Riding / Racing HR Intensities?? HELP

So, been thinking about this for some time, cause what generally happens is that I am ShAtTeRrEd by 80odd km and finish at a crawl.

Needing some advice from the "serious" funriders and Racing Snakes :rolleyes:

So this is my story, maybe some can relate to it.

What I generally find happens, is that the group goes off and I end up screaming my heart rate in the first 5km to something like 80% of Max, just to hold on in the beginning of a ride. Then it drops off and plateau's for a while in the high 60% - 70% range where I dont feel like I am riding strongly. SO, me being the clever one, gets over excited and runs off at 80% odd for a while, get myself shattered and then get passed by every Tom, Dick and Nellie the Elephant in the last 20km :blush: . OR I go nicely at 80% odd, get to a climb and stuff myself trying to get up there....

So, I have pretty much worked out, at about 65% of Max HR, I am doing about 27km/h and feeling like I am not riding too hard. Should I just maintain this.... watch the group go and push hard into the climbs???? Bearing in mind... I am NOT a "racing" funrider! Or do I just push it and try keep up only to get dropped on the hills?? :blush:

I trained yesterday at 86% average to Max HR for an hour and a half and I was a "Tad" tired last night, do you think that this could have a positive on any of the above, or a negative impact???

Sorry hubbers, lots of questions, but really trying to improve and would value your input!

You start interval training. That will prepare you for these hard attacks.

Example program ( Tuesdays on indoor trainer)

10 Minutes warm-up

the 3 Minutes at Threshold HR (85% - 90%)

Recover 2 Minutes at 60%

Do ten of these and cool down for 10 Minutes

Thursdays

10 Minute Warm-up

10 Minutes at Threshold

5 Minutes recovery

Repeat 4 times

Do this for 3 Weeks and the recover week.

This will prepare you well

Thanks Joker. Been looking at Interval Training and there is soo much info out there that it just gets too bloody confusing, so I opt for a 1 HARD day, One Recovery Day, then 1 Hill Attack day during the week with a 2 hr and a 3 hr weekend rides.... Just to calm myself a little more I think when it comes to "fun" rides

Some advice i got in the past. If you're feeling good in the first half of the race, try and rest the legs and ride as little as possible on the front (i know its hard when you're trying to drive the pace). Once you're past half way, you can ride off the group if you can maybe see a group up ahead OR if you can ride some time into the bunch on a climb. Try to always keep your HR as low as possible and shelter from the wind as much as you can. Often the last 20km of the race are a bit faster.

I find my heart rate usually averages about 85% during a race. Also when you work out your max HR is it based on calculation or the highest you've attained during a ride? The ride you did yesterday, did it feel like race pace or was it easier/harder? You'll have to push yourself out of your comfort zone completely if you want to be able to do it in a race

Some advice i got in the past. If you're feeling good in the first half of the race, try and rest the legs and ride as little as possible on the front (i know its hard when you're trying to drive the pace). Once you're past half way, you can ride off the group if you can maybe see a group up ahead OR if you can ride some time into the bunch on a climb. Try to always keep your HR as low as possible and shelter from the wind as much as you can. Often the last 20km of the race are a bit faster.

I find my heart rate usually averages about 85% during a race. Also when you work out your max HR is it based on calculation or the highest you've attained during a ride? The ride you did yesterday, did it feel like race pace or was it easier/harder? You'll have to push yourself out of your comfort zone completely if you want to be able to do it in a race

Nice advice, thanks Nilasvm.

I am going to attempt that on the weekend in both the 99'er and the Three passes. I think I don gt a little over excited :blush: .

My Max Heart Heart is actual, took an average Max HR after climbing a 2.6km hill (Malanshoogte) 3 times as hard as I could. Worked out to a max of 194.

The ride I did yesterday, I was going for it, definately harder than a race pace. I dont think I every train lightly, I tend to hammer myself for the short time that I am out on the road during the week cause I have so little time (+/- 1 and a half hours). Problem is, come the weekend, i tend to hammer it cause that is the pace that I am used to riding at during the week and I simply cant sustain it for longer than an hour and half :blush:

Your base needs improving too, First get a nice base, at lower HR, and then start to do the serious intervals.

Determine your Lactic Threshold and try not to venture for too long above that during races.

Nice advice, thanks Nilasvm.

I am going to attempt that on the weekend in both the 99'er and the Three passes. I think I don gt a little over excited :blush: .

My Max Heart Heart is actual, took an average Max HR after climbing a 2.6km hill (Malanshoogte) 3 times as hard as I could. Worked out to a max of 194.

The ride I did yesterday, I was going for it, definately harder than a race pace. I dont think I every train lightly, I tend to hammer myself for the short time that I am out on the road during the week cause I have so little time (+/- 1 and a half hours). Problem is, come the weekend, i tend to hammer it cause that is the pace that I am used to riding at during the week and I simply cant sustain it for longer than an hour and half :blush:

You need sufficient recovery time as well. Thats when you get stronger. It doesn't help if you're always tired.

With the racing season upon us there's very little time to train intervals more than once a week. A typical week should look like:

Sunday - Race

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Intervals (if you're up to it otherwise ride at ave of 70%)

Wednesday - Ride at 70% (or do intervals depending on what you did on tues)

Thurs - Tempo ride: 80-85%

Friday - 70% ride

Saturday - Very easy leg loosener before the race

It doesn't matter for how long you ride for if you've got sufficient base in your legs.

Your base needs improving too, First get a nice base, at lower HR, and then start to do the serious intervals.

Determine your Lactic Threshold and try not to venture for too long above that during races.

Base = low HR???

I dont have a problem doing 120km at 65 - 70% of Max HR, but just cant sustain the 85% longer. Would more of a base assist with that? Riding at lower HR??

You need sufficient recovery time as well. Thats when you get stronger. It doesn't help if you're always tired.

With the racing season upon us there's very little time to train intervals more than once a week. A typical week should look like:

Sunday - Race

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Intervals (if you're up to it otherwise ride at ave of 70%)

Wednesday - Ride at 70% (or do intervals depending on what you did on tues)

Thurs - Tempo ride: 80-85%

Friday - 70% ride

Saturday - Very easy leg loosener before the race

It doesn't matter for how long you ride for if you've got sufficient base in your legs.

I like the look of that :thumbup: Thanks Niklasvm. I am going to use it from this evening and see how I feel at the end of the Medallion on the 20th of Feb :thumbup: .

Thanks for the great advice, I really appreciate it.

Base = low HR???

I dont have a problem doing 120km at 65 - 70% of Max HR, but just cant sustain the 85% longer. Would more of a base assist with that? Riding at lower HR??

Hi, From what I see is you need to do intervals as suggested as to ensure you improve endurance as well as endurance power .

My AVG heart rate is between 85-90% of MHR for a race and if you do not train at these levels you will not be able to race there for long.

Intervals allow you to spend time in these zones while allowing you to recover inbetween and therefore spending more time at higher heart rate than you would without the rest in between.

Look at training4cyclist.com somebody advised me to read it.

Also you can get a training program from Maryks which is designed for you specifically.

Hi, From what I see is you need to do intervals as suggested as to ensure you improve endurance as well as endurance power .

My AVG heart rate is between 85-90% of MHR for a race and if you do not train at these levels you will not be able to race there for long.

Intervals allow you to spend time in these zones while allowing you to recover inbetween and therefore spending more time at higher heart rate than you would without the rest in between.

Look at training4cyclist.com somebody advised me to read it.

Also you can get a training program from Maryks which is designed for you specifically.

Awesome, thanks Cheese, will go have a squizz at the site now as well. :thumbup:

Base = low HR???

Yep, do LSD - Loooooooong Steady Distance. 65 - 80 should do the trick, If you are like me, you will keel over on the hills at 70%. First 2.5 hrs plus, then 3 hrs, then 4 hrs...

Yep, do LSD - Loooooooong Steady Distance. 65 - 80 should do the trick, If you are like me, you will keel over on the hills at 70%. First 2.5 hrs plus, then 3 hrs, then 4 hrs...

Thanks buddy. I am gonna incorporate it into the weekend training days and aim to have just one as a LSD ride.

Thanks for all the advice hubbers :thumbup: