which ratio is better ...11-25 or 12-25

Puppy

Im changing my cassette becoz i need an extra climbing gear..at present im riding an 11-23 cassette. which would be better to change to 11-25 or 12-25 and what is the differance between the two..

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im changing my cassette becoz i need an extra climbing gear..at present im riding an 11-23 cassette. which would be better to change to 11-25 or 12-25 and what is the differance between the two..

11-15 will give you the same topend with beter climbing ,with a 12-25 you will drop on the topend ;)

No idea what exactly will happen if you swing to a 11-25 but.....

I have an 11-25 setup and it works just fine. Jumps between gears are not bad (11sp) and the 25 helps up the really steep stuff.

Only way to know is to try! :thumbup:

If you are looking for an extra climbing gear, get an Ultegra 11-28 cassette. The 11 allows you to grind away with the pack and not get left behind on downhills, and the 28 allows you spin up steep stuff, rather than waste energy standing and using a 25.

I use a 11-26 SRAM cassette for the same reason - very acceptable and smooth shifting on the entire range and you can keep your top end speed

It depends on how steep your hills are.

But I have a Sram 11-26 with my Dura Ace.

The 26 helps me spin a bit more on the climbs

and thee 11 is good for chasing when I get dropped on the said climbs.

11-28? Thats like a MTB ratio,lol

I use an Ultegra 11-27, I rarely use the 27, but its nice to have just in case your not feeling too strong up a steep climb (like Vissershok). Just watch out before you buy though - as many of the casettes with bigger ratio's are not compatable with older rear derailleurs.

Edited by Bram_on_Madone

I use an Ultegra 11-27, I rarely use the 27, but its nice to have just in case your not feeling too strong up a steep climb (like Vissershok). Just watch out before you buy though - as many of the casettes with bigger ratio's are not compatable with older rear derailleurs.

the 27 is like a spare weel, you never know when you wil need one :D

11-25 works for me (Gauteng). On holliday in Balito and last year in Knysna I could have used a 27 but that kind of hill is rare up here. Shifting is fine and the 11 is great on the chase.

Just an observation from my side, purely my opinion: riders are generally too inclined to spin and not find the gear most appropriate to the hill. Often, a slightly smaller cog will gain a lot of speed for not much more effort.

11 - 32....

(pulls off the cloak and mask revealing himself to be an MTB'er...)

Edited by iRob

No idea what exactly will happen if you swing to a 11-25 but.....

I have an 11-25 setup and it works just fine. Jumps between gears are not bad (11sp) and the 25 helps up the really steep stuff.

Only way to know is to try! :thumbup:

next we will hear a 11-27 combo.... ;)