which ratio is better ...11-25 or 12-25

Puppy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride 11sp 11-23...I have every gear except a 22 tooth sprocket. I guess a 25 might be handy, and I"d prob get a 11-25 on my next cassette, but I'm so used to it...and btw I still refer to my 23 as granny gear.

Im changing my cassette becoz i need an extra climbing gear..at present im riding an 11-23 cassette. which would be better to change to 11-25 or 12-25 and what is the differance between the two..

All depends on what size chainblades you riding

only difference is 11 - 23 has closer ratio than 11 - 25

Most people will never fully use the 11 anyway. I would say only about 10% of riders can fully utilize the 53/11 ratio.

Go with 12 - 25 if you need an easier ration and you are running 53 - 39 up front.

Guest agteros

Yesterday I found the limits of 52x12 trying to hang with the A bunch. Would gladly have swopped anything for a 53x11 right there.

I use a 11-23 with a compact crank, I have no issues going over Boyes drive, chapmans peak or Suikerbossie....If you start going to light you waste power by spinning your @ass of to stay in the bunch on a climb....

Which reminds me - I thought about it in the shower this morning for some reason, maybe derailleur fetish or something - don't forget that you might have to sdjust the screw underneath (some of them are quite hidden) the rear derailleur. That's so the jockey clears the larger sprocket when you change, otherwise you're going to have pieces of metal and plastic all over the place.

11-28? Thats like a MTB ratio,lol

when you have raced 'Price Waterhouse Coopers MagoebasKloof Challenge' you will know exactly why the 28 is useful.

Also nice when training at Suikerbosrand...

I use a 11-23 with a compact crank, I have no issues going over Boyes drive, chapmans peak or Suikerbossie....If you start going to light you waste power by spinning your @ass of to stay in the bunch on a climb....

Not really, you use surprisingly less energy spinning lighter gears, and can accellerate very quickly too if needs be, by changing down to the 25/23. Its the old Armstrong/Ulrich equation. Grinding heavy gears required 'He Man' effort

I ride 11sp 11-23...I have every gear except a 22 tooth sprocket. I guess a 25 might be handy, and I"d prob get a 11-25 on my next cassette, but I'm so used to it...and btw I still refer to my 23 as granny gear.

I bet you R50 you dont have a 20 either!

I ride 11-25 on my tantem but on my tt and road bike I alternate between 11-23 and 12-25. The wide ratio 11-25 doesnt have a 16 and I shall much rather keep my 16 than any other gear on a single bike.

Not really, you use surprisingly less energy spinning lighter gears, and can accellerate very quickly too if needs be, by changing down to the 25/23. Its the old Armstrong/Ulrich equation. Grinding heavy gears required 'He Man' effort

I find u have to spin way faster to keep up then making u tired if its over a period of lets say 2km, the heavier gears probably help if you have stronger legs then? With my setup I went up Redhill comfortably, even Vissershok was manageble :)

Guess its personal preference, but don't think I will use a 11-23 with a 42/53 crank setup....

I also hear if you go for above 25 then you need a Long cage RD?

Tsk! Girls, girls, girls! What you need are nice 52/42 blades in front and a 14-19 group at the back and you're set to go.

I find u have to spin way faster to keep up then making u tired if its over a period of lets say 2km, the heavier gears probably help if you have stronger legs then? With my setup I went up Redhill comfortably, even Vissershok was manageble :)

Guess its personal preference, but don't think I will use a 11-23 with a 42/53 crank setup....

I also hear if you go for above 25 then you need a Long cage RD?

Nope, didnt change my derailleur cage. It all comes down to your style of riding and VO2 fitness. If you race at an average cadance of 85-95, then the lighter gears keep you at that cadence over most hills, without having to stand up and waste energy. If you prefer a cadence of 75, then the heavy gearing is what you will be used to.

The higher your VO2 max, the higher is your cardiovascular fitness, and you can spin faster than most other riders, and switch regularily between your gears to attack, and relax.

I have been riding 53-39 with 11-23 cluster at the back I find I only have problems keeping with thr group up really steep climbs.

I have swopped now to 12-25 for the 99'er fisserhok and oodendal I will need that extra gear :blush:

But I would suggest having the two differnt clusters and swopping them out depending on the race.

90% of the time the 11-23 with teh standard crank works for me.

See lots of people going to compact crank now with 11-23 setup.