Road shoes or Mountain shoes?

Velocirapture

Hi Hubbers

I've currently got one set of shoes (MTB) that i use on my road bike and mtb.

I've got the chance to get a brand spanking new pair of shoes (Tongue lucky me), and i'm still tossing up the pros and cons of getting either a new set of MTB shoes (my current ones are fine but 3 years old) or making the big change to real road shoes and pedals for my road bike... (entry level road bike, but gets lots of use. will be DC'ing this year)

So, what are folks' ideas on the pros and cons of road shoes and mtb shoes??

you can walk in mtb shoes. not the duck imitation you do in road shoes. know plenty of people who use spd (that what you use) cleats on the mountain bikes. also heard the odd complaint from peeps who have switched about knee problems but that's most probably an alignment issue.

ok, the reason i asked is that the soles on some mtb shoes have a little more give than road shoes, but those two pairs are much of a muchness in terms of the sole and ratcheting systems. stick with the mtb, then you've got a pair to use with both bikes when the oldies give up the ghost.  holy roller2007-10-30 09:49:47

have been a sworn s"pd"er until a recent spending fit where i aquired road shoes/pedals (shimano whatever shoes and shimano dura ace pedals), must say for me it makes a diffirence (positive)

Because of the bigger contact patch between the soles of your feet and the pedal (bigger cleats=bigger contact area), you theoreticaly transfer more power with road cleats. Mtb spd's also can give you "burning feet" feeling because of smaller contact arera. (not my wisdom, read it somewhere in a book)

So, depends what youre aim is, to go faster, or to walk around with your cycling shoes on (Mtb shoes if you are doing a lot of walking/pushing uphill.)Wink

I have two pairs of MTB shoes so when I purchased my road bike it was instinct to purchase another set of eggbeaters.

However, I'm now considering going the full roadie thing and buying roadie shoes and pedals.

Because of the bigger contact patch between the soles of your feet and the pedal (bigger cleats=bigger contact area)' date=' you theoreticaly transfer more power with road cleats. Mtb spd's also can give you "burning feet" feeling because of smaller contact arera. (not my wisdom, read it somewhere in a book)

So, depends what youre aim is, to go faster, or to walk around with your cycling shoes on (Mtb shoes if you are doing a lot of walking/pushing uphill.)Wink
[/quote']

so the question might be why aren't MTB cleats bigger? Do you need less power transferred than on a rd bike?

I am riding my rd bike with my mtb shoes at the moment - it was a cash related choice plus I scored a set of spd's so it made sense....but if cash wasnt a problem at the moment I'd love to see what the difference is

Road for road' date=' MTB for MTB. World of difference in stiffeness of soles.

[/quote']

not always, my lg revo road shoe is essentially the same as the lg montana mtb shoe, except the sole of the mtb shoe has extra rubber bits added on to "recess" the cleat.
holy roller2007-10-31 08:07:47

BG, I think that is the theory part.  I have done rides in SPD's on a road bike and felt no difference!