

I know I am being harsh, but a idiot like this will never change and oneday he is going to kill 20 cyclists and he is going to claim the sun was in his eyes and he is going to walk away free.

At 180km/h you are traveling 50 meters per second. A good new car will stop from 100km/h in around 3-4 seconds. I dont even want to guess the amount of tarmac and time he would need to bring his death machine to a halt if he needed to stop quickly. But I can probably say that you are looking at 300 meters to stop the herse.

At 250km/h you are covering 70meters per second. And you are probably looking at around at least 8 seconds to bring that thing to a standstill. Yes, count it out in your head, it is a cr@p long time.

It is simple, if you speed, you are a killer. Something will happen someday when you are speeding and it doesnt matter if you are a racing driver or not or what you are driving, physics are against you. You are going to demolish whatever gets in your path.

Whoever was moaning earlier that you drive better faster, well the best of luck to you bud when you are bubba's bitch oneday. :drool:

The speed limits are there for a reason, if you obey them, if something does go wrong you have so much more chance of reacting in time and saving someones life.

I cant remember the stats, but if you drive 140 opposed to 110 on the n1, the chance of dying in something going wrong on the road goes up many many times.

Ive also had enough of superbikes flying past me, but that is enough ranting for now else I may pop. :cursing:

Not to mention the statistics. Say he has a 1% chance of crashing on that road for every time he has his bit of fun, then if 100 people do it, statistically there should be one crash.

People can debate about whether he is a good or bad driver - who cares. He is way over the limit and taking the lives of others into his own hands. Just for a cheap thrill.

Simple physics will tell you that the momentum is mv^2. Mass times velocity squared. A car crash at 120km/h has 4 times more energy and devastation that a crash at 60km/h. 180km/h is 9 times more devastation.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9820/carcr21.gif

If he gets to keep his license then he has a license to kill and it gives everyone on the road a license to do what he has done.

Edited by Mike45

So now you are the expert on car cornering - thought you'd never speed or drive dangerously? Pray tell how he should have handled those twisties? :rolleyes:

I do not speed and drive dangerously, you are correct. :) I do not film myself going 180km/h over Rhodes drive and then not be man enough to admit it.

And you Bubba will probably volunteer to be this guy's jail-mate as you are obviously in awe of him and his number one fan. I don't think the Sea-point guys post their videos onto Youtube for the world to see and then deny it where his hands are clearly visible and you can hear his high-pitched voice.

so what's the issue mike, that he was speeding, orrrr that he was video taping himself, posted it, got caught and is now denying it?

i still do not believe we are hearing the full story from you! doesn't make sense that your taking this all so personally!

Edited by Chubba

I do not speed and drive dangerously, you are correct. :) I do not film myself going 180km/h over Rhodes drive and then not be man enough to admit it.

Okay, so you have no clue as to whether he was cormering well or badly. The poor cornering comment was just some exaggeration from your side to add to the general hysteria about the plonker?

I have to admit that i do speed almost every week as i love taking my wifes R36 Passat out @ 250km/h on the German highways....but then again i also get over taken quite often at that speed.

The guy is a ******** for doing what he did but let it go now. ;)